PDA

View Full Version : Coyote #2 Down!

The Baron of Bufflehead
12-24-2007, 12:05 PM
Well, I had success again to day at calling coyotes. I made a few sets around one property from around 8am - 10:30 am. There was a single set of fresh tracks (it snowed overnight) but no luck there. It was a bit windy, so I headed to the lee side of some heavy brush at my second area. I glassed the large grown-over field carefully before exposing myself (got busted by a 'yote in the field here last time out), then walked in on the abandoned rail line along the upwind side of the field/downwind side of the brush. There were fresh 'yotes tracks heading down into the thick cover (scrub and junipers) to the upwind side of the tracks (opposite side from the field). I thought the odds were good the dog was still in there, either hunting rabbits or just bedded out of the wind. So, I setup along a curve in the rail bed and put the FoxPro in a tree between the railway bed and field. After about 8 minutes of slowly increasing the volume of the cottontail distress. I looked to my left just in time to see a 'yote trotting my way along the rail line, only about 30 yards away! I muted the call, but she whirled only about 25 yards from me before I could get the gun on her and ran back and into the brush off the side of the tracks. I switched to chirping coaxer and got ready. Sure enough, she came right back out on the bank of the rail bed. She was stopped behind some thick stuff so I held off, figuring she must not have winded or seen me or she woulndn't have come right back. After a long few seconds, she came back up onto the rail bed and started my way again. She stopped at about 40 yards and the .204 put her straight down.:HP: I switched to ki-yi's for a few minutes but I think she was alone. That's #2 for this year. Pretty small number for you western guys, but I'm very happy with the way the season is going so far. Nothing all season last winter, so it seems I am definitely learning... albiet slowly!:rof:

It was nice that her attention was 100% on the FoxPro the whole time, and she never saw me even though she could have easilly spotted me first. Oh, and do y'all like my shooting rest in the first pic? I forgot my Stoney Point sticks at home and had to improvise. I'm definitely keeping my lucky shooting rest.:rf:

A pic where she fell.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y216/thebaron1/07-12-2401.jpg

A shot back toward where I was sitting. I was beside that juniper 40 yards away, on the right of the rail bed. Wind is from right to left of the photo, and pretty stiff (steady 15mph with 25mph gusts). FoxPro was in one of the little trees to the left of the rail bed, across from where I was sitting.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y216/thebaron1/07-12-2404.jpg

Used the timer to get a hero shot back at the truck.:Rich:
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y216/thebaron1/07-12-2406b.jpg

Bardern
12-24-2007, 12:43 PM
great job Rob!

the thaw/freeze should make for easier hunting. I was getting no action in the deep stuff.

Quacker-Wacker
12-24-2007, 03:34 PM
Awsome Baron! Congrats! They sure come in quick don't they. Thats why I almost always carry my shotgun loaded with dead coyote Ts when calling. My .204 is always in the truck for when I spot them out in the open fields. I'm going to try for a christmas coyote or fox tomorrow morning.:TT:

Bardern
12-25-2007, 07:29 AM
Awsome Baron! Congrats! They sure come in quick don't they. Thats why I almost always carry my shotgun loaded with dead coyote Ts when calling. My .204 is always in the truck for when I spot them out in the open fields. I'm going to try for a christmas coyote or fox tomorrow morning.:TT:

I can come out of the closet! After years of shotgunning I am a HORRIBLE rifle shot, I just can't figure out what the telescope thingy on top is supposed to do . All otes I have shot have been with a scatter gun, my 222 is great for consevation practices.

Bones
12-25-2007, 08:00 AM
Congrats Baron -
Nice looking Dog and enjoyed the story!
Bones:TT:

skb20
12-25-2007, 09:45 AM
.204???? Really SIR, don't you think that is a little risky?? I mean, an enraged 'yote charges you at short range.... and wouldn't something like a 45-70 offer a bit of security in terms of alot more stopping power?? :tn: :st: Use enough gun, SIR, use enough gun!!! :HP:

The Baron of Bufflehead
12-25-2007, 10:27 AM
Oh sure, now you've gone any made me nervous Joe! :rf: If noise weren't a factor in a lot of my areas, I'd try the 45-70. I do plan on taking it for a walk some day soon.:hest:

2labs
12-25-2007, 07:49 PM
Nice yote ,I am hoping to get out next week!!

DrBob
12-26-2007, 05:41 AM
Congrats! I'm dyin' to try predator calling myself. In the future...

BlueDevil
12-26-2007, 08:32 AM
Congrats Rob way to go! :TT:

JoDawg
12-28-2007, 10:52 AM
Excellent Rob, obviously your studies are coming to fruition. New gun just arrived so I'm hoping to get out in the next few days and see what I can do.

kirsch
01-02-2008, 08:22 AM
Great Job Baron, glad to see another coyote on the ground/snow. Keep it up.