PDA

View Full Version : hooked on howlers now

jimfaststeel
01-19-2008, 09:02 PM
I don't know if this was a fluke deal tonight or what, but it sure was fun. Went out this afternoon and did a little scouting and found a good section full of tracks. Perfect conditions tonight, almost full moon, good snow cover, light 5 mph wind, and -7f. I got into position, waited five minutes, and made a short 30 second series of calling. Just as I quit calling a pair cut loose about a half mile away with some howls and barks. Man, talk about making the hair on my back stand up. I waited about a minute and made one more short series of calling and waited. It wasn't two minutes more and here comes a pair. We can't use any kind of lights in Iowa but I could make them out really good. At about 40 yards the male took a face full of 3 inch copperplated 4 buck and the female shot out to the right and I couldn't get on her. I hit the call with some mouse squeeks and she spun around and came right in to 30 yards where she met her maker. The 12 guage M1 and the Swat Wad Wizzard did the job. Talk about being pumped up.
I've shot a few coyotes before today, while hunting pheasants and so forth, but after getting on this part of the forum this afternoon, I think I've found a new way to beat the winter blues. Reading all your posts on here gave me the initative to go out and give it a try. Many Thanks my friends!!!

I've got some pics, just not very computer savy.

bigredguy42
01-19-2008, 10:55 PM
Here you go Jim. Thanks for the email and the great pictures. sorry to hear about the dog i wish you the best of luck

AllBusiness
01-20-2008, 04:27 AM
Double on Coyotes!...AWSOME!
AB

The Baron of Bufflehead
01-20-2008, 04:58 AM
Nice lookin' dogs. Great job on the shotgun double, Jim!:cool: Seeing a coyote running toward your calls is a real rush, just knowing you have fooled the top predator is very rewarding.

DUCKDIGGLER
01-20-2008, 05:06 AM
And a close range double at that! Congrats! DD

Quacker-Wacker
01-20-2008, 05:39 AM
NICE!!! What calls did you start with? That shotgun sure comes in handy when they come charging in!

hooked on waterfowl
01-20-2008, 06:06 AM
Congrat's that's awesome!That'd get rid of my winter blues for sure!

jimfaststeel
01-20-2008, 06:16 AM
Thanks guys and Art for posting the pics for me. I used an old Circle rabbit in distress call. I picked it up close to twenty years ago and all this time it's been laying around collecting dust. You guys got me thinking about maybe trying one of them electronic callers.
Thanks for getting me hooked!!!:TT:

HitmenWaterFowlin
01-20-2008, 03:58 PM
Man that's sweet. I have only killed one coyote calling and it is a huge rush. Nice double, makes me jealous for sure!

GANDER D. BANDER
01-21-2008, 05:42 AM
You are HOOKED! now! Great job! That moonlight calling is a rush! Wait till to have one run over you! I had a close call last year (thats why I got a remote foxpro) I have heard froma couple of veteran coyote hutners, where a coyote will try to take that call out of your lips. Can't wait for that to happen. Needless to say anymore when night calling all I carry is a shotgun!

kirsch
01-21-2008, 08:54 AM
Night hunting is my favorite type of coyote hunting. Clear winter night, - temps, light winds, some new snow, and a full moon is coyote delight.

Great job and you are hooked for life now. Shotguns are great to have at night as they do come in fast and hard lots of times.

Keep up the good work.

honker slayer
01-21-2008, 01:05 PM
nice pics

Bardern
01-21-2008, 04:43 PM
great job!!!! :TT: