PDA

View Full Version : Hornet

j12goose
10-17-2007, 11:04 AM
Here is one for you varmint guys. I just bought a NEF single shot in 22 Hornet. I took it out and shot some 45gr factory loads through it and could not get the gun to group. Should I look at diffrent bullet weights? Everyone that I've talked to that shoots one of these guns has said they are tack drivers, although no one else has one in a Hornet.

Any help I can get.

benny boy
10-17-2007, 01:17 PM
I have a nef in 223 and shoots pretty good, the lans on the gun could be your problem, either measure how far the bullet has to jump and adjust for reloading or try and buy another type of ammo, if there is a lot of bullet jump you will see a lot of flyers, shouldn't be the gun but you never know, they are definately fun little guns to have

skb20
10-17-2007, 01:30 PM
How bad is it, and how good do you need it to be? I have shot several of them that were very very good shooters - hornet to 20 ga slug. Had one (a 243) that would not shoot "minute of cantalope" let alone minute of angle. Wasted some money trying to get the 243 settled in with ammo change, but never could get it under about 4". Finally, The local gun shop took it back, though I really don't know whether they got NEF to make good or whether they ate it. Personally, I would Not spend much time/money trying to tweak one if it is not shooting maybe 2 moa from the get-go.

Good luck.

skb20
10-17-2007, 01:53 PM
Ahhh, just remembered something else. When I was fighting with the 243, I was told (by someone who seemed to know the ropes with those guns) that some of them tend to be sensitive to having the action closed the same way/same force each time, or they would tend to spread poi vertically.

j12goose
10-18-2007, 05:45 AM
Well, it threw more like 3 or 4 MOA. I'd be happy if I could get it down to 2. I bought some diffrent 45 gr. ( S&B ) to try and I also picked up a box of 35 gr Hornadys. I'll let you know if these make a diffrence.

skb20
10-18-2007, 08:10 AM
J12-

OK, I would think that level of improvement or more might well be possible (keep in mind I have only a little bit of experience with those guns, of course). Loads are a good start. Scope is snugged down evenly? No dings, even tiny, almost microscopic ones, on the muzzle crown? How is the trigger? Going from a fair or poor trigger break to light and crisp will often cut group size nearly in half (for me anyway, and at least some others). I think I paid $70 or so to have the trigger done on mine -- well worth it on the 20 slug gun, wasted on the .243 :CL:. The 20 will now shoot under 3", and I think a real rifleman could keep it well under 2, (pretty amazing changes since the old "punkin ball" days!!)

Depending on how much time you are willing to spend, there are websites probably worth checking out for accuracy tips. Here's one - http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php/board,126.0.html

Good luck, and please do let us know how it all turns out.

The Baron of Bufflehead
10-19-2007, 08:23 AM
Hornets have a reputation for being very fussy. It's a tiny case, and very minute changes in powder type/charge can make a big difference. I have read/heard several acounts of Hornets shooting like yours with several loads, and then suddenly turning into sub-MOA guns with another load.

Check the really obvious things first... make sure the scope mounts are not loose and the scope is mounted properly. Once upon a time I was trying to find a load for a gun and I had a rear scope mount come loose. Drove me nuts until I found the problem!

I'm not familiar with the NEF guns, but have heard they can shoot. Might be some good tips in that link Joe shared.

Do you handload? If yes, we can add a lot more to discuss. If no, then try all the different factory ammo you can find until you find a good one. If you find a factory load your Hornet likes, buy as much of the same lot # as you can afford/think you will need.

j12goose
10-19-2007, 04:32 PM
I have not yet tried the new ammo that I bought the other night, but I think I have deceided that if this gun does not turn around with this stuff, I'm gonna sell it. I have found a line on a new CZ in 22 hornet for a good price and my OCD is kicking in ( If I think I need something, I'm all but worthless until I own it ) Everything I've read about the little CZs has been good.

I did check the scope and it's rock solid ( even used blue Loctite when I mounted it.

The trigger ain't too bad. A smidge heavy, but hey, it's factory. And there is no creep at all.

The crown seems to be OK. I did not go over it with a microscope, but it looks to be in good shape.

I do not handload. As of yet anyway. I used to load for a 22-250 with a Lee Classic Loader that I had. Both the gun and the loader are long gone. I am seriously thinking about getting back into it for the hornet though. ( no matter which rifle I end up with ) The hornet seems like the perfect gun for where I live and hunt. More houses popping up and an ass load of coyotes and crows to go with them. I don't plan on shooting farther than 200 and the report is minimal. The Bee and the Fireball are too hard to get ammo for and the rimfires don't have enough poop.

Any thoughts?

The Baron of Bufflehead
10-19-2007, 05:15 PM
I understand where you are coming from, when you have your eye on a new rifle.:hest: I agree there's a lotta buzz about those CZ's... all good.

I agree with your thinking about a quiet cartridge for populated areas. Being a handloading nut, I have been thinking my next "must have" is a .221 Fireball.

skb20
10-20-2007, 08:16 PM
Well, I hope the NEF starts to shooting for you with the new batch of ammo. But if not, I think you are on a very good track with the cz. The one of those that I shot (a .223) very clearly shot better than I could shoot it -- not necessarily saying much, but would go close to 1" no muss, no fuss, with about anything it was fed.

Flipper
10-21-2007, 01:44 PM
I have a CZ .17HMR and a matching .17Mach2 and they build a fantastic gun IMHO, you won't be sorry if you buy one. It will also be like you were throwing rocks with your old gun. Not even in the same class.

Justin
10-21-2007, 05:22 PM
To be sure it's not the gun you better just go ahead and order the Anschutz model 54 "Miester Grade." hehe...

I have a lot of friends who are going with the CZ's and I've yet to hear a complaint. Not only are they great guns for the money, they are great guns.

BrentBPS10
10-21-2007, 05:55 PM
the Ruger .22 hornet I have is plenty accurate...
great balance, 6 rnd. mag., very light weight...:Art:

j12goose
10-24-2007, 08:47 AM
Well, I shot 'em and I was still not impressed. I only shot 3 of each and they did seem a little better, but not that much. I'm pretty sure that I would have had to have seen one jagged hole to steer me away from the CZ, but I'm not positive about that either. I'm not sure what I'm gonna do with the NEF. It does shoot "minute of coyote", just not "minute of crow".

j12goose
12-07-2007, 12:35 PM
Well......... I went and done it. I bought the CZ!!!! I could not be happier with this rifle!!!! It shoots better than me. I mean it stacks factory Hornady 35gr at a hundred. I stuck a Leupold VX1 in 3x9 on it and it has not been out of the truck since.

As soon as firearms deer season is over here, I plan on roughing up some coyotes. I figure that I should be good out to about 150 with a chest shot. Any thoughts?

The Baron of Bufflehead
12-07-2007, 08:12 PM
j12goose... well, I'd say a new rifle deserves a new thread! With pictures too...:TT:

Sounds like your CZ is shooting like all the other CZ's I have read/heard about. One in .221 Fireball or Hornet would look good in my cabinet.:hest: