PDA

View Full Version : Coyote Success!

The Baron of Bufflehead
09-22-2007, 08:07 AM
Finally... after trying all last winter with no luck, I opened 2007 with a dead dog on my first stand!:uh: Our recent scouting came up pretty much empty, so I decided to take a pass on the duck opener and headed out to make a stand or two with the FoxPro (too darned hot for ducks anyway!). I was at my spot in the dark and when I was getting my stuff ready at the truck, I heard a calf bawling and figured mother nature had started the coyote calls for me! I set up on the edge of a freshly chopped corn field and put the FoxPro about 50 yards in front of me (field is only about 100 yards wide where the corn is). I was ready to go when the light was just breaking day. I started off by playing an interrogation howl. I waited about 5 minutes, then switched to cottontail distress. It was only about 2 minutes and this male 'yote got to the middle of the field so fast I didn't see him until he was about 5 yards from the caller. I muted it and got my rifle up, when he pounced right onto the FoxPro! He realized there was no rabbit and started moving away. I had to lipsqueek to get him to hold still, then in my excitement I put the shot a few inches further back than I had intended. No trouble though, as the 35gr. Berger from my .204 had plenty of extra punch. He spun a few times and took off into the woods before I could decide to shoot again. It all happened so fast I just kinda sat their in disbelief at first, playing the shot over in my head. It's probably a good thing it happened fast, as I had no time to come totally unglued!:rf: I went in 5 minutes later and he was piled up just 20 yards into the woods. Tiny entrance and a dime sized exit. I was please with the bullet performance, for sure.

I still can't believe it. 10 minutes into 2007 and one down. Maybe I actually learned something last year!:CF: Nah... I think I'll give the FoxPro credit for this one.:rf:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y216/thebaron1/07-9-2201.jpg

Crazy_Farmer
09-22-2007, 08:48 AM
Nice coyote!!! Real clean looking. We've got a couple hanging around that I've wanted to shoot but havent gotten around to it. :TT:

Marshwalker
09-22-2007, 12:06 PM
Congrats Baron.!!!!!:pl: :pl: It is about time:nn: :nn: IT makes all the time we spend watching videos worth it. I love the white on that yote. Really though congrats, it isnt easy to out smart them sometimes

Zach

cressman6
09-22-2007, 05:53 PM
Nice work on the coyote. Pretty exciting stuff when they come out of the woods looking for a kill. With one under your belt I think it is time to go after 'em with the front stuffer. I might even try a muzzle loader this year. That would be cool.
Mark

Cut-um
09-22-2007, 07:38 PM
Congrats T-BOOB on your first, look like a healthy Coy-Dog is down for the count...:hest::TT::hest:

skb20
09-22-2007, 07:44 PM
Congrats T-BOOB on your first, look like a healthy Coy-Dog is down for the count...:hest::TT::hest:

Don't let him schmooze ya, SIR Baron -- odds are high that he is just trolling for some more gumbo fixins!!!

BrentBPS10
09-22-2007, 10:18 PM
good job!

I got 2 already...on goose scouting trips no less...:rof:

kirsch
09-23-2007, 06:26 PM
Looks like you can teach an old dog new tricks/ :up: Good job Barron. Only one problem, now you started something you may not be able to control as coyote hunting is a disease just like Goose hunting. You may never be cured.

Flocknocker
09-24-2007, 12:01 PM
Good job!!!

Cliff

benny boy
09-24-2007, 12:44 PM
Nice work! got two so far this year as well, both with shotguns hunting other things, just happened to be too close to get away!

Bones
09-24-2007, 05:55 PM
Sweet Baron, Congrats on the nice looking howler! Not a bad way to start the year off!
However, it won't be long before you'll have that foxpro in the baby's crib playing Disney toons instead of hunting ones!:rf: :rf: So enjoy it now -LOL
Bones:TT:

talltexasshooter
09-24-2007, 08:30 PM
Nice job. That probably gave us all about 20 more ducks to shoot. Keep up the good work.

The Baron of Bufflehead
09-25-2007, 06:47 AM
...it won't be long before you'll have that foxpro in the baby's crib playing Disney toons instead of hunting ones!

You might be right Bones-ey!!! LOL!!!!!:rof: :rof:

Here's another pic of Mr. Howler. I haven't shot enough to know, but I think he was a good sized one. I should have weighed him. Had a pretty decent coat I think, for early fall. You can kinda see a dark smudge where I hit him. 3" further forward and he'd have been DRT. Maybe next time!
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y216/thebaron1/07-9-2202.jpg

2labs
09-27-2007, 09:33 AM
That is a Awsome coyote, nice job !!

Cut-um
09-27-2007, 05:03 PM
Don't let him schmooze ya, SIR Baron -- odds are high that he is just trolling for some more gumbo fixins!!!

We only use Yotes when making a Chinese Gumbo...:rf: :hest: :rf:

honker slayer
09-27-2007, 05:33 PM
great job

Daffysdoom
09-30-2007, 05:25 AM
Nice looking dog. Must have been a killer, really healthy looking. Congrats on your first yote. He could make a nice winter "onesie" for the baby! LOL...

AllBusiness
10-03-2007, 09:15 AM
Alright Baron! Way to pull things together and connect on a great looking dog.
AB

Grinner
11-11-2007, 01:55 PM
Way to go Baron, I hope that it is the first of many!!!

hooked on waterfowl
11-11-2007, 06:56 PM
Congrat's Baron!Nice coyote!:pl:

BlueDevil
11-14-2007, 02:10 PM
Way to go on your first 'yote! :TT:

MallardSX2
11-14-2007, 07:34 PM
BU-YA!!! Kill em all!!!