PDA

View Full Version : FoxPro....thoughts, comments....which one??

DUCKDIGGLER
01-07-2008, 04:47 PM
Okay guys....the title says it all.

I will be using it for Primarily crow hunting and coyote/fox hunting. What are your thoughts? Which Model? Why?

I want to buy one and buy it once....cause they ain't cheap!

Or should I just stick with my 20 year old Johnny Stewart cassette tape set up??

thank you in advance fellas!

The Baron of Bufflehead
01-07-2008, 05:36 PM
Hey 'Diggler!

I've got the FX3 and am very happy with it. I think the FX3 is a good way to go, because it has the basic FoxPro features (remote, downloadable sounds) for a bit less $ than the FX5. And, I believe FoxPro will upgrade your unit from FX3 to FX5 for just the difference in price (better confirm that on their website). That makes it pretty safe, because if you don't like it, you can sell a lightly used FX3 for darned near what you paid, and if you do you can upgrade to FX5 whenever you like. I am now considering the FX5 upgrade as my treat to myself if I keep at this coyote hunting with such interest.:hest:

I have some of the crow sounds and they seem to attract them pretty well. On some boring coyote stands that have gone on too long, I've switched to crow calls when there were some around. The volume of the FX3 is pretty good, but if you need more for crows or snow geese you can run an auxilliary speaker, because there is an output jack on the FX units. I think there's info on that too on their website.

There was a little more info on this thread...

http://www.flocknockers.com/showthread.php?t=60643

Let us know what you decide!:TT:

GANDER D. BANDER
01-07-2008, 05:40 PM
To be honest I have zero experience with the FX3 or FX5. But I can tell you I just recently got the Scorpion and I love it. Ofcourse, 4 dead dogs on 4 stands will make you think that way. I upgraded from an old JS tape and it is a WORLD of diffrence. Also the Jack in the Box is the real deal! It's money well spent if you ask me!

Quacker-Wacker
01-08-2008, 04:30 AM
I have the 416B and I like it alot. If I was to get another one it would be the FX3 hands down. It has everything you will ever need. Any one above that is just more money without much more function

GANDER D. BANDER
01-08-2008, 05:18 AM
I went with the scorpion because it has the remote capabilities of the FX5 with the size of a check book box. It is plenty loud for what I need. I am going to get the SP55 ext speaker for the wind. I comes 100 sounds with the max being 200 sounds. I think 100 is way more then a man needs but at 25 dollars for 8 sounds to buy to reload your 32 sound unit I thought it was worth it to get 100 all in one whack. Plus allpredator calls had a deal when I bought mine, they threw in the rechargable battery pack(80 bucks) free.

kirsch
01-08-2008, 08:47 AM
DuckDiggler,

It depends on how serious you wish to get. It is just like asking someone what type of shotgun or decoys should I get. You can pay as much as you want. Will skinny's work sure, will bigfoots work sure, will GHG;s work, sure, will DSD work sure, will stuffers work sure. It all depends on your needs, pocket-book, and seroiusness of the hunter.

FoxPro makes a good call and I only have good things to say about them. I would have to say they lead the Industry right now with their marketing as well as their sales. I have used JS, FoxPro, Western Rivers, and Wildlife Technologies and more. To me there is a clear winner for me but that is only for me.

The WildLife Technologies call is louder, clearer, and the sounds are better in my opinion. Go to their website at http://www.wildlifetech.com/pages/home.htm look up their phone number and listen to some of their sounds and see what you think. The unit and the sounds are a lot more expensive than FoxPro, so beware as the FoxPro is expensive enough. The base WT unit runs $850 and past 32 each sound is something like $30.

I held off for 3 years while a few elite hunters in my area and predator control agents used this call in my area and racked up coyote after coyote. I finally borrowed a buddies one weekend. It only took one weekend to sell all my other calls but one that I keep just in case as a backup. The FoxPro has a couple of additional bells and whistles such as playing two sounds at once that the WT doesn't have but for me the WT has been worth every penny.

I am not affiliated with WT in any way. WT doesn't advertise because they don't have to. I talked to the owner this week and he says they can't keep up right now as word of mouth has spread so fast on the success of this calling system. I probably shouldn't be spreading anymore info as it is nice to be able to have something different and have the edge as most people won't shell out this kind of money for a caller. Just another option if you are interested :Art:

DUCKDIGGLER
01-08-2008, 05:03 PM
Thanks guys for all the info.....a hunting I will go!!

