PDA

View Full Version : Turtle Trapping.

theduckhunter
07-04-2007, 08:13 PM
I started trapping turtles last year and caught probably 9 really good size snappers. My traps are home made, im just woundering if anyone has made their own also and have had success with them.

Thanks,
Duck

chcltlabz
07-05-2007, 05:38 AM
I've done it before, but I actually have better luck with the hook and jug. We used to set traps in cattle ponds where the farmers didn't want hooks around the cattle.

Here's a bit of advice. Shoot yourself a groundhog for bait in the traps. Not sure what it is, but the snappers seem to love groundhogs. Just skin them whole, or cut up into pieces for bait, put it in your bait cage and gather the snaps.

'tis the season, so I might be after them pretty soon!

salthunter
07-05-2007, 11:19 AM
There arent many commercially made turtle traps out there. My brother and a couple of my good friends trap turtles commercaily. Other than the net hoop style made somewhere in Iowa you need to make your own traps.
I think most of my brothers traps are colapsable.
4x4 square of 2"x3" wire, maybe 16 or 18 inches high.
The throut ramp is 1x2 wire for stiffness, the ramp is reversable, meaning the trap could be upside down and be the same.Make sure to set them shallow enought that the turtle can get air, An escape loop 10-12 inches so the lttle turtles can get out and not killed by the big guys.
Freash or freash frozen rough fish, carp and buffloe, and suckers seemd to be the best baits in the upper midwest and the perfered bait of commercial trappers

skb20
07-05-2007, 11:34 AM
Noodling is the only sporting way to catch those snappers!!! :tn: :tn:

salthunter
07-05-2007, 04:13 PM
Noodling is the only sporting way to catch those snappers!!! :tn: :tn:

I think noodling snappers is only for those not smart enough to noodle catfish:OUCH:
Ive done some hand grabbing, but Ive always felt with a stick first

theduckhunter
07-05-2007, 09:00 PM
Thanks for the advice boys. aprreciate it.

bigredguy42
07-15-2007, 07:06 PM
I would love to see a few pictures of those bad boys. So please do tell how do you guys fix them

salthunter
07-30-2007, 11:32 PM
bigred I havent butcherd a turtle in 30 years.
My brothers favorite way to cook turtle is simple. all the meat is cubed 1" x 1". rolled in flower and not to much salt, cooked on med-low heat in vegetable oil. As it gets close to done; then add about the same amount of butter and turn the heat up to med/hi untill the butter starts to brown;2-3 minutes
Remember this is a reptile; like shellfish ( do you make it to the coast?) dont overcook or it will be rubbery.
yummy

today is the 29th, He starts turtling this week

skb20
07-31-2007, 05:14 AM
I would love to see a few pictures of those bad boys. So please do tell how do you guys fix them

Arthur --

Here's a picture of SIR Baron and Bear Caller with a little snapper they caught in Oklahoma last Spring. It was undersize, don't ya know, but I let them keep it just because they were so excited by the puny little thing. :NW:

Gotta go now, the minnows are calling!

bigredguy42
07-31-2007, 11:31 PM
It Looks like that thing could do some major damage

MallardSX2
08-29-2007, 01:45 PM
I saw one in PI bay in Lake Erie that was almost 2 times that size. That is a huge Snappa!