PDA

View Full Version : Chumming coyotes

salthunter
10-16-2007, 08:25 AM
sort of been my hobby for years. Putting out beaver carcasses while living in Clark County Washington, and now putting waterfowl carcasses in my pasture. This week the yotes snacked on a dozen geese and 5 ducks, nothing but feathers left.
Maybe this week Ill put out some steel!

Flipper
10-16-2007, 09:06 AM
I did that a couple years ago, I piled goose carcasses in the same spot all season and the yotes got used to a free meal. I cut trails accross my field of warm season grass to the spot and the yotes used them like a highway. Then I put the snares out and caught 8 in 2 weeks. :cool:

jeffk
10-16-2007, 10:30 AM
Had a good friend(fox trapping competitor) do that 20 years ago in Indiana when I trapped IN. He and a buddy would place goose carcasses in a weed field. Then drive trails in X's to the sweet spot. Hang snares in every tire trail and would pile up the coyotes and fox in snares. Especially in December and January.
They would check the snares by driving over the snares each day and rehang them. Fox and Coyotes were real suckers for it.

benny boy
10-16-2007, 02:34 PM
I did a bit of that this past year but not too much. I live on a 30 acre farm and have some sheep and goats, threw all the carcasses in the same place for about a week then started seeing coyote tracks and hearing them (bad when you have livestock) put out a couple foot traps and got a oppossum then decided it was time to stop "baiting" when they started coming around the farm, maybe this year?