PDA

View Full Version : Deli-Style Corned Goose

skb20
08-01-2006, 08:47 AM
This recipe has been adapted (slightly) from a corned beef recipe in the Morton Home Meat Curing Guide : http://www.mortonsalt.com/recipes/recipeex.asp?recipeid=43

Quite simple.... and very tasty!

6 to 8 goose breast filets (4 to 6 lbs)
5 tablespoons Morton Tenderquick mix
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon ground paprika
1 teaspoon ground bay leaves
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

Trim, skin, and clean up breast filets (or beef brisket or boneless cut of deer, elk, etc)

In a small bowl, mix Morton Tender Quick and remaining dry ingredients and spices (Do NOT substitute any "meat tenderizer" for Morton Tender Quick)

Thoroughly rub mixture into all sides of breast filets.

Place filets into a plastic bag and close securely. Place in refrigerator and allow to cure 5 days per inch of meat thickness (a week seems to work fine for goose breasts).

Place filets in Dutch Oven and add water to cover. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat. Simmer until tender, about 3 hours.

Critter_getter
11-01-2006, 04:05 PM
can you finish the proses in a crouk pot or MUST it go in a duch oven " gust got maryed and did not get one at the shower: LOL and after cooking how long dos it last in the fridge . can u jar it in a presher cooker
thanks
critter

DUCKDIGGLER
11-01-2006, 04:39 PM
Critter....first off welcome to the Roost!!

Now to answer your question......I use a big ole pot to boil then simmer my corned goose breasts. Never had a problem. I think a crock pot takes to long to come up to a boil and then simmer....the pot of water on the stove top is fine.

This recipe ROCKS! The guys at my gu club beg me every week to bring more!!:uh:

Critter_getter
11-02-2006, 11:22 AM
thaks four your help i got to get out in the feild and get som honkers. some of thes resapies sound great
critter

Web Foot Killer
11-20-2006, 03:20 PM
This receipe is awesome.My favorite so far!!!!:Bn:

wolfman
12-08-2006, 09:29 PM
I've used a crock pot before with this recipe and it works fine.

Wolfman

BeenGoosed2
11-26-2007, 06:38 PM
Been eating coorned goose sandwiches for lunch for the last year. They are great with swiss cheese and some horseradish spread.

Bill E.
05-01-2008, 02:25 PM
anybody ever tried this with just a pair of goose breasts...I don't really want to make 4 birds worth!

Also, how about with ducks?

Just curious how much you cut back on the ingredients, don't want to over power it too bad!

DUCKDIGGLER
05-02-2008, 03:31 PM
Bill...cut the recipe back by 3/4 and you'll be fine. Or you can mix the whole batch and store the rest in a mason jar with lid tight in the dark and she'll keep for quite a while. You only have to "rub" the breast down with a good coating of the mix and then store in the frig.
I have never tried it on ducks....I think they are too tender for it but who knows. I'll email you a cpoy of the recipe I have on my hard-drive. Any questions call me. DD

banded
10-17-2010, 08:39 PM
Dam Morton tender Quick!!! lol I have to find a place in Ontario where I can get this stuff
I can get pink salt (cure) but thats it
Jonathan

skb20
02-09-2011, 09:41 AM
Oops - it looks like Morton is no longer supporting that link to their Home Meat Curing Guide. Tried to go there... and @%#@$^^!! No Go. You can now buy the"new" guide from their online store... ah well.

WOODIE13
03-02-2011, 08:33 PM
I got McCormick's pickling spice, added a few of the other spices to it, but put it on the stove to slow cook, used four breasts. Will let you know how it turns out, smells real good now.

WOODIE13
03-05-2011, 08:39 AM
Well, here is how it turned out, pretty good and very tender. Served with some fried cabbage, carrots, onions and some sweet corn bread.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v59/WOODIE13/IMG_4376.jpg

Used the McCormick's pickling spice, got the water up to a boil, then cut the heat down to a simmer covered (four GB halves) in it for 3 hours. It was a little tough, placed it in the fridge and let it marinade for 2 days, then put in a slow cooker for 4 hours.

SeniorCoot
12-07-2011, 05:29 AM
I used about the same recipe for years then quit using spices until i cooked it- just used Tender Quick for cure and then pickling spice when cooking it- works just fine!- i do Deer- goose- duck and bear this way- all great esp for NE boiled dinner.

Phil in MO
01-10-2012, 05:58 PM
I just stuffed myself full of this corned goose and cabbage with taders. Man oh man is it good. My wife who will try to eat goose, really loved this and both the kids did too. If you haven't tried it, do yourself a favor and try it!

SeniorCoot
01-11-2012, 05:25 AM
Just a note on spices-I NEVER use McCormick spices-they may be OK flavor wise But are very expensive- I buy my spices in bulk from a small local store run by some mennonites-they are less than half the price of McCormick's and certainly as fresh.

DUCKDIGGLER
01-23-2012, 03:02 PM
I just finished up another batch of this stuff....man is this good stuff.......I never seem to have any for more than a couple of weeks!

If you haven't tried this recipe....please do!! If you like corned beef.....you will not doubt enjoy this!

SeniorCoot
02-03-2012, 04:58 AM
Soon as i get off here I'm taking 2 breasts out of brine- dry one- 1/2 tender quick and 1/2 br sugar- been in 2 days- I'll pit it in crick pot with 2Tbsp pickling spice and let her cook- yesterday i ground 2 breasts and mixed it with seasonings and 3/4 lb of pork sausage- made Gyro meat- first time i used goose so will report on results manana.

SeniorCoot
02-06-2012, 05:43 AM
Came out good and tasted fine in ice shanty-