PDA

View Full Version : Force Fetching training?

10gaDago
08-25-2000, 09:31 PM
Who out there has some good experience with Force Fetch Training? I've got some questions I need help with. I'm doing it iwth my 2-1/2 yr old lab now. Can you still do dummy work while Froce fetching? Or do you need to only do the Force Fetch? She is real good in most other areas but drops dummies on rare occaisions or when she is really tired at the end of a work out. How far and how much pressure can you put on a dog? What are the signs that I should back off the pressure?

BBogey
08-26-2000, 04:22 AM
I'm no expert in the area of "force Fetching", luckily never having had the need for it...but does you pooch need to be force fetched, or taught to hold?? I'd think it's going to be a little stressful, especially this close to the season?

GOOD LUCK!

------------------
Dare to be Different!

Go4Ducks2
08-26-2000, 05:59 AM
10ga. do you use an e-collar? I back off a lot when its hot out, try to make it more fun.....sounds like ya just need to work on hold command. How long do you work you dog everyday? I only do 15 minutes or so during the week but on the weekends if its cool in the morning(under80degrees) we go out to the lake and spend an hour or 2.

------------------
Goose huntin' is the best but I Go4Ducks2 (http://sites.outdoorsite.com/outdoors/go4ducks2)

shootem
08-26-2000, 07:57 AM
The best time to force fetch is between 6 and 7 months of age, after they get their aldut teeth. The answer to your question, no your dog is not too old to learn this, but because of her age and the fact you have never forced fetched a dog don't mess with it you may do more harm than go. The best advise I can give you is to sent her to a pro, or learn from some one that has forced fetched several dogs. Yes during force fetch you should lay off all retrieving including fun retrieves because she will probably stop retrieving till she is fully force fetched and this will avoid a problem. In my opinion and all pro retriever trainers all hunting retrievers should be forced fetched, it is the base for all later formal training. If you have question on hunting dog training don't ask your hunting buddies go to a pro and get the right information the first time. One last thing if your dog delivers game to hand forget the force fetching for all of the above reasons.
The only old dog that can not learn new tricks is the one that never learned any when it was young!!!!!

------------------
Gotta Love It!!

CS
08-27-2000, 08:06 PM
I agree all dogs that are going to retrieve should be force fetched. Also this process is no small feat. Done improperly this can set your dog back to square one. If possible have a pro do it or study the process thoroughly before starting. This close to season and trying on your own could be disasterous. I am not saying that all dogs have to be force fetched just that all the best dogs I have been around have been force fetched.