PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Red fox...DOWN!

Quacker-Wacker
12-25-2007, 10:14 AM
Well me and my brother headed out this morning to make a couple of stands. Everything was flooded and then frozen so we decided to stay up on the railroad tracks. As we walked down the tracks to our first calling location, I saw a fox cross the tracks about 250 yards out. I put the foxpro on the upwind side of the tracks in the brush and we sat on the edge of the brush on the other side and started the bunny blues. The fox didn't pay much attention to us (I think he saw us) He kept crossing back and fourth across the tracks. After about 5 min of watching the fox and turning the call on and off I heard a noise behind me. I turned to see another fox comming out of the brush and trotting right towards us at less than 20 yards! We both saw each other at the same time but I managed to swing my shotgun around and send a load of #2 hevi shot at him as he entered the brush. At first I thought I missed him but as I got to the spot I saw him laying about 10 feet in the brush.:uh:

The Baron of Bufflehead
12-25-2007, 10:30 AM
Right on Q-W!:cool: Sounds like the railway track setup works for both of us. Good job on making the quick shot. We've not many fox around here. I think the 'yotes thinned them right oout. I may try up home one weekend, there are lots of reds up there still.

I hear you on the wet then frozen. We had crazy heavy rain all day Sunday here, and things are really drowned. The fields I was in yesterday were flooded and muddy, and the ice was not quite enough to hold me up. I went through the ice in a field yesterday right to my knees!:up:

GANDER D. BANDER
12-25-2007, 12:20 PM
Thats awesome I am still waiting on one to show up to my caller. There is no question he has a home on the wall when I do get one. Congrates!

kirsch
01-02-2008, 08:38 AM
Very nice fox. In the 90's we had fox all over the place in ND. After the mange went through, we lost about 95% of the fox population. It has been about 10 years since the mange got really, really bad, so a few are starting to show back up again.

I loved stalking them especially. Great shot and good job calling them. When they start coming in, it is hard to stop them sometimes.

honker slayer
01-03-2008, 02:58 PM
awesome job

Ruff
01-03-2008, 05:15 PM
Great looking critter. Congrats!!