PDA

View Full Version : New forum, Whos a trapper?

salthunter
03-19-2007, 08:22 PM
Just wondering who is out here?
Where you from?
What do you mostly trap?
Ive trapped a number of northern and western states. Use to trap commercialy. I was a pretty good overall trapper, mink, beaver raccoon and rats in the water, On land I really enjoyed red fox, didnt have any problems trapping yotes and cats when I was in the area
Had a trapping supply and lure business. Eventually Gerald Schmitt joined me, When i moved to Washington I sold out to Gerald.
I grew up trapping with my brother, Ron Hauser and friend Mark Steck in Southern Minnesota.

Grinner
03-20-2007, 09:27 AM
I like to trap as much as I like to kill geese. I am from NE PA and like to trap everything we are allowed to take, coon,fox,mink,rats,beaver,coyote. not too crazy about skunks or possums., but I do catch my share of the possums thus the name Grinner.

Flipper
03-20-2007, 09:39 AM
I like to trap and used to trap a lot of coon, fox and rats in the day of high fur prices. I found my nitch as a coon trapper and ended up doing that the most. I like to trap now to control the yotes and coon on my farm and enjoy trapping as a hobby.

I would like to start a post that we could make a sticky and share our favorite sets for anything that you guys are willing to share. Pics would be great and some info on location and how you guys prepare the set could help all of us with new ideas and also help some new people with some info on how to try it for the first time. What do you guys think?:TT:

2labs
03-20-2007, 10:28 AM
I have trapped for 32yrs and love trapping fox and coyotes, Flipper the fovorite set thread sounds great. I will post some pictures tonight.

Flocknocker
03-20-2007, 12:03 PM
That's before they made it illegal in this FREAKIN LIB CENTRAL state I live in. Now we are over run with the damn things. Paid for a new truck when I use to shoot and snare yotes and bob cats. Man them were the days $75-$100 dogs and $800 cats. Yotes were never over populated at them prices.

Salthunter, I am most impressed, sounds like you been there and done that, way cool!!!! :pl:

salthunter
03-20-2007, 06:33 PM
That's before they made it illegal in this FREAKIN LIB CENTRAL state I live in. :
worn out shoulders, messed up back , partialy from trapping. to many pocket sets, and beaver.
I left Washington at the time they outlawed the general use of traps. Same time SE Washington goose numbers started to explode,
But before i left I taught a buddy a thing or two. Some of it on the phone after i left.
He gave up taking a principal position in a Jr. High in Vancouver so he could do depredation work and spend time with his son. Mosty in Clark county $100 setup fee, 50 bucks for each beaver and coyote. $35 for every grinner:tu: Part-time;... he buys his new trucks and guns with trapping money.
I didnt trap much in Washington. but caught a bunch of coyotes and cats every year for kicks. One year I hit the beaver , $5.00 I stopped real fast.
My first year in Wa. I took a 1/2 day from work to set traps. The next day the boss showed up on the job with bags of munchies sandwich meat. Soda pop for me and beer for him and another foreman. Said we were going to checK my traps.
Sort of got lucky that day. I had 4 snares and 3 footholds. Ended up up with 3 cats and 3 dogs. My boss thoght i was the best trapper alive. Sure was great hearing him re-tell the story,..... the story was better than being there.
Trapping is my first love,... somewhere after my wife

Flipper
03-20-2007, 07:36 PM
We can make the favorite sets thread a sticky and add to it as people have time. I will try and take some photo's of a water set rigged with a drowner for coon as kind of a how to as soon as I get a chance. Thanks in advance to anyone that takes the time to add to the thread. :pl: