PDA

View Full Version : corned goose

Husker Hunter
03-17-2005, 01:01 PM
This is the best way in my opinion to eat geese.

This recipe is for 3 lbs of boned out meat.

2 1/2 tbls tender quick

1 tbls brown sugar

1 1/2 tbls mustard seed

1/3 tbls black peper (I use about 2 closer to 3)

1 tbls papricka

1/2 tbls all spice

1/2 tbls garlic powder

1/2 tbls crused bay leaf (I crush my own)

Mix ingrediance together and distribute evenly over the meat. Put meat into a container and put in frig. Turn the meat over everyday for 7 days and after this time period preheat oven to 350 and put meat into a baking bag and bake for 2 1/2 hours. If you double or triple this recipe you still only need to bake for 2 1/2 hours. I did 12lbs with my last batch and it cooked fine. You my eat this hot or what I like to do is let it cool and slice it and vacuum pack or put it in ziplocs. I then put into the freeezer and take it to the pit, gun club, fishing ect.

hope ya like and enjoy

Brad

DUCKDIGGLER
03-19-2005, 08:32 AM
HH, sounds really good!

I think I'm gonna try it this week. Any special prep to the actual goose breast themselves??

When they go into the oven-bags....do you dry off the brine or just kinda shake off the breast......what type of pan do you suggest??

Is the tender quick just a sprinkle on meat tenderizer??

I thank you in advance!

Look forward to more of your recipes!! DD:TT:

Husker Hunter
03-19-2005, 08:44 AM
Duck Digger the only prep. I do is just was them off and pick out what shot I can. (but If you shoot em in the head You don't have that problem ha ha) dry them off and then put your brine on the meat. Since the brine is all dry ingrediance you don't have to do anything but put it in the oven bag. I try to leave as much of the brine as I can on the breast.

Good Luck

Brad

DUCKDIGGLER
03-19-2005, 10:40 AM
Thanks bud!!

Hey is that "Tender Quick" a sprinkle on Meat tenderizer?? :hs:

Husker Hunter
03-19-2005, 10:58 AM
Duckdigger 10-4 on the meat tenderriser. Waht I get here in Neb. is made buy molton and is found with all the other spices. Let me know if ya can't get it and I'll send ya some. via us mail.

talk to ya later

Brad

DUCKDIGGLER
03-19-2005, 11:01 AM
Thanks man!! The wife is on the way to the market!! We are gonna give this puppy a spin!! Thanks for the offer! I appreciate that very much!! DD:Rich:

DUCKDIGGLER
03-20-2005, 07:52 AM
HH, one more question buddy.

I have applied the "cure" to the meat and have had it in the frig since yesterday. My question is.............should I drain off all the blood and liquid that has leeched out of the meat into the pan??

In other words....should it be almost completely dry in the container??

It smells awesome already......evnen the wife is curious how it will taste!

I thank you again!

skb20
03-20-2005, 11:35 AM
Right on HH - this is one of our all time favorites for breast filets from old geese or any of the tougher cuts from big game animals.

One small word of caution - I think that you guys probably have this all straightened out already, but Tender Quick is a meat cure, NOT really a meat tenderizer. The recipe would not produce palatable (safe?) results with common meat tenderizers instead of TQ.

If you google on "Morton home meat curing guide", it will take you to a site that provides lots of info on meat curing processes, products, safety, and recipes. We use the "deli corned beef"recipe from that site - very similar recipe to HH's, but you simmer rather than bake the cured meat. I have no idea which approach is better, probably doesn't really make much difference.

Dang, just thinking about this reminds me that I haven't run a batch of corned goose in way too long... think I'll set some meat out to thaw right now!!

DUCKDIGGLER
03-20-2005, 05:38 PM
Well fellas.....I used a regular meat tenderizer.....not the Morton Tender Quick!

I am trying to find out the difference online but am having no luck.....I want to make sure before I thro away 12 lbs of goose breast......I also do not want to poision anyone!!

If anyone knows for sure......PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!:CF:

skb20
03-20-2005, 08:13 PM
DD -

I was a little affraid that may have been what happened, partly because you mentioned alot of liquid coming out of the meat -- I don't recall much if any liquid gathering in the plastic bag that we use as the container for curing the meat.

Most meat tenderizers are based on papain, an enzyme as I recall from the papaya. It breaks down some proteins and hence tends to make meat more tender. TQ on the other hand contains sugar, salt, spices, and small amounts of preservatives. It "cures" meat, tending to make it more firm and more resistant to spoilage (as in ham, or corned beef).

