PDA

View Full Version : Uncle Rob is Happy!

The Baron of Bufflehead
11-13-2005, 07:52 AM
Well, yesterday afternoon was a big day for me. My 9 year old neice had expressed quite an interest in going goose hunting with Uncle Rob a few weeks back. She and her little sister both had a lot of fun playing with goose/duck calls on a visit in October and then out of the blue one phone call, Reilly asked if I would take her goose hunting. I was pretty excited! We talked about it a couple of times and I sorta held back to see how eager she really was. So, when she kept asking all kinds of questions and never forgot to mention in a call or visit that she wanted to go, we set a date. It was a big family outing - my wife, brother-in law, my neice and my pal Bear Caller (he's like family).

I'll tell you fellas, I don't know how many scouting trips I've made or how many times we've planned a hunt, but I was really nervous about this one. This was a first outing not only for a youngster, but also for my wife and brother-in law who were both very eager to see what it was all about. We agreed to make it an afternoon hunt, which I have only ever done twice before and never lined up myself, so that added to my stress. I scouted a few afternoons and had a field with a bit of traffic, but that was it. We had some great fields, but to keep it fun I didn't want to make it a butt-dragging walk into a muddy field. I decided on a winter wheat field, bordered by disced corn. The farm is not far from Lake Ontario, so I decided to do it there and hope for the best. All I wanted out of this was one or two birds. Most importantly, I wanted stone dead, clean killed birds.

So, we set up around 2:30pm. We put only about 6 dozen FB's out and set out blinds in the grassy border between the wheat/disced corn. It was a south wind, so we set to have birds fly over out blinds on approach into the spread. All the decoys were behind us in the wheat, for maximum visibility.

We saw a few distant flocks early. It was a positive sign to have birds moving around. At about 4pm we had 3 birds coming, but a flock of about 75 showed up on the scene and stole them away. I was pretty happy that we had some work and circle, almost in range. Our guests thought that was cool and I was happy we had at least had some entertainment. Not long after, we had more birds in our area. We called and flagged and finally worked hard on 4 we caught moving alone. They made an almost in range pass, swing downwind and then did it nice. I called it and there werer 2 very dead geese down in short order. My wife actually let out a whoop when the birds hit, becasue she was so excited!! BC and I had talked strategy and he was on board to make sure in such a situation that we went for 1-2 dead in the air birds (we took the gimme's instead of working at killing all 4 as we would if we were going for a limit).

So, we got 2 geese. I was ecstatic that I got my wish! All of our guests thought it was very cool.:Rich: We actually saw several flocks after and worked one bird right to the ground. But, we had got what we came for and just enjoyed seeing the other flocks work as we stood around the blinds reliving the success of the hunt.

Sorry for the long text guys - this was my first experience in taking a young family member of my own out and I looved it! Both Reilly and her Dad said they would like to go again, so I will make sure that happens.

On to the pics. To make the experience more fun, we painted up Reilly's face. I gave her an Olt 77 goose call and a few lessons. She did fine with it and she was honking the whole time the geese came in and got shot.

The Baron of Bufflehead
11-13-2005, 07:53 AM
Bear Caller brought his CLM Gunner. Reilly was armed with a big bag of treats from her Aunt Tara, and so there was no problem with her making a new canine friend!:rf:

The Baron of Bufflehead
11-13-2005, 07:55 AM
Reilly thought the blind was pretty cool. She called it her house.

The Baron of Bufflehead
11-13-2005, 07:56 AM
I found a great way to keep the young lady interesteed was give her the job of flagging distant flocks! Even with no geese around, it provided a good half hour of energy-burning entertainment.:cool:

The Baron of Bufflehead
11-13-2005, 07:58 AM
Here's my niece, her Dad and BC in the background, all watching for traffic from the Lake. It was cool for the new folks that we heard some geese before we could see them, so everybody was watching for the source of the honking.

The Baron of Bufflehead
11-13-2005, 07:59 AM
My favourite shot. A couple of heavies, a happy girl... and a very proud Uncle!

