PDA

View Full Version : Anudder Dead 'Yotie

The Baron of Bufflehead
01-12-2008, 12:35 PM
Been burnin' the candle at both ends all week with work, but got out this morning with the Wood Duck Wizard. Hit one of his spots... a huge field set well back from the roads. Farmer had been seeing/hearing a pair in there recently... said the male was real dark, so we figured it was a good place to start.

It was a long stand, about 40 minutes of rabbit distress and some lonesome howls. I figured we can see a ton of real estate, so give 'em time to come. 'Wiz heard some response howls to our first howls, way across the field in the woods. I threw in some challenge howls and even a ki-yi at the end. We stood up to leave and wouldn't you know it we see a coyote walk out about 400+ yards across the field! We dropped back down and after some fumbling I got the remote out again and turned on some chirping coaxer. The 'yote had walked into the woods but came back out again. He turned broadside, then stretched out and did a few howls. That was cool! When he howled, his mate started yipping in the woods and then she stepped out... another pair! She was very light and he was dark - quite a contrast between the two. Anyway, the coaxer wasn't moving them, so I tried some ki-yi's. They seemed very interesteed, but still not moving. I was eyeing the female up and figuring I'd try that 350+ yard shot if need be. The male howled back a couple more times so I threw a couple challenge howls out. After a few second I switched back to the rabbit distress... and here they both come on the run!:hest: They crossed the tractor road over a deep ditch, then the female split off and started arcing around to the left to catch our wind, but the male stayed on the road at full charge. 'Wiz had a shotgun so he told me just shoot whatever/whenever I wanted. When the male stopped at about 125 yards facing us I plugged him and he went straight down. Then I turned my attention to the female. I quickly put on ki-yi's at full volume. 'Wiz said "there she is, going along the hill". I found her and got her in the scope just as she stopped at about 250 yards. I fired and saw the dirt fly. Kinda looked like I shot right through her, but she dropped her shoulders and kicked it into overdrive and disappeared below a rise in the field. I switched back to double check the male and the bugger was hobbling away! Two loads of 00 buck and one .204 in the guts later and he gave up. Tough buggers!

We found the female's tracks in the mud, but no blood or hair. Man I wish we'd had some tracking snow! She never spun, which seems to be the usual sign of a hit, and we hadn't heard the bullet hit her, so after a good look in the woods and around the field we concluded it was a miss. I'm getting closer to the elusive double... next time I'll have to stop goofing around and make the second shot.:rf:

This male felt like he weighed a ton, because I had to carry him instead of dragging him. Checked him in at a local contest and he tipped the scale at 41lb. 6oz. There's one less turkey/deer killer in the woods here. Note the lucky shooting stick. I'll never leave the truck without it again!
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y216/thebaron1/08-1-1203.jpg

Here's where they came from... they came out on that snow way across the field at the top centre of the pic.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y216/thebaron1/08-1-1201.jpg

whytey
01-12-2008, 03:26 PM
Congrats Baron, nice look'n dog.

bigredguy42
01-12-2008, 03:28 PM
Robert i am soooooooooooooo proud of you. I bet I'm more proud of you then your Mom :up: You are turning out to be a yote killing SOB :TT: :TT: Nice job and keep up the good work, The Pictures are awesome

hooked on waterfowl
01-12-2008, 03:49 PM
That's a great story!Way to Go!

Wood Duck Wizard
01-12-2008, 05:37 PM
It was a fun day and to see that boy stand and howl was really cool!!!
Glad to spend the morning afield and to make a Farmer happy is just a bonus!!
Hope we can get at them again....
As for the lucky shooting stick...we forgot it after taking pics and the next stand was a bust so The Baron ensured that he returned and regained the " Magic Wand"....

BlueDevil
01-12-2008, 09:02 PM
Congrats, nicely done Baron! :TT:

Quacker-Wacker
01-13-2008, 03:42 AM
Way to go Baron!!! Looks like your lucky monopod stick is paying off, want to sell it?

Flipper
01-13-2008, 04:55 AM
Way to go Baron, you are turning into quite the killer!

Virbal
01-13-2008, 07:26 AM
You certainly are having a lot of fun with your new toys Rob, thanks for the great stories and pics.

Ruff
01-13-2008, 11:07 AM
Either your short or that's a large song dog! :) Which ever it is congrat's and a great story!! ;)

The Baron of Bufflehead
01-13-2008, 11:29 AM
He Ruff... I'm 6'4" and about 270lbs, so that gives you an idea how big that bugger was!

Q-W... I don't think it would be very smart of me to sell that stick. I think it has all my coyote mojo in it!:rof:

bigredguy42
01-13-2008, 11:37 AM
I'm 6'4" and about 270lbs WOW :OM: Thats a lot of Meat and Carrots. Looks like the Family life is treating you good Robert. Maybe its the :VC: :VC: :VC: Whats this About 270 crap

DUCKDIGGLER
01-13-2008, 02:27 PM
Nice Dude!! Very Nice! Thats one hell of a dog!

You are getting awfully efficient at this game my man....I will be looking you up for some tips...soon.

Congrats Baron Of Bark!

GANDER D. BANDER
01-13-2008, 04:35 PM
What a STUD! Congrates!! Reading that just made me wannda go kill something!

BRUNO
01-13-2008, 04:54 PM
6'4" and about 270lbs

....now folks that's a svelt 270 FYI, he carries it well.....ish.....

Congrats Brah!! Hoping to have my thunder-stick sometime this week....was out on snowmobile yesterday with Cole, found a bunch of young Caribou yarded up and wouldn't you know it, there were some dog tracks in the area...I couldn't venture too far by myself with a 4 year old, it'd be a Looooooooong hump out in waist deep snow if I got my machine bogged.....let alone a Looooooong evening getting chastized by the wife!!!!!

The Baron of Bufflehead
01-14-2008, 05:17 AM
Whats this About 270 crap

....now folks that's a svelt 270 FYI, he carries it well.....ish.....

Man! I was being honest about my weight, and you fellas are beatin' me up!:hp:

Like I always say... everybody likes boobs, but then you put a little hair on them and they all get upset. Sheesh!:rof: :rof:

Bardern
01-14-2008, 05:20 AM
Holy Moley Rob! What did all those poor coyotes do to piss you off so bad?

kirsch
01-14-2008, 07:07 AM
You are going to make the rest of us start to look bad :)

Great Job.

BRUNO
01-15-2008, 02:43 PM
I was being honest about my weight
Good point Rob, admitting you have a problem is the first step to recovery.....I'm with you brah...

Hello everyone....my name is BRUNO, and I'm fat too.

...ther I said it .......and you know wha?........it feels good.

honker slayer
01-15-2008, 04:23 PM
awesome dude

bigredguy42
01-16-2008, 03:43 PM
Welcome BRUNO. Thanks for being so honest :TT: :TT:

HitmenWaterFowlin
01-20-2008, 04:06 PM
Baron you are the yote' slayin machine. Man if you ever need a hand with those yotes around your place let me know, I love hunting those beauties.
Congrats and keep us updated if you kill anymore.

Marshwalker
01-23-2008, 05:40 PM
Baron that is a big dog, congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just sent you a pm

MNHonker
01-23-2008, 08:36 PM
Big ol yote!

Mike B
01-24-2008, 02:58 PM
Congrats Rob!!! Nice looking dog.