PDA

View Full Version : how to blow a short reed?

Gooseguy
08-22-2000, 03:36 PM
Any tips would help. I can't get a single honk out of this greg hood sentinel, but I was getting some decent sounds out of the glynn scooby shaved reed, and the TG Half-breed at Gamefair.

Goose Hunter
08-24-2000, 11:57 AM
Is that Greg Hood Sentinel a short reed?

If you can blow the Half-breed OK, you shouldn't have a problem with the greg hood.

Maybe the greg hood isn't tuned properly?

Need more info

------------------
Tim Grounds is like Jack Nicklaus, and I, Goose Hunter, am Tiger Woods.

Gooseguy
08-24-2000, 02:58 PM
All the Half-breeds I blew were tuned by Zink. It was the only half breed I could get one honk out of.
I've heard people say to grunt in ur call. What do you you mean, grunt?

------------------
"I think they're circleing"

puddlejumper
08-24-2000, 03:12 PM
Grunting into a goose call is not the same as grunting into a duck call. I own a half-breed and I bought Grounds' tape on how to blow it a couple of years ago. He says the same "word" into the call to make the sounds. He uses the word "too-wit". Now, since the half-breed is a very high-pitched call, you have to GROWL into the call to give it a low end. For example, when doing the first notes of a "greeting call", start with the growling GRRRRIITTT sound. The "GRRRRR" gives the low, gravelly first sound of the basic goose "honk". To break the call over to the high note, your tongue moves up and behind your front teeth, you increase the air pressure slightly, and "say" the "WITT" part of the word. Obviously, it's complicated and takes a lot of practice.

More changes in pitch and sound can be accomplished by changing your hand/finger positions and thus changing the backpressure. I won't go into that here because it would take too long. Just make sure you're holding the call correctly! Grounds (Nicklaus) advocates holding the call with your first two (index and middle) fingers OVER the end of the call. Don't completely block the air flow, but put the "V" of these two fingers together over the end. The higher notes are reached by lifting one or both of the fingers (alternating pitched clucks).

I'd suggest getting an instructional tape on the half-breed and then PRACTICE!!!!! Hope this helps a little.

------------------
Belly-up & feet danglin'...
puddlejumper