PDA

View Full Version : Steelhead Recipes???

Chad Hop
08-25-2004, 08:48 PM
Hey Guys,

I have been really hammerin' the summer steelhead on a local stream lately and was looking for some "NEW" recipes.

I usually just grill or smoke it but want to try something new...any help would be appreciated!

P.S.-for those that don't know a steelhead is a lake-run rainbow trout...I would think any salmon recipe would also work!

Thanks,
Chad

Duxrule
10-11-2004, 04:56 AM
My mom poaches salmon in a pan of apple juice and a splash of water. Mostly juice tho. It's great! Just fill a frying pan with juice and plop the fish in there with it and cover until she's cooked thru. (Depends on the thickness and all of course)

wa beak breaker
10-11-2004, 06:19 AM
take a cedar plank like 1x6 or 1x8 or2xwhatever. and soak it in wate 4 shots of blackberry brandy and i liter of sprite, soak it over nite submerge the board if possible, then plavce on grill with steelhead fillet on it. skin side down on plank, season with a little brown sugar over fillet and enjoy. the skin must remain on the fillet in order to work. cook until done and slide meat off skin and board and enjoy then throw board and skin away and clean up is done. its like eating candied fish i love it on salmon but its my opinion have fun you can soak plank in wine or whatever you would prefer. enjoy :cool:

plish71
10-18-2008, 02:07 PM
I'll add to a 4 yr. old post. I fillet mine and remove all lateral line bones and leave the skin on. Sprinkle with Old Bay seasoning and rub with olive oil and bake. Absolutely delicious.

steelheadslayer
10-19-2008, 07:51 AM
This works with salmon or steelhead:
Cut filet in cubes, bite size or a hair larger are good. Soak in Teryaki juice for about 4-6 hours. Wrap with bacon strips and then stick them on a bamboo skewer and BBQ until the bacon is done. It's like fish candy. Soak the skewers for about 8-10 hours in water first to prevent them from burning up.