PDA

View Full Version : A "Dog Day" Afternoon

The Baron of Bufflehead
01-05-2008, 06:58 PM
Today was dedicated to chasing coyotes. Road Runner and I got an early start in his area, but too much travel and visiting had us only getting in 3 stands by 2pm. I was determined to give it a good try today, so I drove right by my exit for home and headed to my own area. I hit one farm that had produced for me once already, and made one quick stand but there were no takers. I checked one other huge field but glassing it showed no tracks that I could see, so I decided the long walk to the other side was not worth the calories. Besides, I was running out of light and had a honey hole in mind. So I headed to a farm I had not hunted since October. The wind was right and the mild overcast day was turning into rain/wet snow so I figured the coyotes might be hunting in the thick stuff before the storm. There were some tracks around, so I got set up at about 4pm along the fence line with the wind at my back. I hung the FoxPro from the single elm tree in the field about 40 yards in front of me. I started with rabbit distress for about 15 minutes, and then played a few interrogation howls. I then looked to my left and could see half a coyote staring over a rise in the field about 150 yards from me. I blinked a few times but it was still there, so even after 9 hours chasing ‘yotes today I was not dreaming. I switched the caller to a squeaking coaxer on low volume. I was planning to slide my gun over and shoot that coyote where she stood, and then noticed a second ‘yote moving just a little past her. I had attracted my first double ever! Before I could make a move the one dog broke into a trot coming down to the caller. I had a rabbit decoy wiggling there as well so maybe she saw that. Anyway, once she broke the 100 yard mark I thought to myself this is one dead coyote. I was following her in the scope and sure enough she headed straight to the downwind side of the elm tree. She started to slow into that hopping gate they do just before they stop. My finger moved onto the trigger and I knew as soon as she stopped, I’d pop her. But before she stopped she ran into my wind (I kinda forgot about that not-so-minor detail) and turned straight away and put on the afterburners. Crap! I tried “woofing” at her but she was lined out and not slowing up a bit. I quickly switched to “ki-yi’s” at full volume but she never faltered. I thought about starting the blaze away at her on the run, but I then remembered the second ‘yote. I lifted my head off the scope and he was also running away but not as fast as he obviously didn’t yet know why they were running. I switched to him and had faith in all I read that they will usually stop. Well, stop he did and I was ready. This time I trusted the flat trajectory of my .204 and held right on him. The 40gr. Berger found its mark and he spun like crazy then took off running full tilt for the woods. I tried lobbing a second round at him (I figured I’d nothing to lose as he was hit) but never connected. I paced out to where I hit him… 380 paces, which puts the shot at over 300 yards. There was a blood trail a blind man could follow, but he still made it about 200 yards to the bush line and I found him about 20 yards in the woods. I’d caught the back of his lungs. I was happy I had chosen the 40gr. loads that day and got a good exit/blood trail. I assume the second dog was the female. I should have popped her before she hit my scent trail and maybe stood a good chance of making the double, but hindsight is always 20/20.

So, that’s #3 so far this season. I think the coyotes are starting into the breeding, so I have high hopes for calling in more pairs in the next few weeks. Hopefully I can capitalize on it next time, now that I learned another lesson about the importance of staying conscious of the wind. Another day, another dog… and another lesson learned!

Here's a foggy shot when I got back to the truck. Light was fading fast after I dragged this fella about a kilometer back to the truck. Wish I'd had the camera with me, as I'd taken a shot of the blood trail too. It was impressive (these buggers are tough).
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y216/thebaron1/08-1-501.jpg

We had guests for dinner, but to my surprise they wanted to see the coyote, so I got my wife to snap a better pick. I'm no expert, but this fella seemed pretty full-growed to me!
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y216/thebaron1/08-1-502.jpg

GANDER D. BANDER
01-05-2008, 08:16 PM
Awesome story and pics. :pl: Hopefully tomarrow AM I will get my whole new predator hunting rig bloody at the same time. My new Scorpion, JIB decoy, and my new Remmy 204. I have my eye on an almost black red fox that i have seen a couple times but haven't got a pop at him. Maybe it is his day.:TT: :TT:

skb20
01-05-2008, 08:19 PM
Yikes, SIR. That dude is a beast!! Mighty fancy shooting stick as well. Nice job.

