PDA

View Full Version : First time for everything

bigredguy42
01-20-2008, 09:47 PM
This is so strange. This evening i see my front porch light come on so i go look out the window and see this huge Coon. I have a bowl of cat food to feed the wild cats that live close by. All of a sudden this coon takes off and out of the corner of my eye i see this white dog. I would say around 30 lbs or so,Now this dog is running around like crazy (Like its playing with another Dog ) Well guess what it was playing with another dog. Thats right it was playing around with this young Coyote. Note i always keep my extra shotgun by the door. I open the door and give out a few barks and they both stop and turn looking at me. Well the coyote catches wind of me and is gone in a second. I just could not raise my gun to shoot the little dog. I have been wondering do you think this dog and this yote could mate? I have heard stories of coyotes eating dogs. Why would this coyote not eat this dog? Maybe its not a true coyote ? Funny things going on

Flipper
01-21-2008, 05:48 AM
Yes they could mate. I have seen hunting dogs and coyotes together and if it's just one dog by himself the coyote does not even care, it reminds you of 2 dogs that live in the same area.

GANDER D. BANDER
01-21-2008, 06:49 AM
This time of year they start interacting with dogs. My dad lost his good border collie a few years back to coyotes. They will send one up to get the dogs attention and do just what you are describing. The coyote will then start to wonder away from the house, the dog will naturally follow, to a waiting pack of coyote which will kill the dog. It happens here all the time.

AS for your question yes they will mate they call them coydogs.

kirsch
01-21-2008, 09:30 AM
As everyone has said, this does occur. We had a 1/2 german shepard 1/2 Blue Heeler, get his back end 1/2 chewed off. Any decent sized dog can usually take one 1 coyote but with 2 or more it is trouble as they get in behind them while one is teasing the dog.

I watched coyotes do this multiple times while I was helping my dad harvest a field of course when I didn't have a gun along. One coyote would come and tease our dog and the dog would chase after him and a few minutes later 2 or more coyotes would be chasing him back. I thought at the time it was more playing than anything, but a few months later, he had his back-end chewed off at night time, so that time it wasn't playing. Shame to have to put that dog down but he wasn't going to make it.

And as everyone else has said, they can mate as can wolves and coyotes as many of the Eastern Coyotes have wolf genetics in their genes.