PDA

View Full Version : Hunting in layout boats?

huntingmarsh
07-31-2004, 12:14 AM
I just recently bought a Momarsh Layout boat and was training with my year and 3 month old YLF and everytime I pulled her into the boat the water from her would get into the boat and after her shook off a couple of times I was pretty wet. I have a vest for her and I was thinking maybe if she wears that there will be less water when she shakes off. If you guys have any tricks I could use I would really appreciate it:hp: .

Thanks
Corey

Ruff
07-31-2004, 05:42 AM
Take this for what it's worth. Dog's and layout boat hunting do not mix! If your truely hunting in a layout and have the decoys out on long lines and your dog get's hung in a line. You have a dead dog unless a tender boat can get there quick enough. Or if you get a cripple that's way out and you send your pup and the crip stays ahead of the dog until almost out of sight spells trouble also.

But if your using it in a marsh situation that could be different. All I can say is if your hunting with a dog and in a confined area like a layout your gonna get wet no matter what! A good waterproof jacket and waders will reduce that. I would only use a vest in extream cold as they retain to much body heat and your pup could over heat and go down.

These are just my opinions and not of those that post here or owners of the site!:hest:

Blake Marsters
07-31-2004, 04:54 PM
lets see wet lab everything wet it just how it is if you in boat or in a blind wet dog your wet I love it Just part of hunting.
Blake :wak: :wak: :wak: :wak:

huntingmarsh
07-31-2004, 10:17 PM
I don't plan on hunting out in open water, I'm goin to hunt in water that at the highest would be up to my chest. Most places she could just stand up. I'm not to worried about it, I just wanted to know if there was anything I could do about it. I just want her to be with me as much as possible. Thanks for the help.

Corey

cself02
08-05-2004, 12:09 PM
Cory,

Your going to get water in your boat no matter what, weather its fromm her or from Marsh or from you, Chase always climbs on from the bow of the boat and shakes there, then climbs in the cock pit. Never really a hole lot of problems, remember your going to have a coat and waders on so you shouldn't get any wetter then any normal hunting situation with a dog.

She'll be fine.

JK
08-07-2004, 10:12 AM
i have three mighty layout boys boats and i use a large sponge to mop up excess water in my boats. it works very well.

jake