The Baron of Bufflehead
01-06-2008, 01:40 AM
I hope you do D. BANDER... I'll be waiting for the field report on that sweet line-up of goodies!:TT: What load are you going to be shooting in the .204?

Thanks Joe... one day a few weeks back I forgot my shooting sticks so I fashioned that one. Darned if I didn't shoot a coyote that day, so I started calling it my lucky shooting stick. On that last stand yesterday I put by Stoney Point stix back in the back and took my lucky stick. It worked again, so it'll ride with me everyday now! I actually find a mono-pod style is way easier to work with in the deep snow, that cross-stix.

GANDER D. BANDER
01-06-2008, 04:14 AM
I am running 32 gr VMax bullets and 28 grs of Varget. I have only had the gun a couple months and put enough thru it to sight it in. Hopefully I can get a load that it really likes developed soon but with all these seasons going on, It's really hard to get anything done. Just ask my wife. :rof: :rof: It is the first time in the field for the 204 I usually shoot my Ruger 22 250 which is my old stand by. Kinda like a good pair of socks hard to break out some new ones if the old ones still work.
I will let ya know....:TT:

Quacker-Wacker
01-06-2008, 05:19 AM
Awsome job Baron! Looks like your puttin a hurtin on them coyotes. They will teach you something new everyday. :uh: Wish we had as many coyotes as you do. I had coyotes all summer long howling almost every night. Now that winter is here, I don't see or hear them anymore but now we seem to be covered up with red fox!
So your using the 40gr Berger. I could not get them to group half as good as the 35s. Its funny how some guns are, mine shoots a 39gr Sierra into 1/2" but jump to a 40gr bullet and it goes up to 1-1/2" !!!
So are you skinning those yotes to take to the fur auction?

AllBusiness
01-06-2008, 06:00 AM
Yeah! Look at the chest on that sucker!
AB

Bardern
01-06-2008, 08:58 AM
:pl: :pl: :pl: :pl: :pl: :pl: :pl:

geez Baron for a newbie you seem to be doing REALLY well. And yes that is a huge dog, and an incredible shot, 300 yds amazing!

Snow cover down here is keeping us from going out, later this week after the major thaw the snow should stiffen up. The houndmen are fairing little better. Are you calling constantly with the FoxPro? I like using a reed call and am not sure when I am over calling.

DUCKDIGGLER
01-06-2008, 11:33 AM
The Baron of Bark....strikes again! Nice doggie Sir. You got me all fired up to chase some dogs....SOON!!

The Baron of Bufflehead
01-06-2008, 01:41 PM
Barry... I'm doing about 2-3 minutes "on" and 1-2 minutes "off" on the rabbit distress. Howling is very infrequent... 2 -3 howls then wait 5+ minutes.

Ken... I have loaded up both the 35gr. and 40gr. Bergers. My gun seems to like them both the same... about 3/4" groups at 100. Luckilly, the 40gr. shoot to the same point of impact, but 1" higher. Too perfect. I have shot two dogs with the 35's and maybe hit another on a similar long shot (+/- 300 yards). My buddy thought he heard a "thump" on that one (like I hit meat), but there was no blood we followed the trail about 3/4km but no body so it's hard to say what really happened. So, because the pelts aren't worth spit here, I decided to try the 40's and go for the exit/blood trail benefits. One dog is not a real test, but I like the results I got yesterday in that regard.

