PDA

View Full Version : Chicken fried goose cutlets

skb20
12-11-2004, 05:36 PM
This recipe is really simple, and works great on lots of things. My favorites have been whitefront breast and mallard breast, but have used it on waterfowl breast of all sorts, goose thighs (boned out), upland birds and hoof&snorters of all variety.

We'll start with goose breast. Bone it out and remove fat and surface covering thin film (fascia). Lay breast filet with long axis perpendicular to you and cut "cutlets" across the grain, about 3/4" thick. Take a meat hammer and pound the cutlets out to about 1/4" thick. You will be pounding on the cut side, i.e. pounding on the end grain, not the long grain axis. I have had best luck with a hammer that has pyramid-shaped grid on one side and chisel-type blades on the other - light pounding with chisel side, then finish with pyramid grid side. Tougher the meat, the more you want to pound it - tough old canada or elk, pound it about as thin as you can without the cutlet starting to come apart.

Pan of milk, say 1 cup, depending on how much meat you are cooking. If you wanna get real fancy, use 2/3 milk, 1/3 dijon mustard. Soak pounded cutlets in milk for a few minutes.

Prepare 1 cup seasoned flour. Flour, salt and peppper (lots of pepper), and any other seasonings you wish. Prepare breading mix. 2/3 bread crumbs (I like Italian seasoned style), 1/3 grated Parmesan cheese.

Dredge/press cutlets in seasoned flour, really work the flour in to the cutlets. Then soak the cutlets in the milk again for a minute. Then dredge/press cutlets in breading mix (again, don't be wimpy about pressing mixture in to meat).

Fry medium-medium high til golden-brown and starting to get crispy. In butter is best. If you are a gravy type, cover in mushroom soup (cream of, or golden). and simmer for a few minutes.

So, I guess this would be goose breast - :HP:

DUCKDIGGLER
08-25-2005, 03:07 AM
TTT

DUCKDIGGLER
05-24-2006, 08:28 AM
Killer!!:TT:

Quacker-Wacker
09-04-2006, 02:33 PM
Tried this one yesterday. Unfriggen believable!!:Art:

DUCKDIGGLER
09-05-2006, 01:18 PM
Ken....that is not right! I have the cutlets all hammered out and ready to be fried for this evenings dinner! This is a winner for sure. Yeah buddy! :TT:

chcltlabz
09-06-2006, 05:18 AM
Try adding some Old Bay seasoning to your flour.

DUCKDIGGLER
09-06-2006, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by chcltlabz
Try adding some Old Bay seasoning to your flour.

Now thats a great idea!! Oh man bud I'm gonna have to make another batch this weeknd! This recipe is superb!! And it sounds a lot more involved than it really is.....TRY IT OUT GUYS!!:hest:

goose pimp
09-06-2006, 10:10 AM
Sounds great just had to print out the recipe. Thanks for sharing.

talltexasshooter
09-06-2006, 10:41 AM
Instead of the gravy that Joe suggests, one other good idea is to serve the cutlets with queso. I gives a southwest feel to the recipe. It is also a great way to get kids to eat goose. After emailing Joe about it, he shocked me by not knowing what queso was. I guess Montana has not been blessed by this great culinary addition yet. Here is a simple recipe:

1 lb. velveeta cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 can cambells chicken gumbo soup (yeah it sounds weird but it works great)
2 small cans diced green chilies

Heat in microwave or crock pot until smoothly melted. Stir often during melting process.

This yeilds a smooth, fairly loose queso that is great on most anything including fried goose. If you like the heat, diced jalapenos or habeneros can be added.

chcltlabz
09-07-2006, 08:27 AM
One more twist on this one (since its my favorite duck receipe). I will deep fry the cutlets instead of pan frying them because it makes them more crisp. I serve them up with honey mustard or ranch dressing to dip them. My wife and anyone else that trys them love it this way.

DON'T FORGET PLENTY OF OLD BAY IN THE FLOUR!!!