PDA

View Full Version : Guys: My lab is losing his hair! HELP!

Bill Collector
08-22-2000, 09:08 PM
I noticed the hair on my lab's chest is disappearing. I added more cedar chips to his dog house. He spends most of his day there. Well, it is getting worse, and I checked his house. he didn't push the chips out, so he must have moved them to the back of the house, cause parts of the floor are showing. Should I keep adding chips? Should I put some kind of carpet down, then cover with chips? Find some other kind of bedding material? He can't hunt like this! (he may have to, but I gotta believe he can grow it back)

Please Help!

Thanks,
Nick

------------------
Bill Collector

A few short of the limit!

Flocknocker
08-22-2000, 10:04 PM
My buddies lab a bitch just did the same thing a couple months ago. He took her to the vet and they loaded her up with drugs and now she is fine. It was just on the stomach also. I will see him tomorrow and if I can remember I will ask him what it was. I think they never really knew just treated the symptoms.

------------------
Flocknocker
"We're All About Geese"

BobinIL
08-23-2000, 07:16 AM
Mange lice will make a dog loose hair. It is usually lost in patches. I would definately consult a vet.

Blackduck
08-23-2000, 06:30 PM
My lab is half bald. It's very frustrating. With him its all allergies. The shots aren't doing anything as of yet, and the medicine ain't doing too much either. I just don't know. He may be wearing a wool sweater this season. It's getting sad. Anyway, get him checked. It may be allergies.

George Lynch
08-25-2000, 06:34 AM
Bill
About a month ago my lab went through the same thing. It was at the same time that I just put cedar chips in for his bedding. He started losing hair on his chest also. Took the chips away, and the hair grew back.
The vet told me they see this alot with labs.
Try removing the bedding and replace with fresh straw.
Good Luck
Cut'em
Lynch Mob

Bill Collector
08-25-2000, 03:19 PM
Hey guys,
I appreciate all the ideas. But here is the deal. He has always bedded in Cedar Chips. This has happened a couple summers, at about this time of year. I don't think it has happened every summer, but I am not sure. And it seems like it is an abrasion that is taking the hair away. He has some scratches in the bald area.

Since all of the above posts come from personal experience, I value all of them. If it doesn't clear up pretty quick, I will get him to a vet.

Thanks,

Nick

------------------
Bill Collector

A few short of the limit!

MNM
08-30-2000, 02:20 AM
BC-
I had this happen to both my horse and my lab. My equine vet suggested using coconut oil on the bare spots 2 x day. One week later she's fine. My lab started this last year. I asked the vet and she suggested that some dogs get what they called "hot spots". I tried the coconut oil and just like my mare within a week she was growing her hair back in. The weirdest $hit I've ever seen. Sorry this is so late--I just joined the club.

------------------
shoot 'em in the teeth

Go4Ducks2
08-30-2000, 05:57 PM
MNM.....shoot 'em in the teeth.....lmao..
thats a good one....got me laughing/!!! http://64.176.94.12/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Goose huntin' is the best but I Go4Ducks2 (http://sites.outdoorsite.com/outdoors/go4ducks2)