I'm not skinning my dogs, unless I get a real nice one, then I'll want it for my wall. Reportedly, there's a coyote contest north of here so I will try to take the dogs there. I was told a local trapper is taking them all. I ran into a fellow 'yote hunter at the range last week and he told me he gave his dogs last year to a friend who has a trapper's license. That guy got a high of $4 for them, but most didn't even sell. These Eastern hides just don't hold a candle to the ones coming from the cold prairies, I guess.

Quacker-Wacker
01-06-2008, 02:28 PM
Baron you should give the 40gr Nosler bullet a try. Better BC and supposed to be easy on the hides also.

The Baron of Bufflehead
01-07-2008, 04:44 PM
Q-W... I am going to try out some Wildcat bullets (Canadian made match quality HP's with J4 jackets). I'm shooting Wildcats now in my .222 mag (accurate!) and Wildcat will have .204's available soon. I tried the 40gr. VMax's and my gun wouldn't pattern them at all... best I got was 2.5" at 100 yards!:tu:

Just for interests sake... I took the last 2 coyotes shot to the contest north of me and weighed them in... the female I shot over the holidays was 38 pounds and the male pîctured in this thread was 41 pounds. As far as I could tell from the scoreboard, the female is on the heavy side of average for around here, and the male is about average. There has already been one 50lb. male checked in!

BlueDevil
01-07-2008, 09:44 PM
These Eastern hides just don't hold a candle to the ones coming from the cold prairies, I guess.

There are no coyotes in the cold prairies it is just an urban legend! :tn: :nn: In all honesty I have seen more coyotes this year hunting geese than any other year that I can remember. You think DSD Honkers fool geese? they do a terrific job in bringing in the coyotes. :rof:

kirsch
01-08-2008, 08:13 AM
GanderBander,

Don't be shocked if your 32 gr. Vmax cause huge holes and let lots of coyotes get away. I was about ready to give up on my .204 as 4 out of 5 coyotes shot dead-center escaped. The one we did get, we had to shoot 3 times and the thing looked like we had hit the thing with grenades.

In 20+ years of calling, I had never lost a coyote hit well with either my .17 Rem or my 22-250. I thougt the .204 was a joke. Then I switched to 35 gr. Bergers and I couldn't find hardly any entrance hole to speak of and typically no exit hole, but coyotes just laid over dead. They reacted very similar to how they react with my .17 Rem shooting Begers. I have switched my 22-250 over to Bergers as well.

Bergers do well in most of the high-end shooting tournaments as well as if you look over the predator forums such as coyotegods.com, all they recommend is the Berger bullets due to their fur friendliness but yet devastation on a coyote. Just my .02 from using the .204. I think I have Baron convinced as well. I never tried the 40 gr Bergers because 40 gr. Vmax, keyholed through paper so I stick with the 35 gr. Heck, if a 25 gr Berger kills them dead in my .17, why wouldn't the 35 gr? If the V-Max work for you, great, but most of the people I know who shoot .204 have moved away from the Vmax bullets for coyotes and fox.

kirsch
01-08-2008, 08:20 AM
Baron,

Great job on a very, very big coyote. Either you are really short or that is a big coyote. I guess you only call in the really big ones :st:

I have been burned by the wind so many times, that I have lost count. The last time I was out, I put the downwind side to the point where a coyote had to cross a busy highway plus run in front of my truck to be able to wind me.

Guess what happened when I got up. I had looked everywhere except directly behind me because a coyote would never cross a busy highway and come in front of my parked truck right? Wrong, that is exactly what happened. You do what can, but you always need to remember where your scent is going and sometimes take a shot a bit early. That coyote will be extremely difficult to ever call in, and she will teach her pups to watch out for your scent as well. :tn:

The Baron of Bufflehead
01-08-2008, 02:01 PM
Thanks for the tips kirsch! Yes, the lesson I learned was next time stop her on before she gets past the treee/winds me. I should have barked or something, or worse come to worse shoot her running. I now know that waiting for a dog to stop means no shot at all if they cross your wind. I was kinda surprised (and pumped!) that she was running right into me setup. This is the first coyote I've watched coming in and I got cocky thinking I was watching a dead coyote running in.:rf:

bigredguy42
01-08-2008, 03:41 PM
Baron i need to know what sounds to order.

i have a choice of 16 i went with the cheap model.

