PDA

View Full Version : Need a recommendation.............

Bones
07-20-2006, 05:35 AM
Want to get my 9 year old started on a goose call. What calls do your recommend? I was thinking perhaps a Big River - but will this hamper his transition to a short reed? Or should I start him off right on a Short reed?
Bones:hs:

AllBusiness
07-20-2006, 05:55 AM
They may not sound good but a Primos may be a good call. They are very easy calls to use, especially the general notes. I still have one if you want it.
AB

chcltlabz
07-20-2006, 06:11 AM
I think kids pick things up a heck of a lot quicker than adults do. I'd say start 'em out right off the bat honking on a short reed.

I went to it after I started on other calls, but I think a Shorty is about as easy a blowing call as they come, and something they can grow into over time. Very easy to get the basics down, and as they master it, they won't have to worry about the call holding them back.

Another I found real easy to blow was the Quackhead Goosezilla.

h20fow1
07-20-2006, 06:22 AM
Start him off on the short reed. There is nothing wrong with flutes and the traditional heronk goose calls. TONS of birds have been harvested under them. However, we all know that a short reed will be in his future. So you might as well but him there. He will pick it up quicker then you did as he will have no bad habits to break.

StraitMeatKilla
07-20-2006, 06:31 AM
Definitely start him on a short reed Bones!!! Starting him young and with having someone (i.e., you and Diggie) to teach him that knows and understands how a short reed call works and how to blow one....he will grow leaps and bounds in his calling in a short period of time.

Who's takin' bets here.....Bones' kid outblows him on a short reed in less than 5 years??? I got a $50 spot on it if he keeps with it and doesn't give it up....what do you say boys???

In all seriousness, I think you would be doing him a disfavor ifyou started him on anything but a short reed. If once he has mastered the short reed, he wants a different flavor or sound, he can progress or regress (depending on how one sees it) to a flute style call.

Find him a decent poly short reed, tune it super light, and voila...the work begins!!! I'm a bit biased on calls:hest: , but I would look at a MeatGrinder tuned up nice and light with a super shaved reed....will blow easy, break over easy, and is a great call for beginners. Not too cheap, but not too expensive...and it's a call he can keep and run on his lanyard in the future!

Just some thoughts Bones...take them for what they are worth...

HOLLYHONKER1
07-22-2006, 04:02 PM
Im with SMK i think that kids pick up on things alot quicker than most adults would, plus he is the future of waterfowling he had better stick with it just to kick the old mans butt:nn: just joking i hope that all works out, you are lucky to have a boy to teach it to good luck!

HH1

AKAREDDOG
07-22-2006, 06:50 PM
My 9 year old son is doing a great job on a Buck Gardner Slammer. He's going enough to blow with us in the blind.

I think the short reed is easier for him than the flute.

talltexasshooter
07-22-2006, 09:53 PM
Both of the young men (8 and 11) that hunt with us on a regular basis recieved zink power maximus calls from me for Christmas last year. The first hunt they took them on, we let them solo call on the third flock. They landed them with just basic clucks and moans. It amazed me at how fast they picked up the calls. Maybe not having 10000 shells go off near their ears helped, and maybe being young and not worried about embarrasing themselves did also. After seening this I went and bought one of these for myself. I hate to say it but I blew it and only it until the end of the season. It lives in my truck right now and keeps me busy at red lights. It is by far the easiest call I have ever blown. It is a nice, low cost start.

redlegg93
07-23-2006, 08:58 AM
TTS,

were the zink calls poly or acrylic?

talltexasshooter
07-23-2006, 04:42 PM
They were poly. I paid less than $20.00 for them. They really sound great for an inexpensive call. It is a great way to start a new hunter in the sport.

Call'em N
07-25-2006, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by AllBusiness
They may not sound good but a Primos may be a good call. They are very easy calls to use, especially the general notes. I still have one if you want it.
AB

I'll Beg to differ on this one. A Honky Tonk, Killa Honky Tonk or Grand sounds just as good as any Poly Carb or Acrylic on the Market. Because they do not have true "Clucker Gut's" it may take some adjustment on calling Style, just as a Eastern Shorty does.

Bone's,
If you want to try a few different call's out I will ship you a few and he can play with them. No matter what call company you decide to go with, get him a call that has back pressure built in, Zink PM-1, Saunders Delrin Guide Series, Primos Honky Tonk, are all good starters.

Road Runner
07-26-2006, 04:03 AM
Need a recommendation.............
Get a hair cut and a real job:JW: :rof: Sorry Bones I couldnt resist. Let us know how things work out for you and your son. I hope to be in the same dilema some day (not to soon though):Rich: