PDA

View Full Version : SIMPLE SMOKED FISH

skb20
03-20-2007, 02:51 PM
OK, this is not a waterfowl recipe - well, maybe merganser?

Very simple, slightly modified from Little Chief "Easy Cure" Recipe.

Very fresh fish, or just thawed, smoking will not cure/help old or freezer-burned fish. I like to smoke fairly thick (approx 1" thick) filets/chunks with skin on. Whole, 1-4 lb fish often smoke well when split lengthwise down the back (see pic).

Brine is 1 gal water, 2 cup non-iodized salt, and 2 cup sugar. I like brown sugar best for oily, strongish flavored fish, salmon. White sugar best for white meated, mild fish, or 50/50. You can add a bit of garlic, soy, lemon, whatever to brine, but don't get carried away. Brine filets 8-10 hours in non-metallic container in fridge. Less time for thinner filets.

Remove filets from brine, rinse well, pat dry with paper towels. Arrange filets not touching on smoker racks. Air dry (can use a fan) for an hour or 2.

Smoke maybe 8 hours and 3 pans of chips (alder, apple, etc). I like to start operation at 130 F. or so, and finally finish off near 170 for maybe an hour. Total smoking time will depend on heat and thickness of chunks. Let smoked filets dry a few hours at air temp before sealing, and maybe keep them in a paper bag in the fridge for a day before sealing or freezing -- helps them to firm up well I think.

This is called hot smoking and is not as good at preserving fish as cold smoking. Refrigerate and eat within a week or so, or seal and freeze.

benny boy
03-20-2007, 02:59 PM
Thanks Joe,
I will have to try that one, I cooked some salmon the other day and it as pretty good but there is nothing like good smoked fish.

badhabit
03-24-2007, 06:53 PM
Why don't you put a teaspoon of Praque powder/curing salt in the brine?

skb20
03-24-2007, 09:36 PM
Why don't you put a teaspoon of Praque powder/curing salt in the brine?

Uhhhhh..... because I don't have any idea what that is???:CF: Could be a great idea, but I have no info or experience with it.