PDA

View Full Version : Blackduck please explain

Skeet in NZ
08-21-2000, 01:25 AM
Black Duck

I read your story on After the Hunt. Could you explain to me why it is so important to keep or want to collect the different coloured bands on the geese. And what does the different colours mean. We don't band geese any more in NZ I understand about the normal bands on there legs I think. Something to do with where they come from and there age. If I have it wrong please let me know. That was what the bands were for here in NZ when they did it.

Rob

------------------
Skeet in NZ

Flocknocker
08-21-2000, 08:47 AM
Rob he was pulling our leg or making a joke to get things started I HOPE, hehe. The neck collars are for the game folks to see when the birds move from place to place. They have different collars and numbers that are visable. They don't have to be dead to get the info, like leg bands. But those neck collars sure don't help them poor geese when they come to the decoys. It is like wearing a bullseye on your back.

------------------
Flocknocker
"We're All About Geese"

Blackduck
08-21-2000, 04:12 PM
Yeah, it was a joke. I've never shot a collar, I don't think they even have pink collars, we never have a limit of one bird here in central and western VA(always 2,4, or 5), I've never seen 10,000 geese at one time, I've never thrown one away(or gone over my limit), and in fact, all my hunting is done over water, though I'm hoping to try field hunting this year.

Hehehe, I threw almost all the BS I could think of into that post.

For me, collecting the different bands is just for fun... and accomplishment since they are so rare(I have 1, hehe). It's kind of like my brother who collects old bottles, especially coke bottles. I don't know why he wants to do it, but he does.

As far as the purpose of the leg bands, a leg band is put on a bird and then its age, sex, date of banding, and location of banding are recorded. Thus, when it is collected by hunter or finder, and returned, they can see where this bird(and others birds of this population presumably are going to be the same) migrates to, and how long it lived. When all the bands returns are put together and averaged out they can formulate flyways and annual mortality, thus better assigning hunting seasons and bag limits.

Neck bands on the other hand are representative, through the color of the band and the color of the letters, of where the bird is from(which population) and possibly of a special research project on a population or section of a population. Then neck bands can be observed without being shot or recaptured, and they can be followed and identified from long distance with quality optics. This is more successful because multiple recordings of the birds location can be made, while only one is likely to be made of a metal leg band. Thus collars yield far more info, but as Cliff said, they have a bullseye painted on them and thus the average life expectancy and annual mortality cannot be made from these birds.

Hope that helps.

Skeet in NZ
08-22-2000, 01:49 AM
Thanks guys I kind of worked out that your full of BS, Blackduck haha. I was wearing the chest waders when I read your post lol.

But like most BS stories there is always some truth to be found ie the bands. But I guess you could have a lot of sport at my expense due to somethings being so different from here that I am likely to ask the occassional thick question (but I'm not blonde haha)but I had heard about the neck bands and this was the first chance I got to ask what they were about.

I only shoot over water for my Canada geese so the chances are Blackduck that I will be asking you more questions about your hunting over the water. Flocknocker has a couple of pics which show where I shoot and hopefully he will get them on the forum for me.

Rob

------------------
Skeet in NZ

Blackduck
08-22-2000, 08:21 PM
I'll help anytime, even though I haven't been doing any of it long, so I don't have to much EXPERIENCE to reach back into. I've done about most all the book and video learning I can, and I've tested some water strategies, but I'm far from a seasoned veteran. I will say that above all LOCATION is most important. You can act and call like a retarded goose with half sunk dekes if you're EXACTLY where the geese are planning on going anyway. But if you're not, that's when knowing what you're about comes in handy. Anyway, I'll try to help you however I can.