PDA

View Full Version : To the youth of this forum !!!!! dont let this happen to YOU

Skeet in NZ
07-26-2007, 03:52 AM
Ok

Today I was told something I really didn't want to hear. The fact is I got to hear it. See the comment thread, the word is HEAR!

I was told today within five years I will be stone deaf! I have sat here all night and thought about this. I have been wearing ear muffs for the 28 years in my total working life. As a joiner I work with noisy machinery and have always believed that I had protected my ears. But it seems that I haven't; that might be because my hunting as added to it.

This is why I am hoping to get across to you younger guys to protect your ears while hunting. (I know that I am a old fart and just like your Dad telling you what to do) but guys listen to what I am saying, cause in 5 years time I may not be able to hear what you are saying to me, let alone being able to hear my grandchildren without having a hearing aid.

I was shown some hearing aids today which I will need to wear now and what I have to look forward to very soon. I can only hope that modern technology will get much better in the next few years.

Take on board you only get one chance at hearing. Blow it apart and you lose it. Please think about using hearing protection while out in the field. Whilst you might think ok big deal, think about this. This is why I finally did something and got it checked. This last water fowl season I could not hear the wing beats of a duck or the sound of a lone honk. Hunting becomes very hard while we rely on our sight what tips us to where we look???

Your hearing!

Rob

Flocknocker
07-26-2007, 08:02 AM
Good post Rob, I will make this a sticky so it stays around awhile. I'm about in the same boat as allot of guys here, wish I had it to do over again but you don't get the option.

Cliff

Wis_Goose_Hunter
07-26-2007, 11:48 AM
Good reminder Rob. Once it is gone it is GONE

Best of luck to you.

Cut-um
07-26-2007, 03:28 PM
Rob, very good advice and I'm really sorry to hear the news, no pun intended. Funny how the things you take for granted come back to haunt you later in life. I know I've done a fair bit of damage over the years and all I can do is blame myself.:ST: Hopefully others will heed the warning...:TT:

quackmaster4
07-26-2007, 03:52 PM
Let me echo (small pun intended) what the others have said. I used to go out with my buddies to shoot clays, and nobody wanted to be a wussie and wear earplugs or any protection. 3 or 4 guys shooting 4 and 5 boxes apiece. We used to shoot until we had to yell at each other to hear. Oh so stupid. I now have tinnitus (constant ringing) in both ears. Trust me, you DO NOT wanna end up like this! Huh?

Bones
07-26-2007, 03:56 PM
Thanks Rob - its funny how something as simple as wearing hearing protection gets over looked or guys think "won't happen to me".
Great Advice and find myself even wearing ear cover when mowing the lawn!
thanks and hope others take you up on your words of widsom!
Bones

Call'em N
07-26-2007, 09:30 PM
Great post Rob!!

As many hard core waterfowlers I too suffer from hearing lose. mainly in my left ear. The diagnosis the Ear Doc gave me was Shotgunners Ear. At 34 years old I have lost over 60% of my hearing in my left ear and 25% in my right. Why? BECAUSE I DIDN'T LISTEN WHEN I WAS 25 years old!!!!

Parents, Boy's and Gal's read all the above!!

Moral of the story. Go to an ear Doc and invest in a Quality Custom hearing device. My hearing protection (plugs) cost $128.00, however my Digital hearing Aid for Elk Hunting and Work cost $1,800 for each ear!!!

Save the Hearing and $$$$$ loss Know.

BrianM
07-28-2007, 07:36 AM
Sorry to find out what you have lost!
I know over the last 5 years or so (Since doing these goose calling contest and practicing indoors can really put a hurting on Hearing)
I answer phone a lot at work and let me tell you some days with any background noise at all I have trouble hearing our Customers.
????Guys that wear hearing protection in the blinds. What are some good choices and still be able to hear the sounds of Wildlife?:TT:

HighLooker
07-28-2007, 10:32 PM
I'd like to know more. Do the ones with the baffles really allow you to hear well?
I've tried the cheap ones that say they work but I can't hear squat through them. Are the customs (from an audioligist) better?

Call'em N
07-30-2007, 07:23 AM
I'd like to know more. Do the ones with the baffles really allow you to hear well?
I've tried the cheap ones that say they work but I can't hear squat through them. Are the customs (from an audioligist) better?