Certainly, if that goose wasn't dead before, my niece had quite a choking death-grip on it!:rf:

The Baron of Bufflehead
11-13-2005, 08:05 AM
Last one is of a bird that bailed out of a flock and landed in the rig, after we had our 2 birds. We named him Walter and my niece wanted me to shoot him.:rf: I told her it was not fair to shoot him on the ground and 2 geese was all we came for. She was happy with that... but when he took off she said "he's flying now - shoot him Uncle Rob!". What a kid!:rf: :cool:

To close off, I want to give a big thanks to my friend Bear Caller. It's not everyday you find a pal who will come out, bring his dog, and help set all the blinds and decoys, just so we can shoot 1 or 2 birds for another guy's family outing. Thanks, bud!:pl:

The Baron of Bufflehead
11-13-2005, 08:16 AM
This is Aunt Tara's favourite. What a cutie!

Bones
11-13-2005, 08:57 AM
What can I say Baron - terrifc pictures, terrific story and of course terrific job getting your family out! It is awesome to see the time and efforts you and BC put out made a few folks happy!! Kudos to both of you!
Your niece is going to have the pick of the fella's when she gets a little older with both being cute and loving hunting!!!
Congrats again and Thanks for sharing!
Bones:pl: :pl:

webfoothunter
11-13-2005, 10:43 AM
Simply a pleasure to read that one, thanks ROB.:cool:

10garem
11-13-2005, 11:11 AM
The Baron of Bufflehead

Great read (story) and even better Pictures

Seriously
You telling about this day hunt should be Plubished in some Magazine along with these great pictures it would be BEST SELLER!

jeff kreit
11-13-2005, 01:35 PM
i love to see storys like this i hope she will keep at it -jeff

sprigkiller09
11-13-2005, 01:57 PM
Baron.

Amazing story one of the finest i have seen in quite some time. Makes me want to take out as many people as possible maybe even my gf......get her to whoop it up. Thanks for the awesome post.:cool: :cool:

Wood Duck Wizard
11-13-2005, 07:00 PM
Baron
Glad it worked out!! I was thinking of you on Saturday afternoon and wondering how it went...

I notice that the FA decoys made the 6 dozen cut, what was B/Cs reaction???

Once again Congrats and I look forward to meeting the new hunters on a future hunt or 2.:TT:

BlueDevil
11-13-2005, 08:12 PM
Nice story Rob, doesn't get any better than that.

:cool:

vinnydeadeye
11-13-2005, 08:30 PM
the smiling faces, hers and yours. It's hard to make the plan come together esp. for those who really don't know the ins and outs. Glad every thing worked as well as it did. Looks like you just found afew more hunting parters.Congrats on the the outing and the great memories.

The Baron of Bufflehead
11-14-2005, 04:39 AM
WDW - BC's only reaction was kinda "why are they in our trailer?". :rf:

The flocked heads and different poses do look good. I think they add a lot to the realism of the rig, when sprinkled around the pocket.

Road Runner
11-14-2005, 05:18 AM
Great job Baron!!! Im glad it worked out so well for you.:TT:

STUBBLE BUM
11-14-2005, 10:12 AM
Good job Rob and BC.

Exposing someone new to the outdoors and having them enjoy the experience is what it's all about. Hunting isn't all about killing; it's part of the experience but definitely not the whole deal.

You've opened some eyes and more importantly minds by exposing them to hunting in a positive light. Too many people have pre-conceived ideas or opinions formulated by non-hunting antis that are in a position of influence such as teachers. I applaude your efforts and I love the pics.

Maybe you could get them to come up this way in the future and help Reddog with his make-up....they obviously have a handle on the asthetic application part of the deal....LOL

Good job buddy.

STUB

Reddog
11-14-2005, 02:27 PM
My face paint application style has made me famous, people are even talking about me on the Flocknocker Young Guns Forum! :LAF:

Fabulous post Baron and great photos! It looks and sounds like everyone had a great outing!

DUCKDIGGLER
11-14-2005, 04:24 PM
One word buddy...........AWESOME!!:uh:

h20fow1
11-14-2005, 05:14 PM
That is pretty freakin cool! Keep it up!

BEAR CALLER
11-30-2005, 07:08 AM
It was a real pleasure Baron to help out. It's not about a limit of birds as they say and the free bag of "Pork Rinds" sealed the deal for me.:rf: All natural and great for the body.