PDA

View Full Version : What kind and how big of spread for opener???

Flocknocker
08-19-2000, 08:42 AM
What kind of decoys will you be using the first morning?? How many will you use and what type of spread will you put out.
I will go small I will use 6doz Bigfoots and 2doz Super mag G&H and 3or4 doz Outlaws. The birds are coming in in flock of 50 or less birds so this will work fine. I will be short stopping the birds and not hunting the main fields they are using the first few days. I will be using a c shaped spread with loose but not family group spread. If there is lots of hunters around the area we will go much biger on the numbers of decoys. How about you guys???
Oh and of course I will be using several Assassin Blinds and taking some video also.

------------------
Flocknocker
"We're All About Geese"

Duxrule
08-19-2000, 09:42 AM
Be hunting a hillside with (unless I get more dekes by then) 2 doz shells and 1 doz Real Geese silos. Don't really know how to set it all up yet as I've never used silos B4. Do I keep the silos in front and the shells to the sides like Outlaw recommends or mix it all up?

------------------
Goose hunting-it's not just a job...it's an addiction

goosejuicer
08-19-2000, 10:03 AM
We are going to be using 4 doz outlaws(1doz supermag, 3 doz mag). We will also have 3-4 doz shells. We are hunting in a cut hay field where geese fly over regularly. We will probably use a simple C set up, unless we are hiding on the edge of the field in which case we'll try a J.

Flocknocker
08-19-2000, 10:24 AM
Mix the silhouettes in with the others keep them at different angles so they don't all disapear at the same time.

------------------
Flocknocker
"We're All About Geese"

wyfarrell
08-19-2000, 11:23 AM
Hey Cliff-
I rarely hunt shells(except for ice). Do you think the big shells look funky, with all those footers and sillies(all about the same size). Just wonderin. Its kind of fun to throw all the dekes out early, running a good sized spread before those crafty late birds show up. Then its fun to shoot more geese than ya have dekes out. Any chance of selling Bigfoots at the flocknocker mercantile>

------------------
"You can always tell a waterfowler, but you can never tell him much"

shootem
08-19-2000, 11:26 AM
We are going to set up in disced wheat stubble We will use about 2-3 dozen full bodies, 2 dozen G&H mag shells and 2-3 dozen outlaw mags. we have two final approach blinds and two guys lay under camo covers. We will set them in a u pattern with one side a little short the outlaws will be mainly around the bottom of the cup and inside the u. Flocknocker why not family groups? I know there is a good reason just have not figured it out yet!

Flocknocker
08-19-2000, 11:35 AM
I set up like the birds using the fields. From what I am seeing every day the flocks in the fields are getting bigger. I see some geese still in family groups but not that many. If they were I would set up in family groups for sure. Our fields have been cut for some time now so they will all be in the same field by the 9th of Sept. I use family groups allot in the late winter when the birds are splitting up. Can't wait!!!!!

------------------
Flocknocker
"We're All About Geese"

Flocknocker
08-19-2000, 11:45 AM
Hi Bob no I like the Big shells anytime I try and shortstop birds I use them. They are easy for the birds to see. We have some real high stubble this season. I use G&H and have never had a problem with killing birds over them. And they blend in with my binds so it helps things look better. Plus I use the big shells to put the dead geese under and put our gear and such there also.

------------------
Flocknocker
"We're All About Geese"

BRANTA
08-19-2000, 04:14 PM
We will be using about:
36 stuffers
36 Dave Smith decoys
And about 50 custom painted foots,W/black widow heads,
I try to "match the hatch" for lack of a better term. Unless I am running traffic on birds I will bulk up.

------------------
"Why take-em tall when you can finish them"

buckduck
08-19-2000, 07:33 PM
Maybe I shouldn`t answer this one but here goes.We hunt next to a refuge with heavy compition.For the early season 6 doz. for the regular season a mixture of maybe 1000 spread amoung 3 pits..Anyone out there think were crazy. haha We have on duck bilnd on a large lake where we use 1000 duck decks also.

------------------
Fight gun control.It`s hard to kill ducks with a rocks,and you might just keep America free.

BaRtMaN
08-19-2000, 10:33 PM
I will put out 6 carry-lite super mags, and a 6 carry-lite mags. with 2 out in front of me at 40 yrds and set the rest up in 2 small family groups and set right in the middle of them under my Goose Getter chair. I cant wait to pull da trigger http://64.176.94.12/ubb/biggrin.gif

------------------
"TAKE'EM" BaRtMaN