PDA

View Full Version : What to buy?

JoDawg
12-07-2007, 10:33 AM
Well guys looks like my buddy and I have to get into shooting Yotes this winter. Seems all the farmers this year want want some predetor control for goose shooting permisson. Just breaks my heart.....LOL. Looking for some gun ideas. Currently thinking of a Rem. 770 with a factory bore sighted scope in
.270 as I would also use it as a deer rifle the odd time. What's the general opinion fom all you wise ones out there?

Thanks

salthunter
12-07-2007, 11:04 AM
If your budget is limited

I would buy a multi purpose gun unless you plan to kill lots of coyotes, or your primary deer gun
If your into handloading; Ive made some nice solid boatails that move fast and shoot flat out of a 30-06 that dont destroy fur ,...if thats what your trying to do
But,.. dead is dead if you are just killing them, any deer rifle will do:rf:
You can buy a lighter bullet if your shooting a bunch.
If you have the money, buy a gun for every use,.... Heck Ive squrril hunted with my .308. 30 caliber in,... 30 caliber out, no damaged meat

The Baron of Bufflehead
12-07-2007, 07:08 PM
I have never inspected or shot one, but from what I hear the jury's still out on the quality of the 710 and 770 Remington's. But, there's no doubt the price is attractive. Look at the Savage package guns too if you're going that route - they have a great reputation for accuracy and I think the Savage is a far superior action to the 770.

One drawback of the "package" guns is the cheap scope. I believe the 770 uses a 3-9x Bushnell "Sharpshooter" scope, which is about equivalent to the retail "Sportsman" version ($90 scope). IMHO, cheap scopes are just expensive paperweights. But, same argument goes that the price is good so unless you want to hunt in low light or bad weather, and will not be touching the windage/elevation adjustments after sighting in... it'll probably suite your needs.

Sidebar... . Good glass starts at about $300. Thing about a decent scope, is that it moves from rifle to rifle as your needs/interestes change and will last you a lifetime. You can find good quality used scopes quite easilly too, if you want to stay in a budget and still end up with quality optics. PM me if you are interested in some resource info/assistance on that.

You could also check the local shops for a good used gun. If you want a great rig to hunt 'yotes, then look for a .223 or .22-250 (or similar). If the gun will serve for the occasional deer, consider a .243 (that's an option in the 770 / Savage packages also). If it'll be as much a deer gun as a 'yote gun, then maybe a .25-06 or the .270 you mention would be good (especially if you will handload for 'yotes). Same offer of help goes for finding a used gun too... if you want some help I know some good places to look.

Watch the local laws and by-laws in your area... some Townships restrict centrefie rifle caliber. Noise may also be an issue. You might get some static if you're out there rippin' off .270 rounds.

Kreller1
01-10-2008, 01:16 PM
7MM Rem Mag, you have a LOT of versatility with handloads, for anything from yotes, up to and including moose. 120 NBT whipping along at 3.5k + fps will certainly ruin a dogs' morning!

benny boy
01-10-2008, 02:13 PM
I agree with the .243!!!! For the money you can probably find a good gun that may be slightly used. As for the package guns, I wouldn't suggest them as was mentioned about because of the cheap scope. You need a scope that is easy to see through when you pull it up, as well as something that is clear and draws a lot of light for lower light conditions. If you want to save all the pelts smaller is often better in my oppinion and I wouldn't use anything bigger than a 243. Buy a good rifle as it will last you a lifetime. Check used places. And buy a quality scope, even if this means saving a bit longer!!! Go on ebay and look around. I have bought two leupolds that were show models (in gun stores or gun shows mounted on the gun but never used) these are generally a lot lower price but still the same quality optic.

kirsch
01-11-2008, 12:45 PM
All depends on how much you use it. If you hunt coyotes one time a year for a morning or afternoon, use a gun that you have. If you turn it into more of a hobby, then I am suggesting a gun that is for that purpose. The .243 is one of the best all-around guns because you can shoot varmints to deer. Personally, I wouldn't call it the ideal varmint gun or ideal deer gun, but it will work just the same. The 25-06 isn't a bad choice either for an all-around gun.

After awhile, you will start to change your opinion if you hunt coyotes a lot. Dead is dead but if you hunt coyotes as much as I do probably at least 50 times a year, then you need something else because I don't want to shoot 50-100 coyotes a year with a deer rifle. I would opt for something around a 22-250 or smaller. With something smaller, you won't hunt deer but it will be a terrific coyote gun. I have actually harvested many deer (legal in my state) with my 22-250 but it isn't an optimal deer gun by any means.

So, long story short, if you are looking for something in the middle to do both, .243 or 25-06. If you are looking for a coyote gun, I would go for a 22-250, .223, .204, or .17 Rem. All depends on if you hunt fox, if you want a fur friendly bullet, etc.