First one would be a squirrel now i have 15 more any help? :VC: :VC:

Tell you what Ill buy you a Beer at the local tavern :0 my local tavern

BlueDevil
01-08-2008, 07:16 PM
Baron i need to know what sounds to order.

i have a choice of 16 i went with the cheap model.

First one would be a squirrel now i have 15 more any help? :VC: :VC:

Tell you what Ill buy you a Beer at the local tavern :0 my local tavern

You have to remember Baron is Canadian and was weened on Canadian beer so that would mean you'd have to buy Baron at least 6 beer to match the potency of 1 Canadian beer! :nn: :OUCH:

The Baron of Bufflehead
01-09-2008, 05:59 PM
You have to remember Baron is Canadian and was weened on Canadian beer so that would mean you'd have to buy Baron at least 6 beer to match the potency of 1 Canadian beer! :nn: :OUCH:

Thanks for tellin' him like it is B-D - saves me having to explain hows that works!:TT:

I am gonna take you up on that someday Art!!:cool:

16 FoxPro sounds? Hmmm... I'm no expert yet, and your desert dogs may be a bit different than mine... but these are the ones I'm using regularly...
209 Coyote Pup Distress 1
211 Interrogation Howl
212 Coyote Male Challenge
213 Coyote Female Invitation
218 Coyote Ki-Yi
237 Cottontail Distress 1
250 Kiss of Death
515 Chirping Coaxer
259 Fawn Distress

These ones I don't have yet, but I might get...
179 Coyote Hurt Pup
185 Domain Howl
187 Interrogation Howl 2
255 Fawn Cry
350 Baby Cottontail Distress
L54 Bay Bee Cottontail
C16 Female Coyote Howls

I assume you have jackrabbits in your area? I don't use those sounds much here, but I'd think they'll work for you... maybe...:CF: A good selection of coyote vocalization, and a selection of typical prey sounds (common to your area) is a good start IMHO.

bigredguy42
01-09-2008, 07:53 PM
This is what im going with so do tell what do think . Robert anytime you want buddy. If you want to come during Duck and goose or Coyote season thats open all the time just let me know. Make sure you bring your pellet gun so we can kill a few Red Squirrels

>
211 Interrogation Howl
212 Coyote Male Challenge
213 Coyote Female Invitation
218 Coyote Ki-Yi
237 Cottontail Distress 1
250 Kiss of Death
209 Pup Distress
243 Chicken Distress 1
R09 Red Squirrel Distress
179 Coyote Hurt Pup
185 Domain Howl
180 Coyote Bark
350 Baby Cottontail Distress
L54 Bay Bee Cottontail
C16 Female Coyote Howls
R03 Grey Squirrel Distress

The Baron of Bufflehead
01-10-2008, 01:42 AM
Looks like a good selection to me Art!:DR:

Wood Duck Wizard
01-11-2008, 06:12 AM
Congrats Bud!!!!
Great to see your newfound passion starting to show rewards!!!!!!

HitmenWaterFowlin
01-20-2008, 04:15 PM
Awesome story and pics. Looks like a very healthy full grown dog to me. What do you think he weighed 40-45 pounds or so, it's hard to tell from the pic???

jimfaststeel
01-20-2008, 06:28 PM
That things a toad. Got to love contrast of the blood on the snow. NICE!!!

The Baron of Bufflehead
01-21-2008, 05:58 AM
Awesome story and pics. Looks like a very healthy full grown dog to me. What do you think he weighed 40-45 pounds or so, it's hard to tell from the pic???

He weighed in at 41 pounds.