PDA

View Full Version : Youth guns

Bones
11-03-2005, 05:36 PM
was thinking of getting my 8 year old his first shotgun to hunt with when he get of age. Was thinking a 20 ga that he can grow into for the next several years - not sure if a pump or auto is the way to go - kinda of leaning towards the pump.
What do you guys recommend and what about the younger guys who started out.
Bones

sprigkiller09
11-03-2005, 06:41 PM
Hey Bones

I think a pump is a really good way to go. First it is alot safer and second the kid will be more focused on the gun than the bird. I started on a 20ga. youth model remington 870 and it was great. I started out with one shell and had to leave my action closed till the birds were getting close to ensure safety. The one shell thing is really important as well, i became a more precise and safer shooter with the one shell. So my vote is a pump 20 ga. nothin fancy so then when they are big enough to handle a 12 you can put the money into that gun....my 2 cents...

h20fow1
11-03-2005, 09:24 PM
Bones - Lots of thoughts on this subject. IMO

Look at the youth pumps. ie mossberg 500 bantam and remington 800 express. If you study them closely you will see that the Remington length of slide pull is a little over an inch shorter than the mossberg. This helps those shorter arms keep a better point of leverage on the gun keeping the barrel up while working the action. Advantage Remington.

However, the mossberg has that top thumb safety so dad can very easily see if the gun is on safety by glancing over. Advantage Mossberg.

Now Remington also has that lovely J-Key feature on the safety so you can lock that safety when it is stored. Nothing a $7 trigger lock won't fix on the mossberg.

Also, I can't say that this will always be this way. But mossberg TYPICALLY has a $50 gift certificate from Mossberg in the box so that you can upgrade to a "normal length" stock. You will still have that short (21"???) barrel. BUT as he grows, you can change the stock to fit him. Advantage Mossberg.

Now, if length of gun is not a problem, but weight is. Look at the Franchi 48? auto in a 20 guage. Very light gun and not overly proced. You can still enforce the one shell in the action rule. Just depends what your hunting scenerio is. Weight while sitting in a blind is not a problem, but chasing upland birds it may be a factor.

Hopefully that helped -

m.mauler
11-04-2005, 03:31 AM
The gun fits. if the stock has to be cut off then get it done if you want to keep the original wood pick up a cheap piece of wood and cut it. the gun has to fit him or its no fun at all.:tn: :tn:
Joe

Long Grove labs
11-04-2005, 08:11 AM
I sell alot of youth guns at my job. The Remington is a lil' more expensive, but well worth it. You can get a normal sized butt stock for it when he out grows the youth sized one, and with Remingtons reputation how can you go wrong?

Quacka Killa
11-05-2005, 02:43 PM
I started out with a Mossberg 500. I really liked that gun, it was durable, it fit me well, and it got the job done. I recommend it.

Corn Doc
11-17-2005, 06:17 PM
The primary advantage of a semi-auto for kids is the action can substantially reduce "felt" recoil compared to a single-shot, double-barrel or pump action. This is particularly true for gas-operated semis like Remington 1100 or 11-87's, Browning Gold, Beretta 390 or 391 and others. The inertia-operated semis, like Benelli, Franchi and others, will not reduce as much recoil as the gas guns, but they will be better than the fixed action guns.

I started out with a 20 gauge single-shot and then a pump, but the recoil from a lightweight 20 can be quite brutal and possibly discouraging for a youngster (particularly if many rounds are fired). Of course, the semis cost about twice as much as a base pump.

For safety, loading 1 round at a time with an automatic would be a good idea.

Quacka Killa
11-18-2005, 08:40 PM
The reason I liked the pump was that it stopped me from just blasting my three rounds at any birds flying around. Even after several seasons of hunting, the first time I got a semi I kinda stopped taking my time and just fired away. With the pump I just took my time and really aimed at the birds.

teal-time
11-22-2005, 01:43 PM
I like the youth model 870 Its a good gun. Thats the one my brother and I started on. Another good way to go is to have him shoot a single shot so he can learn to make his shots count. I did that myself.

Bones
11-27-2005, 12:37 PM
Thanks for the input guys! Was pretty lucky - was sitting at Thanksgiving dinner with my in-laws and was talking to my father in law ( a hunter also) about my plan to get my son a gun. Next morning he calls me in his room and says - "I bought this when your son was born - figured living with someone like you - he'd probably be a hunter too" and hands me a Youth Model 870 20 ga. Well - I was very happy and told him he should give it to my son himself - which he then called in and gave it to him. My son's face was glowing! Thought it was an awesome thing a father in law to do! I think that gun will be special to my son for the rest of his life!
Think I am going to get the reciever engraved with something to the boys from him. Think he'll like that!
Bones

DUCKDIGGLER
11-27-2005, 03:41 PM
Very Cool Bones! Funny how things work out like that, sounds like a pretty cool Father-in-Law.:uh:

nut4dux
11-30-2005, 08:22 PM
You could have my dalima (sp) Put a bps micro on
layway for the kid for x-mas present.Just abou have
it paid for and he goes and wins a 870 yth at a dinner.

Now the decision on still giving him the bps or let him
enjoy the one he won:hs:

Bones
12-02-2005, 04:35 AM
N4d - would keep both and see which one fits him the best - the other would go up for sale.
Bones

h20fow1
12-02-2005, 06:20 AM
Grandpa gave my son a winchester 20 guage auto. It needs some cleaning up, but the smile on his face ws priceless.

I'm glad it all worked out well Bones!

Road Runner
12-05-2005, 03:43 AM
Thats awsome Bones! Hope you to get many days afield together.:cool: I think an 870 is the way to go, its one of the most dependable guns out there and yet one of the most forgotten. Corn Doc and Quacka Killa both have great points about the action type, I guess it depends on what the young lad likes.