I have no real idea what the switch will do to your goose breasts... other than they will likely be more like roast (maybe a real tender roast!) than like corned meat or ham. It will almost certainly be less resistant to spoilage than corned meat.

Hope it all works out ok.

DUCKDIGGLER
03-21-2005, 08:17 AM
Joe ....thanks man....I was afraid you were gonna say that!!

Oh well it looks like I'm back to the drawing board......at least no one got sick!

I thank you very much for your post........may have saved my some porcelain throne time!! LOL:GC:

DUCKDIGGLER
04-13-2005, 01:26 PM
Well guys heres the update:

HonkerHunter was gracious enough to ship me a bag of Tender Quick so I could try the recipe out.

I followed the recipe on the Morton Salt website as suggested by SKB20. I simmered the cured product and sliced it up.

Let me tell you boys....it is EXACTLY like lean corned beef....simply awesome! Had two sandwiches for lunch today....corned goose fresh onions, Vermont cheddar and mustard on whole wheat bread!! Yummy!

I can't wait for my hunting partners to try it out!

The recipe is simple as pie and comes out great....give it a try!!

Brad and Joe....thanks for all your help on this one...I owe you guys a beer!:cool:

Kingman
05-06-2005, 11:00 AM
HH:

I followed the recipe exactly. It was very salty!! Is it supposed to end up like this?? :hs:

DUCKDIGGLER
05-06-2005, 02:41 PM
Jim...how did you cook it and which recipe did you follow...the Morton website or HH's?

Mine was not salty at all...in fact the guys at the gun club scoffed it up as fast as I could get it cut!!

Kingman
05-07-2005, 11:33 AM
I followed HH's

DUCKDIGGLER
05-07-2005, 02:32 PM
Jim....I used the one from The Morton Salt website...the deli corned beef recipe. I also boiled it instead of oven bags....thats why mine was not salty. I hope you give it another try cause its really good! Any questions...please ask! Todd

DUCKDIGGLER
09-20-2005, 12:58 PM
Got a batch curing as I type this....c'mon 7 days already!!:hest:

Husker Hunter
09-22-2005, 08:29 AM
Man DD your killing me. Wish we had an early season here. I still have until Oct. 29 before our opener. I guess it will come but, not too soon. I'm just glad there are elk to shoot in Colorado and Pheasants to kill in S. Dakota in the mean time. The elk hunting is a great time I would have a hard time missing this hunt and the pheasants are ok but, it still isn't goose hunting. In the mean while keep wackin them. :wak: Brad

DUCKDIGGLER
09-27-2005, 01:56 PM
MMMMMmmmm canned elk sandwhichs!! :uh:

I just sliced up some of the latest batch of corned goose breasts.....damn its good! Slap your momma good!

7 days of curing time seems right and 3.5 hours to simmer and yummmmyyyy!! Looks like corned goose , cheddar, onions and mustard on whole wheat in the blind tomorrow!!:uh:

DUCKDIGGLER
11-11-2005, 05:50 AM
Bump

DUCKDIGGLER
05-24-2006, 09:22 AM
Try this one out guys......it sounds tricky but is super easy and oh so good!

Hollywood
07-31-2006, 09:24 PM
Ok- I'm trying it. Got the stuff tonight- pulled out a couple breasts & a section of venison hindquarter - will post results in a week or so. Anybody try this on venison yet?

skb20
07-31-2006, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by Hollywood
Ok- I'm trying it. Got the stuff tonight- pulled out a couple breasts & a section of venison hindquarter - will post results in a week or so. Anybody try this on venison yet?

Yes indeed - I have used the recipe from the Morton site on everything from goose breast (and boned-out thighs) to Sandhill crane, to moose/elk/deer. VERY easy, and I have never had less than super results with the recipe.

ENJOY!!:Art: :Art:

Hollywood
08-01-2006, 02:29 PM
Thanks! I'll let you know how it goes.

Hollywood
08-09-2006, 05:45 AM
Well- the results are in. It's a winner!
The goose came out a bit drier than the venison but both are AWESOME!

Hollywood
08-24-2006, 06:47 PM
Did some more venison. Decided to add 2 tablespoons of Montreal steak seasoning to recipe. I highly recommend the addition- its killer.

BandCollector
08-30-2006, 02:59 PM
I used Morton's recipe and I must say, can't wait for the first of September for my hunting companions to try my corned goose sandwiches during a lull in the action :MS: . What a delicious way to prepare goose breasts! Give it a try guys, you will not regret it.