PDA

View Full Version : My experiances at the DU festival

buck_master_2001
08-20-2000, 01:09 PM
I just got back from the DU festival in Oshkosh, Wisconsin.I had lots of fun and came across alot of weird and neat things.I finally got to hear the Zink Paralyzer goose call.I have to say that I was not overlly impressed.The guy blowing the call couldn't blow it vey good.When he did it sounded alright but nothing special.The guy blowing it was saying how it is an easy call for beginners and he couldn't even blow it right lots of squaks and weird sounds.I tried to blow the call but couldn't get anything out of it.I could get the low end but not the high end.Also I was very impressed by the Foiles strait meat.The guy blowing and selling them was Shawn Eldridge(last name?).They didn't quite have the pure goose sound of the canada like my Saunders but they had a loud high end.I love the crack of that call.It was also real easy for me to blow.I picked up the call and was clucking and honking with it my first time.I also thought they looked very good.I love the metal band on them.My cousin bought one for $125.He had them there for $25 less.Does any one remember the 5 geese that came over the Zink out doors area.They were pretty low and when I first seen them they ahd their wings cupped and were coming in.I was looking at the Foiles call when they came over.The Shawn guy got on his call and was trying to get them to come in.It was the coolest thing I have ever seen.Everybody else with a call seen them and was trying o get them to come in to.The whole place was calling.I thought that was neat as hell.I talked to many professional goose callers and guides and none of them had heard of Bill Saunders.I showed my Saunders call to that Shawn guy who was a professional caller.He blew that call GOOD.His first time even touching one of them.He said he wasn't use to a call being so easy to blow and taking so much less air than his Foiles he uses.Also did anybody see an older man walking around with a wood cain, brown shorts and was wearing high socks or nylons...yes I know nylons.He was all around the Zink outdoor area and the other goose hunting stuff around there.Any ways he said my call had knight and hale guts in it and that the reed had been shaved to much.He tried blowing it but it just didn't seem right when he blew it.He was using a buck Gardner short reed.I just wanted to share my experiances with yall.What did u all buy there.What did u think of the show and my experiances at the show.Sorry for taking so long.

[This message has been edited by buck_master_2001 (edited 08-20-2000).]

Goose Hunter
08-20-2000, 01:38 PM
Shawn Stahl is the guy your talking about.

He is unbelievable, I've heard him blow many times. I'm not suprised he could blow it good.

That Zink call ain't sounding so good anymore.

------------------
Tim Grounds is like Jack Nickousis, and I, Goose Hunter, am Tiger Woods.

buck_master_2001
08-20-2000, 01:47 PM
It ain't Shawn Stahl.I am pretty sure it is Eldridge.I asked him if he was Shawn Stahl because his shirt said Shawn on it.He was from Iowa.He said he knew Shawn Stahl and taht he was one hell of a guy nd was impressive on a call.He could blow one hell of a call though

tsodak
08-20-2000, 01:50 PM
Hey gosehunter, I heard Fred blow that Paralyzer at the Game Fair this weekend, and I have never been as impressed. Foiles was blowing his straighmeats too, but IMHO, somethiung was just not quite right with it. Also, I must say that Fred was really nice to talk to, and he had stuff priced reasoinable there too. It might be tough to learn, I don't know, but the rewards might well be worht it.

------------------
Smell that powder

Mallardslayer
08-20-2000, 02:12 PM
I have had my Zink Goose call for a week or so and I have been doing what he says on the tape. I just can't get it to go, maybe I'm not doing something right. I have been blowing goose calls for a good number of years both short and Flutes, but this Zink call will need some patience and lots and lots of practice.

wingfeather
08-20-2000, 06:59 PM
Why was foiles selling his call at the show for 125.00 when all his dealers sell them for 150.00 whats up with that. I be pretty upset if If I were a dealer wouldn't you!

Ben-IA
08-20-2000, 07:53 PM
Bob,
I think he said that Shawn Eldrege was selling the Foiles Migrators for $125, not Jeff himself.
Ben

~Pintail~
08-20-2000, 07:57 PM
hey cuz his name is Shawn Eldredge.

buck_master_2001
08-20-2000, 09:07 PM
Yeah,Shawn was selling them for $125.

wingfeather
08-21-2000, 07:45 AM
Thanks Ben I just couldn't believe that Jeff would need to discount the calls good luck to you in the great lake state and please take some of the golf course geese back with ya!

------------------
Bob Alfieri, Take a Kid Hunting