PDA

View Full Version : Geese and high winds

christian1
11-07-2005, 08:31 PM
Anyone have any experience with hunting geese when it is really windy? I have hunted wind a couple times with differing results. If it gets really windy does it shut down the big honks or will they still come out to eat? I have seen that they hang out there forever and look at you when it gets pretty windy. Seems to be good days to sit on the downwind side of the spread. Just wondering if big winds will keep the geese out of the air?

chris

salthunter
11-07-2005, 09:09 PM
I was hunting in 50 mph winds Saturday.
Trying to keep full bodoies up on the downwind side of th hilll was a pain, shells flipping, snow blowing down the back of my neck, snow covor waving in the wind,
Ground blizzard, freezing fingers.

Yeah,.. lots of geese stay home. but the geese will land in the landing zone , You can watch them come at you for 5 minutes to cover the leagth of a field, and low, sometimes they need to go up to get over fences.
Dont expct the big flocks

I think, the few birds out are easier to commit, They make a lot more mistakes, and your mistakes are covered better.
Saturday I missed a pair at 25 yards , feet down ( I cant believe i admitting this)
Later a triple 9 yards 10 yards and 13 yards alll head and neck shots

I would stay in the spread

Dress warm

Poke 'Em
11-07-2005, 10:28 PM
Yes, the birds will still fly, but it's TOUGH hunting. For starters, it takes the birds forever to come into your spread against that wind, and that gives them a lot of time to find something wrong. Secondly, even if you do get them in close, you're going to have about one shot while they're still in range. We hunted a place last year with a 35 mph wind at our backs, and I'd call the shot at 20 yards, and the birds would be 35 yards out by the time you took your first shot, 50 before you could get a second off.

h20fow1
11-08-2005, 06:13 AM
If they can fly in it, You can hunt in it.

Yes they will still fly. Typically not big flocks all at once though. This is not my preferred method but the success rate is very high. We typically sit way downwind of the decoys, maybe 50 - 60 yards with a couple lookers and 6 or so sleepers. (pit blind in a wheat field) We take the birds right after they pass over the top of us as that way key in on them flaring back with the wind.

Woods and Water
11-08-2005, 07:10 AM
I have had the best success in high winds by sitting the dekes up wind from the hide. That way when they are looking the spread over and not looking down at us and then its lights out!! They take such a long time to come in....seems like there hanging there most times. This is when the winds are up over 25 and up to 35-40mph.

Illinigoose
11-08-2005, 07:11 AM
I haven't encountered the 40+ winds ever but the honks around here seem to move even in heavier winds. I think it depends on the weather preceeding the windy day. What was the wind and temp doing a few days prior to the windy day. I think high winds and deep drops in temp keep the birds tight for a day or so, but eventually hunger takes over. I like day 2 or 3 of a good low front.

Late in the season and on windy days I tend to setup down wind of my dekes. Like someone mentioned above, we all know the high winds only give you one shot before those rats turn and :DB: out of range in a heart beat.

frostbitten
11-08-2005, 08:54 PM
High winds tend to keep our local geese down, if they do fly its a short distance. On the other hand, high winds on a migration day. :wak:

christian1
11-09-2005, 07:03 AM
We had sustained 30's with gusts of 45 mph this morning. Frostbitten hit it on the head. NO migrators and the locals kept it short leaving me with my first skunk since opening of the early season :CY: :CL: :CY: :CL:

chris

bdirks
11-09-2005, 07:19 AM
Here is how I hunt them during the ever present high winds on the Western Iowa Plains. Another Flocknocker wrote about this a couple years ago. I use it and it works great.

Put the bulk of your decoys in a big group. Put your blind and another smaller group, maybe up to 1 doz., down wind anywhere from 40-70 yards, depending on how strong and relentless the wind is. Sometimes I will put 3 or 4 walkers out in front of the small group another 20 yards. The big group of decoys sort of tolls the birds in and then your geese will usually drop right into the small group. Most times you can almost poke'em with the gun barrel.

Good hunting,
Brian

honknxs
11-09-2005, 07:39 AM
Won't necessarily keep 'em outta the air BUT it can make for some danged difficult hunting! :CL:

Pretty much DITTO what Poke 'Em said! :uh:

Flocknocker
11-09-2005, 09:41 AM
We hunt in allot of hi wind here and it keeps the birds from getting way up where they can see your every mistake. Anytime I can keep the birds down low it's a real fast day in the field. I pull em to the hole and land the front of the flock, we then shoot the back first and then take the ones getting up in our faces. When them big buggers pull them wing out to catch the wind their gone in a heart beat ya got to be ready freddy on the deal.

Just remember if you are hunting hilly country wind is like water and you get eddies in the air that will be tough on the birds, they don't like that. If you can set up in just a dip in the field it will help the decoys not blow over. Stake a few up high so they can see them from a long distance and get the loudest high pitched call ya got and get after em. If you learn to use the wind in your favor you will find you love it when she blows a gail.

Cliff

h2ofwlr
11-09-2005, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by Flocknocker
set up in just a dip in the field it will help the decoys not blow over.
Cliff

Yup.

Or get a good woods upwind of you. Or a big hill a 1/4 mile upwind to help reduce the wind.

Basically they do not like the wind. Think about it, it is bitch walking around in high winds for us, so do you think the geese like it? They prefer to sit out of the wind as much as possible and yet feel secure about predators stalking them.(sight lines).

just my opinion from my experience.

And Cliff siad it about how fast they back peddle.:uh: I had Snows at 10 yds up on top of me, bust the blinds open and time you had 1st shot they were over 35 yds already and second shot 60yds.

Rick Hall
11-10-2005, 05:28 AM
As with fog, our windy day fortunes depend heavily on type of wind. (Ground fog sucks because the birds will want to stay over it, and high fog is killer because the birds will want to fly under it.)

If the wind velocity remains high at normal flight altitudes, trafficing birds tend to fly low, presumably taking advantage of the somewhat lower velocity created by the terrain's drag on it, and be vulnerable.

Days when the wind's whipping at ground level but the clouds above aren't moving require hunting "on the X" (or maybe huge spreads) to score big, because trafficing birds are as lazy as me and will want to stay in the easy air above the shear until they get to their planned destination.

As others have mentioned, strong winds slow the birds and give them extra time to spot trouble, as well as an excellerated escape. But a fellow who gets downwind of his spread and can hold his water until the birds are dead overhead, or even a skosh beyond, can really trip 'em up.