I wear a set of Customs with Baffles (valve) that closes for shotgun/rifle blasts and Calling. They took some getting used to when calling. I can hear as good as (my normal) with them in. My audioligist recommended them to me. I have no clue on the manufacturer, but they work.

skb20
07-30-2007, 07:46 AM
Here is something from archives that has some useful info, there are several others there as well. I would only add that ported barrels or tubes make things much worse, but any shooting demands ear protection.

http://www.flocknockers.com/showthread.php?t=46711&highlight=hearing+protection

frickdogg
11-13-2007, 06:57 AM
I went to the ear,nose and throat doc and there was a guy there that did a mold of my ears. They have the baffles and i'm trying to get used to them. They cost around 80 $$$$$$

Dubbud
01-11-2008, 01:10 PM
You younguns listen to what these guys are saying. I too thought who needs to wear ear protection. Now at 55 years old I have only about 60% of my normal hearing when no background noise is present. With background noise...music, fans, any wind noise, I have only 24% of normal hearing. It is very hard for me to carry on a conversation while in a vehicle going down the road. I CANNOT hear what the others are talking about. Now as others have mentioned, I wear hearing protection while mowing or using a chain saw...tempted to use some when the girl friend gets riled!

Protect your hearing while you can!!!!!

Dubbud

Skeet in NZ
01-15-2008, 11:43 PM
Its been six months now since this post was put up.

This is where I am at:

I applied for ACC (government funds which we pay thru our taxes so we can't sue for injury anywhere)

This in itself is a major task. I had to go thru another test with an ACC aproved person. At the end of all of the tests between the first and second test of 3 months I had lost even a bit more hearing. I have lost a total of 33% of my hearing in both ears. 8% of that is work related and the other 21% is I am an old fart, 4% of it was thru hunting.

This meant that it was believed by the testers that ACC would not come to the party and pay for the hearing aids that I need. So I applied also thru another funding group.

Shock horror the ACC came thru and sat at the table and came to the party for me.

Today I went to another appointment to discuss my hearing aids and what I was going to be given. The behind the ear like Cliff said with the lastest tenogly (sp) the total cost is $9,000.00nz government is paying.

I thought about this for a while and thought I would be paying something so at this point I am ahead of the game. So I am going to also purchase at my cost of $1,200.00nz sportsman ear. This means that unlike the flash daily model I will be wearing I will have a full molded ear pieces that I can wear while hunting and that I can turn the volume up and the ear piece will not be blown apart when I fire my shot gun.

So again I remind you all wear ear protection at work and if you can at play. This season I can't wait to hear the wing beat again for a duck and that honk of a goose or geese as they are coming in.

Rob

Bones
01-16-2008, 04:14 AM
Rob - Thanks again, because of you this year - I started wearing ear plugs on a regular basis and purchased extra's in case I lost or forgot the pair.
Glad to hear things are working in the positive direction for you!
Bones

MNHonker
01-16-2008, 04:28 AM
Glad to hear things have gone in your favor with the funding.

How were they able to determine down to a percentage... a small one even, that those were the causes? I am sure there are some formulas they follow though. It sure is an eye opener... thanks for sharing and keeping us updated!

banded
10-18-2010, 08:16 PM
I have tinitus in my left ear and it ended a military carerear for me ....I hear a loud high piched hummmmm in my head 24-7 day in and day out ....wish I had of worn ear muffs
much ealier in my life......ps I am only 36 and have been dealing with this for 10 years now!! boom boom boooooom it all adds up quick!
Jonathan

banded
10-18-2010, 08:18 PM
raidians electrics or Peltor tac. 6 for me now and I only rais them for calling as I can't hear myself when they cut out.......hmmm how much damage am I doing with my goose calls......!!!...!!

twisted
09-22-2011, 01:46 PM
I have tinitus in my left ear and it ended a military carerear for me ....I hear a loud high piched hummmmm in my head 24-7 day in and day out ....wish I had of worn ear muffs
much ealier in my life......ps I am only 36 and have been dealing with this for 10 years now!! boom boom boooooom it all adds up quick!
Jonathan

im in the same boat as you but the ringing is in both ears and i just turned 37,
i used to compete in car audio comps when i was younger that didnt help much!
now i always wear hearing protection while hunting because if i dont the rining gets so load i get horrible headaches and pain in my ears.

kids its much cooler to wear ear plugs now than asking your kids to repeat themselves when you are older....believe me, it drives my wife and kids nuts when they are trying to have a conversation with me and have to repeat every other sentence :TT: