PDA

View Full Version : Night Hunting Question

Justin
12-29-2007, 05:19 PM
Ok guys, as hunting goes, Coyote and Fox are the newest things I've tried and while I've been successful, still have a lot of questions.

I was reading the other day on night hunting fox with shotguns and the author of the article was saying to "get into position as soon as you see their eyes." he also mentioned "illuminating their eyes to watch their every move."

I assume they are using a light of some sort? caan someone fill me in on the specifics as to how the night hunting game works?

Thanks,

Justin

The Baron of Bufflehead
12-29-2007, 09:16 PM
Night hunting is not allowed here in Ontario, so I'm afraid I'm not much help Justin. But, I assume one of those 1,000,000+ candlepower hand held lights would work well. I have been coon hunting with them before and they work extremely well but battery life is not long if you use the rechargeable kind. Also, I've seen some gun mounted spotlights for sale that would likely make the shot easier if you had to otherwise hold your own light.

Chasing 'yotes at night with a spotlight would be cool. I know of a dead cow right now I'd love to go out and light up.:hest:

Flipper
12-29-2007, 09:30 PM
We do it in Indiana, you need a red lens on your light and don't hit them with a bright spot or they will spook and turn their head and run. We wear coon hunting headlights with a snap on red lens. I like to try and open my beam up so it is a wide angle and kind of keep it high so they are in the fringe of the light. You have got to be very careful because a deer bedded down looks a lot like coyote eyes! I have seen coyotes come from a long way off and it looks like red Devil eyes coming to get you.

We were watching a Yotes eyes streaking at us from about 300 yards when another came out of a fence row beside us about 30 feet away and scared the crap out of us.

Justin
12-30-2007, 03:50 PM
Thanks! I'll check the regs in Iowa and see what, if anything, I can do.

Sounds like the type of hunting you don't want to do alone. I get freaked out with all the eyes I see walking into my deer stand with the red lense on so I can only imagine having a pair (or pairs) of eyes running full bore in my direction. I might have to throw a spare set of shorts in the hunting pack for that hunt...

Flipper
12-30-2007, 04:05 PM
It is exciting!

GANDER D. BANDER
01-01-2008, 07:57 AM
Thanks! I'll check the regs in Iowa and see what, if anything, I can do.

Sounds like the type of hunting you don't want to do alone. I get freaked out with all the eyes I see walking into my deer stand with the red lense on so I can only imagine having a pair (or pairs) of eyes running full bore in my direction. I might have to throw a spare set of shorts in the hunting pack for that hunt...

Yes throw in a spare set OR TWO! You will probably need them.:rof:. I am one of thsoe guys that my imagination gets the best of me. Especially when walking out after bow hunting in the dark. The mountains come alive.There is a mountain lion behind every rock and a bigfoot behind every tree. I must look like an idiot as I am wheelding my six shooter around like a scene from Rawhide.:rof: :rof: :rof:
I just purchased 800 dollars worth of foxpro gear to do my night calling. I almost wore a coyote as a hat last year. When he was at 4 steps over my right shoulder and was still at a dead run. I had time to react with a HEYYYY! Before he would have been on me. Glad I saw him altho there was no chance for a shot it was quite the experience. I learned a couple lessons that night. But you want to talk about a RUSH!

I have tried about all the light setups from cheap rechargeable spotlights marked out with a red sharpie to high end lights that go on your scopes. All of them work but the best thing I have found is the NiteLite Wizard II. I do not use them on the gun or on a hat. Just loose so I can scan almost 360 degrees. Then when I get ready for the shot I hold it between my palm and my foreend of my rifle. If it attached to something then its never where you need it to be. it cost me about 80 bucks. Infact my wife grabs it when ever she goes outside at night to the garage.Just a handy unit to have around. Buy a couple of each color lenses as they are cheap and you will break crack them.
Flipper is right on about how to use the light. I believe you can have too much light on them and turn them away. The Wizard II is just about the right amount with the reostat? ability to raise or lower the ammount of light. I uses a medium setting to scan then as I see one coming I slowly turn the dial until I am at max light so there is no odd transition. You can see eyes farther then what you "think" the light is reaching. It looks from your perspective that it is only reaching 30 yards but in reality you will see eyes over a 100 at medium light.
Night hunting is a whole diffrent game. To me they seem more at ease with their surrounding and not near as skittish. You will also see alot more animals, alot more foxes and bobcats then you do in the daylight. But it's not for the faint at heart. It can get SPOOKY! when you are surrounded by devil eyes. You might try moon light calling. During the full moon week if we have snow on the ground ( the goose hunting sucks anyway :rof: ) we will call open areas and knock the pizz outta 'em.
Good luck and buy more shorts!!:VC: :TT: :TT:

Flipper
01-02-2008, 03:31 AM
I guess I should have gone into more detail about the lights. I have a Nitelite gell cell rechargable system that has a belt and headlamp and a Wheat headlamp and Nitelite gell battery. I like the headlamp style because I can walk, trap, or work hands free at night with ease. The reostat? is on the light and lets you turn a nob to change from a wide beam to a spot or go from high or low intensity.

When I get on stand I unclip the light from my hard hat and hold it like what GDB said because when you shoot your head is cocked to the side and that makes it tough. I will post a link to the Nite Lite site so you can check out the lights and stuff.

http://www.huntsmart.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/displayleaf/sid/251749662528021820274/lh/h-0,c-87/sqst/1
I have a Hot Lite Pro with a removable red lens.

Hope this helps, you get over your fear the first time you uncork a .223 or 12 ga. in total darkness and see the muzzle flash!:uh:

If you take a friend you can both see spots after the shot!:pk: