PDA

View Full Version : Goose burger?

VTgreenhead
09-22-2007, 08:45 AM
Has anyone tried grinding up their goose meat? If so, how was the result? Can it be used in most recipes as a substitute for beef? Thanks

Flocknocker
09-22-2007, 09:04 AM
Yea we do it all the time, we have our own commercial grinder so we do all our own grinding on everything. I use pork just like I do for venison and I don't think many could ever tell the difference. Good way to use allot of meat if your having a good year. I also make breakfast sausage out of it. I grind it and go to our sausage making place and by some spices, they have a ton of different types of recipes. Find one you like and make a bunch of tasty breakfast sausage. I use pork to mix with the goose but know some who prefer beef. You have to pretty much mix something with it or it falls apart pretty easy. Good stuff!!!

Cliff

vinnydeadeye
10-04-2007, 05:51 PM
What's the mix,pork to goose. 1/2 or 1/3,as a rule.

Flocknocker
10-10-2007, 09:37 AM
Vinny, I use about 30 percent pork with mine, comes out great. I find country style ribs on sale and freeze them up so I have it on hand. The bone less kind. They seem to have about the right meat fat ratio for what we like. No fat in the pan when done cooking it. For breakfast sausage we go half and half but I have done it with less and it's ok also.

Cliff

Duckslayer100
10-10-2007, 09:27 PM
I've done 70/30 and 50/50 with pork. If you have folks who enjoy the flavor of goose, 70/30 is just fine. But if you have fickle friends, 50/50 is the way to go.

HOLLYHONKER1
12-06-2007, 04:52 PM
used this recipe and was very happy with the results

skb20
01-17-2008, 12:19 PM
Just got back in to this ballgame after neglecting it for awhile. Hooooo Baby!! Found out you can buy pork shoulders (aka pork butts) pretty darn cheap right now. About $1.10 a pound if I take em as they come in at the supermarket meat dept, 2 shoulders in a pkg as they arrive, 20-23 lbs total, before they have to seperate, bone, repackage, etc. Probably only a pound or 2 of blade bone total between them, and dead easy to remove as you dice up meat to grind.

I used half pork shoulder and half goose wings/legs/shot-up breast filets. Remembered breakfast sausage as a kid was pork/sage, and found several sources of spices. That "sagey" flavor/aroma is generally called southern style seasoning, near as I can figure out anyway. Ground the goose meat once at med-fine and pork at coarse. Then combined/mixed meats and spices and re-ground coarse.

Major difference I can detect between this and commercial breakfast sausage is like Cliff said -- no grease left in pan after cooking, as opposed to floating in grease for the commercial stuff!! Cook well, but slow. Everyone who has tried it so far has been real enthused.... including several who "hate" goose -- I'll tell them what it was at some point.:rof:

easternshorehunter
01-17-2008, 01:50 PM
at home i just take goose breasts and cut em up and run them through the food processor and kind of grind it up.....makes a good meat loaf, tacos...anything...and i use 100% goose

benny boy
10-23-2008, 09:47 PM
I was curious with the grind idea
If you are grinding duck and goose mean just for burger (taco meat, Hamburger helper) would you need to add anything? I eat elk and deer burger in these dishes normally and am sure the butcher had added fat but not sure. Would you be able to just grind it and add a pound as is?

B1LFSH
10-25-2008, 07:53 PM
also great in spagetti and lasagna........ for your spagetti sause you can add the ground goose and cook up a big pot of sause.
Then freeze small servings - make for a quick and easy dinner

wawa
12-09-2012, 11:27 AM
My Question is do you stock up on your geese and freeze them and when your ready do you thaw them out and make the sausage????? We want to make sausage but have always been told you cant refreeze meat after thawing.If thats the case its not worth it to me to make such small batches,I would rather stock up and do 10lb or more at a time.Please let us know how you do it.Yea we do it all the time, we have our own commercial grinder so we do all our own grinding on everything. I use pork just like I do for venison and I don't think many could ever tell the difference. Good way to use allot of meat if your having a good year. I also make breakfast sausage out of it. I grind it and go to our sausage making place and by some spices, they have a ton of different types of recipes. Find one you like and make a bunch of tasty breakfast sausage. I use pork to mix with the goose but know some who prefer beef. You have to pretty much mix something with it or it falls apart pretty easy. Good stuff!!!

Cliff

liljoe
12-09-2012, 04:09 PM
[QUOTE=wawa;482803]My Question is do you stock up on your geese and freeze them and when your ready do you thaw them out and make the sausage????? We want to make sausage but have always been told you cant refreeze meat after thawing. Quote]

You can refreeze meat - I've heard that old tale many years ago. I have 2 adult sons and we start archery hunting mid-sept for elk and quit hunting with waterfowl early Jan. with the amount of elk,deer,and antelope we take on an annual basis along with special drawings on moose,sheep and mtn goats we do not have time to butcher/process during those months. Keep in mind we bone everything at the kill site and when we get home we sort the steaks and what is to be burger, put in plastic bags marked what it is and it goes 2 freezers in the barn for this purpose. Just got home from goose hunting and taking care of the meat. It will soak in ice water,changed 3 times a day, put in zip lock bags and added to freezer.
When the hunting seasons are over we all gather at my place for 3 days of processing meat - quite a few years it's been 2 -3 day events.
After determining what we want to make we go at it.
Looks like with the amount of geese we'll have (went to Sask also) we'll probably make a lot of pepper sticks and salami with 60% (deer or antelope and 40% goose. We've mixed a lot of goose meat with other wild game in everything from burger to breakfast sausage to whatever.
Bottom line is if refreezing meat will kill you I'd been dead 40 years ago. Take good care of your meat, get it cooled after the kill, keep it clean and freeze it to thaw out later and you will not know the difference.

wawa
12-10-2012, 06:19 AM
THANKS,Liljoe I'm going for it.:wak:

liljoe
12-10-2012, 08:01 AM
THANKS,Liljoe I'm going for it.:wak:

Just a couple of comments on thawing/refreezing meat. Use some good common sense. Don't bring your frozen meat into the kitchen and let lay around with blood dripping everywhere for a long extended time. Thaw out slowly and when the meat is pliable enough start your process. We end up with a lot of COLD fingers and hands and have went so far as using some disposable gloves - and we keep a tub of warm water in our butcher room to warm up our hands.

I never process waterfowl that is freshly killed because most of our waterfowl is either ground up into something or is sliced for jerky. IMO I prefer to grind or slice waterfowl that is not frozen but let's call it really chilled. Completely thawed out and warm waterfowl has a tendency to be a very soft grained pliable meat and seems to have a "mush" characteristic to it when grinding or slicing.

Good luck and the last comment I'll make is "write down what you did and the mixture you used and put into a file". We have been doing this for many years and we still end up going back to previous years on how much of this or that did we use when we made something. When you have a "file recipe" you can then add or subtract to you and your families preference. My oldest son and his family prefer everything spicy or hot - I make sure when we run his batch that none gets in my house freezer.