Flocknocker
01-08-2008, 09:39 PM
Hey GB. you like those pre-programed sounds buttons at the top of the remote, I will be doing some night time ops. I'm looking to buy one myself and need something as small as I can get for the middle of some flat winter wheat fields, no cover at all, thinking of bright days. I need to draw them from the heavy cover (tall CRP) to get a shot. I looked at that scorpion. Looks like it opens up, is that for the batteries to go in?? It also says you can run one sound in the regular speaker and one through an external speaker is that true?? Same price as the FX3, the ones I looked at anyway. Would you still get the Scorpion over the FX3 now that you have had time to mess with it. The pre-programed buttons with pre-set volume and everything seem to be a big selling point to me. Does that option work as good as it sounds like it would?? It's comin up on calving time and the farmers want me to thin the damn things out, can't use snares anymore. I usually thin em out at night with a full moon and a mouth call. This year no moon just lots of snow, hehehe.

Cliff

GANDER D. BANDER
01-09-2008, 06:26 AM
Cliff,
I would buy the Scorpion. Its plenty loud for most situations and crystal clear sounds. When I got it in the mail I opened it up and thought this little thing ain't gonna be worth pizz. I was pleasently surprised. That is correct you can run an external speaker and the internal at the same time. There are ways to run it in stereo and just takes a few seconds to switch it over. That way you can run a baby goat on the internal and a coyote howling on the external.then shut each or both of them off. The presets are cool as I only use about 4 sounds. There are ports for two speakers and an aux port which runs the jack in the box but will also run a video camera. Pretty bad ass little unit if you ask me. :TT:

Flocknocker
01-09-2008, 11:00 AM
Thank you sir!!

Cliff

bigredguy42
01-09-2008, 11:26 AM
Cliff i went with the 416LR it also has a external Jack for another speaker. You can also hook up a Jack in the box and they are on sale right now. I paid $300 for it from Fox Pro

>
• 16 programmed sounds of your choice
• FREE MAX1 Camo Carrying Case
• FREE Mossy Oak Break-Up Finish
• TX5-LR remote control
• External audio input jack (3.5mm)
• User programming cable
• PG-1A ready
• External speaker jack (3.5mm)
• Auxiliary device jack (works with Jack-in-the-Box Decoy)
• Mode select switch allows remote or manual operation
• Runs on 4 "AA" batteries (rechargeable ready)
• Tested down to -40 degrees
• Three year limited warranty on parts and labor

Now I need to figure out what sounds i want

GANDER D. BANDER
01-09-2008, 05:36 PM
BRG42 the baby pig distress is AWESOME around farms. I would also recommend Lucky Bird and lucious lips for a coaxer all those have killed dogs for me this week.
Cliff thanks for the Red green avatar I love that guy!!

bigredguy42
01-09-2008, 05:50 PM
Your Welcome. :VC: :rf:

Im going to get a few like a Squirel,Cotton tail and a Jack Rabbit we have a ton of those around here. So thats 3 now i need 13 more most of the area will be very open rolling hills type.

GANDER D. BANDER
01-09-2008, 06:57 PM
You can go to the foxpro website and listen to all the sounds. I don't know about your country but we got boat loads of magpies here. I use the magpie fight alot along with my predator sound. Not so much to get the predator to come closer with the magpie sound. I use it to get the magpies circling the area I am calling. Then I use my recall button to alternate the sounds. Say I call for two minutes then mute for a minute. during the mute I run the magpie to get some intrest around the caller. They will get midevil on the decoy!! Works great!!

bigredguy42
01-09-2008, 08:35 PM
We have a ton of big cats in our area also wonder how that would work? Do you guys use any female coyote sounds? Maybe a Pup,2 males fighting, Lone coyote call,Pack call, Think i might try the magpie maybe a crow call???/???

GANDER D. BANDER
01-09-2008, 09:59 PM
Man to only pick 16 sounds was tough out of 300 and some. I had a hard time picking 100! I would probably break it down to 5 coyote vocalizations lonesome howl, coyote locator, FM howl, ki yi and pup distress. Then go with 5 prey sounds lucky bird , baby pig distress, lightning jack, cottontail distress, and, kid goat distress. Then 6 mix lucious lips, magpie fight, bobcat in heat, fawn bleat, dying crow, prairie dog distress,(if they are in your area) good sound here. Had two coming until the got the wind with that over the weekend. I would find some that are animals native to your area. I hunt alot of farms so I pick and use alot of farm sounds chicken, guinea, kid goat, baby pig, guinea pig, and kitten distresses. They eat that up literally! :TT: