PDA

View Full Version : Question on getting kids started?

ckarns
07-08-2005, 09:14 PM
I was just woundering on how some of you got you kids started. How old were they?

I have 2 kids the oldest is 4(boy) and the youngest is 2(girl). The four year old already loves to fish. My concern it taking him out for a goose or duck hunt. His ears are very sensative(SP?) He enjoyed the fire works but said that they hurt his ears. I'm afraid that if I take him on a goose hunt thet the loud gun fire is going to scare him. I thought about getting him some ear muffs. Do they make them in a childrens size?

Thanks for and advice

Chad

Bones
07-09-2005, 04:38 AM
Chad, I am sure if you do a search you will find ear muffs for your son. But there is also ear plugs called Insta-Putty Soft Silicone Ear plugs - they run about 3.50 a pair and they can be easily molded to fit in your son's ear to help eliminate the loud sound. They work well and are comfortable for the kid!
I think taking your 4 year old is a perfect time - took my oldest when he was four and I am taking his brother who is 4 now out this year. They are both really excited and bring it up as if I would forget!!!
Not a chance!
If you want a place to get those ear plugs just shoot me a pm or do a search.
Bones:TT:

BEAR CALLER
07-10-2005, 05:10 AM
Chad,
My nephew was 3 1/2 years old when I first took him out for a goose hunt with Baron and myself. Since I as well was worried about his ears we placed my brother (who doesn't waterfowl hunt) behind us in the eliminator with Lyle. If my brother had of been unable to go I would have sat with him without a gun. I would rather get him out and not shoot than to leave him at home. I'm sure as Bones said you should have no trouble finding some type of ear muffs or ear plugs for your son if need be. It's great to see that you ( and others on here) are taking the time to get your kids out in the field. With the schedule of people today it can be tough to take a kid out knowing that he's likely going to get fidgety at the wrong time. Some might just want to wait till they are older and can sit still but I look at it as now is the time to enjoy the outdoors and get them hooked early so they can take you out when you are older.

bolweevil
07-13-2005, 08:00 AM
ckarns,

I have a girl who just turned 5. She was going with me when she was 2. However, the girl has started to come out and her patience level is a 0. My son is 2 and he started going with me last fall. He's hooked already. All he talks about is going back to the huntin' house, going through the muddy water with a 4 wheeler and going to the huntin' hole (pit). I knew he was a chip off the old block when he was running around the house with the vacume cleaner extensions (his Gun) and crawling over in what he calls his huntin' hole (bathtub). Keeping them warm is always a concern. Shooting never bothered each of mine because I had them bundled up so. One hint, is find some oversized footwear that will allow them them to keep their toes moving and carry plenty of snacks. I have even carryed trucks and tractors for him to play with. Good luck, and remember, time invested in him will pay off when, in return, he invests his time with you one day.

Bones
07-18-2005, 05:50 AM
I have guestion for you fellow Dads - have you guys bought kid waders for your kids? If so - which ones?
Bones

Wis_Goose_Hunter
07-22-2005, 06:51 AM
I have 4 kids and they all started going afield when they were 4 or 5. My oldest daughters 15 and 12 took gun safety last year and stared hunting last fall.

The oldest daughter likes it a little she did shoot geese and a doe last year. My 12 year old got geese last fall and loves hunting.

My concern it taking him out for a goose or duck hunt. His ears are very sensative(SP?) He enjoyed the fire works but said that they hurt his ears. I'm afraid that if I take him on a goose hunt thet the loud gun fire is going to scare him.

I would use the ear plugs other wise a stocking cap over the ears also will muffel the sound. Another thing to consider would be where you are hunting - open field or on a hill less noise from the gun as shooting near trees will make more noise. Also if he is behind you less noise than next to him.

You could also try a shot at say 20 yards and move close to see if it bothers him. Shotgun blast has a different decible than fireworks.

Just some thoughts

Scott

Quacka Killa
08-17-2005, 08:43 PM
Bones - My first pair of waders were the Hodgman youth waders they worked good for me, just not as durable as I would have liked. I started getting leaks at the end of my second season.

Warrdog
08-20-2005, 08:38 PM
ckarns, you can create some awsome memories with your children in the field. I can tell you that it is important to make sure that they enjoy themselves on the first few hunts. Make sure they are wearing natural fibers like wool or silk, (no cotton). Bring along plenty of snaks and take breaks to look at the nature hapening around you. If at any time on the first few hunts they say that they have had enough, it is time to pack it up and call it a day. I had a friend who brought along one of his kids and when the little fella got cold, my freind told him to suck it up and that he should be a man. Needless to say I have not seen that young man back out to hunt with us. Take the time to do it right and they will be begging you to take them every time.
Have fun with it.