PDA

View Full Version : Coyote hunting- Ecaller volume

Littman
03-17-2007, 05:17 PM
I have a question to you who use an ecaller while coyote hunting. How loud do you have the volume. I usually use a hand caller but I was with a friend who used an ecaller. We were set up in the the forest on a hillside. He had the volume high. He felt that it would call in a coyote from a further distance, but I have never heard a real rabbit in distress that loud before. Any comments. Thanks.....Peter

sharpshooter
03-17-2007, 07:44 PM
I think the louder than normal distress will get the attention of a coyote from a farther distance, but is it necessary ? I don't know.
2 weeks ago I was calling some coyotes that were in the habbit of attacking cattle, I forgot my distress call and the guy that I was hunting with had one so I used it.
This call was probbably quieter than a live jackrabbit in distress, when I started calling there were 3 mulely does about 200 yds out, as soon as I made the first series of calls they came running to within 30 yds of us.
Since the wind was at our back it didn't take long for then to wind us, but they still hung around a little since we didn't move.
10min. later coyotes started showing up about 700 yds away I kept calling and it wasn't long before there was a 'yote looking at us from 50yds away, it didn't take long for then to wind us and when he stoped running he was on the other side of the vally, I took the shot and the range finder said he was 387yds away dead in the grass.
I said all of that to say this, coyotes could hear that soft caller all the way out there ( I think that is why that the afor mentiontd coyote stoped) that far away he could still here that rabbit and he needed one more look.
I usally use a howler to get the attention of any coyotes that might be in the area and than usa the mouth distress call from there.
I am no expert by any means, but have fun attempting to fool those dogs. hope this helps Scott

AllBusiness
03-18-2007, 05:08 PM
Hey Peter,
What I like to do is turn the Ecaller all the way up. After about 15-20 seconds, I'll turn it half way down..another 15-20 sec..down more then finally off. By turning it down, the yotes think the "rabbit" is getting away from them. Same deal with turning your head away from a gobbler when you're useing a mouth call. Ol' Tom thinks the hen is leaving which makes him come in closer.
Good luck,
AB