PDA

View Full Version : Bad dog..NO Biscuit!

GANDER D. BANDER
01-20-2008, 05:34 PM
After a slow morning of coyote hunting. I had the house to myself to do "MAN stuff" like eat popcorn and watch predator DVD's. I got one the other day called "Power Howling". I have howled in the past but didn't (up till tonight) have much confidence in it. I thought I would go put my new "skills" to the test. I went back to my ranch just north of my house. I set up in what seems to be a farm equipment "grave yard". I hit two long howls on my DT howler and did some jack rabbit distress. I had my foxpro but opted to do it the old fashion way and hand call.
I was watching east as there was 150 geese in the other end of the pasture. I turned to look downwind and she was coming over the pond dike. I had to turn the gun to get on her, I lip squeeked her to 50 yards and put the 55 gr VMax right thru her chest. Best hunt yet this year!! :TT:

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/9082/dog4yy7.jpg

hooked on waterfowl
01-20-2008, 05:46 PM
Way to go!All this coyote talk has got me fired up. Next year I'm gonna seriously give it try.Looks very challenging and like alot of fun.There can't be anything more fun than using calls to fool them coyote's.

DUCKDIGGLER
01-20-2008, 05:58 PM
Yeah buddy!! Another one down!

jimfaststeel
01-20-2008, 06:25 PM
Great story and pic. WTG!!:TT:

The Baron of Bufflehead
01-21-2008, 05:57 AM
Well done!:cool:

kirsch
01-21-2008, 08:47 AM
Great job getting that coyote to respond.

To those of you thinking about howling, here is a bit of my .02 on howling. Howling adds a great option to calling coyotes. There was a time 10-15 years ago when no one was really howling much. You could go out and rip loose just about any kind of howl and the coyotes came running. A hunting companion of mine killed 100 coyotes in 2 months using nothing but a howler as he never blew a distress call one time and didn't need to.

As anything else, the coyotes adapted. Now it seems like especially with the boom of electronic callers, everyone has some type of coyote vocalization on his unit. If anything, in ND where I hunt, it is over-used. It is difficult to even get a coyote to howl back at you at night any longer. People use it too often, and also howl too long and the effectiveness of howling has diminished greatly in my area. I have found howling still to be effective, but I have to be selective on when to use and know exactly what sounds to make and when. I have been out with others who don't have a clue and after a few minutes of poorly used howling, coyotes were running away in every direction.

Keep howling, and be selective, and howl just enough to get them coming. If you howl too much, they will bust you. If you aren't fluent in a language, you might master a sentence but after a little but, the person you are speaking with will figure out you can't speak the language. Same thing with a coyote.

Think about what you are trying to say to that coyote and what might trigger him to respond. Are you trying to sound like a male or a female, are you trying to greet, challenge, or be territorial, and are you trying to sound young or old. I am still learning after 20+ of years of doing this. Just keep one simple fact in mind, with howling, less is more.

GANDER D. BANDER
01-21-2008, 08:54 AM
Good info Kirsch!!!

honker slayer
01-21-2008, 01:04 PM
good job

Quacker-Wacker
01-22-2008, 04:17 AM
Good job, you guy's are killin them!!! Congrats.

The Baron of Bufflehead
01-24-2008, 04:39 PM
... I have been out with others who don't have a clue and after a few minutes of poorly used howling, coyotes were running away in every direction.

I've picked just a small quote from your post Korey, but point is after reading it all I think I know why I saw nothing last Saturday. I thought since the dogs are pairing up here, and since my FoxPro makes perfect howls everytime it would be safe to do several howls at the start, middle and end of each stand. I am now sure I WAY over used the howling. Stupid newbie.:NW: Lesson learned, so it's back to rabbit distress and the very occasional single howl for me. I shouldn't have messed with a method that was working, but I figured since I was getting the hang of this 'yote calling game I'd get a little fancier and really up my success. hahaa!!:rof:

GANDER D. BANDER
01-24-2008, 05:01 PM
I do two howls about 30 seconds apart at the beginning of the stand then don't touch it after that. Both are of diffrent pitches. (male and female) If one howls back I challenge them back. This drives them crazy! Another thing I do is a dog fight which is a growling fight ,moving up and down the tone board. Sounds like two chiuahahaha's fighting. I howl, do some distress, the dog fight, and finish it with a short pup distress. They can't handle it!!
To give you an idea of the scenario I set up, so this all makes since. A new young coyote makes his presence known on a dominate males turf and soon makes a kill. A larger bad ass dog comes and trys to take the rabbit. A fight ensues and the pup looses his meal.Try it!!