PDA

View Full Version : Australian gun control failure

Goose Hunter
08-20-2000, 12:50 AM
A guy posted this on my fishing message board, I'm sure you guys would be interested in this:

I have no idea if these are the facts or bogus. Came to me via broadcast e-mail today.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
THIS WAS FORWARDED FROM A GUY IN AUSTRALIA.

Hi Canucks & Yanks, I thought you all would like to see the real figures from Down Under. It has now been 12 months since gun owners in Australia were forced by new law to surrender 640,381 personal firearms to be destroyed by our own government, a program costing Australia taxpayers more than $500 million dollars. The first year results are now in:
Australia-wide, homicides are up 3.2 percent.
Australia-wide, assaults are up 8.6 percent.
Australia-wide, armed robberies are up 44 percent (yes, 44 percent!)

In the state of Victoria alone, homicides with firearms are now up 300 percent.

(Note that while the law-abiding citizens turned them in, the criminals did not and criminals still possess their guns!)

While figures over the previous 25 years showed a steady decrease in armed robbery with firearms, this has changed drastically upward in the past 12 months, since the criminals now are guaranteed that their prey is unarmed.

There has also been a dramatic increase in break-ins and assaults of the elderly. Australian politicians are at a loss to explain how public safety has decreased, after such monumental effort and expense was expended in "successfully ridding Australian society of guns." You won't see this data on the American evening news or hear your governor or members of the state Assembly disseminating this information. The Australian experience proves it.

Guns in the hands of honest citizens save lives and property and, yes, gun-control laws affect only the law-abiding citizens. Take note Americans, before it's too late!

------------------
Tim Grounds is like Jack Nickousis, and I, Goose Hunter, am Tiger Woods.

Skeet in NZ
08-20-2000, 01:42 AM
Hi Goose Hunter

We have heard the same here in NZ that you have just posted for Australia. (we are further down under than them haha so we are the ones down under.)

I believe it to be fact. And the NZ government looked at the results when they reviewed our gun laws. (Flocknocker has a currant NZ gun law booklet which I sent him about a month ago.) Regardlesss what is said when asking people to surrender there firearms only the honest people will do it. NZ is a great hunting nation and I don't believe that we will go to the extreme that Australia did (there changes happened due to a shooting in Port Douglas killing I think about 25 people)I may be wrong but the changes happen after public out cry and the laws changed after that. Unlike our Australia cousins over the ditch we in NZ aren't as active with lobbeying for law changes although a few anti gun people are working on the same changes here. Lets hope they don't win the battle.

Rob

------------------
Skeet in NZ

Go4Ducks2
08-20-2000, 06:45 AM
Skeet, just wanted to say, glad you dropped by the flocknocker chat the other nite.
I always find it very interesting to find out what is going on with my hunting brothers in other parts of the world. I've found out over the last 8 years, here on the net, we are all really not that much different in who we are, we just do things a little differently.

------------------
Goose huntin' is the best but I Go4Ducks2 (http://sites.outdoorsite.com/outdoors/go4ducks2)

buckduck
08-20-2000, 03:58 PM
Over 30 states in the US have pass a law alowing honest citizense to carry concieled weapons.In all of there states viloent crime has gone down.Come on you assies I know your smarter than the brits so get the law repealed. goday mates

------------------
Fight gun control.It`s hard to kill ducks with a rocks,and you might just keep America free.