PDA

View Full Version : Introduced pup to water

NWMOhunter
08-02-2004, 10:05 PM
I introduced my pup to water today. He turned 11 weeks and figured he was way over due. The breeders said he had swam in their pool, but by the way he acted I'm not sure that he did. It took me getting in my waders and getting out into the pond and getting him to follow me. Of course he didn't swim around any, but at least he was in there and he didn't have any problems with it.

The little bugger is retrieving already. He is mild mannered so getting him to calm down in a blind or boat will hopefully be easy. I can throw a sock out in the yard and he will mark it and then run after it (when I let go of his collar). He'll get the sock and bring it back, but then fling it around and roll around with it when he gets back to me.

My buddy got one of his litter mates. He introduced him to water the other day (by throwing him in!!!) and said he isn't afraid of the 12 gauge. He isn't much on retrieving though. Says he won't go after anything. I've shot the blank gun around my pup when he was out in the yard playing and got no reaction out of him. I think I'll gradually work up to the 12 gauge. It will be interresting to see how the 2 dogs turn out compared to each other.

BillyBoyTheKid
08-03-2004, 05:05 AM
Originally posted by NWMOhunter
My buddy got one of his litter mates. He introduced him to water the other day (by throwing him in!!!) and said he isn't afraid of the 12 gauge.

:NW: :NW:
I wonder how did your friend introduce his pup to the gun. I like your method better.

huntingmarsh
08-04-2004, 12:04 AM
Sounds like your good is doing good:cool:. I had to throw out treats and alot of incouragement before my pup would even get in the water. And then I took a teal wing and tied it to my fishing pole and had her chasing it around so much till I put it in the water and she didn't even care and went out there and retreived the wing. But after a few fails I thought about tossin her in but I never did. Good luck with your pup.

Corey

skb20
08-04-2004, 07:04 AM
Ooh man, your "easy does it" approach when introducing your pup to any new, potentially scary situation is way, way better than your buddies approach. All pups are different, of course, but it is often really easy to spook them of something new... and can be almost impossible to "unspook" them. Forcing them in to something scary, or suprising them with it, is medicine for trouble. Sounds like you have good instincts on this and like your pup is doing fine. Have fun.

Quack Smacker
08-04-2004, 03:30 PM
Sounds as if you are doing fine...TAKE YOUR TIME. A puppy is just like a kid...be gentle, have fun, make it fun for him/her. Secondly, next time you go out with your buddy....throw him in when he doesn't want to go on his own, he'll understand!

Q.S.

bigredguy42
08-17-2004, 05:29 PM
I always heard that shooting a blanks around dogs was not a good thing. Something about a higher pitch? I took my dog to the gun club and left him in the truck with the windows half way down. The second time i took him we sat together about 100 yards away while my buddies shot. By the next time he was sitting next to me while i shot. I did the same thing to help him with the water i put my shorts on and took a swim in the river didnt take long before he decided he wanted to join in on the fun. :TT: