PDA

View Full Version : Filmed Night Hunt

kirsch
01-24-2008, 10:27 AM
Besides harvesting coyotes because it is fun, my hunting partner and I shoot and video coyote hunts for a well known outdoor video company. I won't say any names so I am not spamming or pushing products. Living in ND, we get a fair amount of snow and night hunting under a full-moon can be an option as we can't use artificial lights.

Well, last night my hunting partner and I attempted something that we don't think has been captured on film and that is a night hunt with only moonlight. The problem was the temperatutes while we were out ranged from -14 to -22 actual temperatures. We tried filiming in these conditions before but on the high-end cameras like we have, - temps totally messes up the tape mechanism. Without spending additional big bucks, we decided to try to use a cooler, pack it with heat packs and when either of us saw a coyote, we would pull the camera out and see if we couldn't captute the footage before the camera got so cold it wouldn't record.

Wouldn't you know it, on the first stand, 3 minutes in, coyote number 1 shows up. For those of you who have hunted at night, coyotes at night tend to come up fast and hard and give you little to no warning. This was no exception. In about 2 seconds, I had the cooler open, camera up, and recording. Only one problem, when I pulled the camera out in my haste, I hit the focus button on the bottom of the View Finder and all I saw was blur. I thought it was condensation for a second, but figured this coyote wasn't going to stick around long so I told my partner to shoot. Just as he shot, I zoomed back hoping the camera would come into focus. Little did I know the camera was in focus but just my eyepeice wasn't reflecting that image.

He smacked the coyote in the chest at about 90 yards and it jumps around and I am sitting there disgusted because I missed it. Then it hit me that maybe, it was the focus of the viewfinder and I cleared it up and played back the footage. When I played it back, I was very upset with myself seeing that I had the coyote dead center in frame and focused well and just when it mattered the most, I zoomed back and the camera lost focus temporarily just when the shot went off. Then my partner says, there is another one out about 250 yards that didn't like all the shooting and was moving fast. We tried a quick running shot but didn't draw any fur.

So, long story even longer, we suceeded in doing what we set out to do. The only issue was I should have trusted the camera. If that "dang" button hadn't gotten bumped, I could have even zoomed it tight. I have included 3 pictures with the first being of the coyote just before the shot 2nd is right after the shot, and the last one is with my partner with this 2 year old male coyote.

The pictures are blurry but not bad considering it is pulled from a video taken at 11:00 PM at night at -16 degrees at the time. Enjoy and hopefully next year some of you will be watching a coyote video and say "I heard about this hunt"

FYI on the first and second picture the coyote is out in the field just to the right of the fenceline. I didn't have time to circle the coyote before posting. :st:

Flipper
01-24-2008, 10:40 AM
Good job!

Flocknocker
01-24-2008, 11:19 AM
Kirsch, please feel free to tell us who you film for, I'm sure some of us would like to buy some of the tapes to see you in action. Now tell us only if it's not a problem for you and your bud.

Cliff

kirsch
01-24-2008, 11:52 AM
Cliff, thanks for the permission to post this information. I hunt and video for Drury Outdoors. They came up to ND and I hunted with a few of their crews a few years back. After the hunt, they convinced me to start filming for them.

I had approximately 7 hunts (of 30+) on Predator Madness II released in 2007, and have approx. 10 hunts (of 30+) on Predator Madness III which just released. I saw Cabelas and Bass Pro have it for sale at this time, and the clip that I am talking about should be in next year's DVD, Predator Madness IV (usually releases around Christmas). I am OK giving my name out so just look for any hunts from ND or the name Korey Kirschenmann or Mike Prochnow on it. If either name is on a segment, I was either filming and/or shooting.

One thing I will say is hunting coyotes and needing to capture it on video has made coyote hunting very, very difficult. It has taken us a full 2 years but we are starting to get the hang of it.

Flipper
01-24-2008, 12:32 PM
I can see it would be a pain in the butt, just one more thing to go wrong and at those frigid temps I am surprised you even pulled it off. Like I said good job! I will try and pick up the vids and check them out.

Flocknocker
01-24-2008, 12:45 PM
Yea doing it for film is tuff like hunting a huge winter wheat field for geese. Trying to hide the camera guy and all his motion is tuff. Tuff enough killing yotes without that head ace!!!

Man you guys should come out here if you want yotes on film we are flat covered up with em, hope we drop all the sick ones this year with the cold!! I would not touch one right now with all the mange but the shooting is good. I bet we have killed 35-40 or so this year. Full moon hunting and while scouting for geese. We leave em where they lay because they are so ate up but they will get better now with this cold winter we have had, it will kill the sick ones now where they have been able to get by the last few years. I hate to waste the pelts but I am not going to mess with em like that, just put em out of their misery. I have shot several right here over the goose carcasses. They go in the burn pit so my dogs don't get the mites on em.

I will look up those videos and buy them, I would like to see them.

Ever see the yote kill one of the Drury brothers got on tape from his bow stand?? He filmed a damn good buck get kill by a single yote, hamstrung him and then did him in. I would of called someone a liar if they told me one yote could do in a healthy big buck one on one, blew my mind. After he's done he looks in the camera and say, now you know why we kill everyone of them we can!! I like their shows it's good stuff!!

Did they buy M.A.D calls back from Kolpin??

Cliff

GANDER D. BANDER
01-24-2008, 01:21 PM
Thats awesome! What video editing software do you use? I just got into video'n my hunts. To do it by yourself is TOUGH! I got my first kill on film Sunday night but trying to get my gloves off, the camera on him, get ready to shoot, and take the shot before he nailed my decoy was a trick! Too bad I had it way to wide and you see a speck take a tumble.
I picked up the newest Drury video about a week ago. I have been meaning to watch it but I can never get thru a whole one without having to go kill something! Hopefully soon!! :TT:

kirsch
01-24-2008, 02:24 PM
Cliff, Hunting pressure in ND for yotes is extreme. I run across dozen + rigs each day on the weekends. We still get our fair share but we have to work for them and use some different approaches. I am at about 40 myself as well. Only 1 with mange so far. If I get your way, I will get a hold of you Cliff.

I have heard of that yote kill on that deer but didn't see that actual video. You have me curious to check it out now.

I haven't kept up with the changes in ownership. It appears by looking at their site that Lohman and M.A.D may now be part of Flambeau. I think Circe and Lohman joined a few years ago, too. The only thing Drury makes sure is their subcontractors use certain products for sponsor reasons and that is what I focus on.

Gander, I use a piece of software called Pinnacle Studio. Version 10.X(which I use) when it first came out was very buggy but recent updates/versions are much better. It is a nice option that falls between an entry tool and a production tool. I turn over raw video to Drury Outdoors and they do all production work and they use more professional software. I still like to do some of my own to watch throughout the year until the final video comes out.

I quit trying to video myself. Unless you have the camera mounted on top of your scope, it is about impossible with one person. I tried this a number of times with a video carmera with no LCD and gave up quickly. For a home video trying to mount to the top of your scope may be fine. You would be looking to make some type of mounting bracket for the top of your scope.

It is tough enough even if someone is dedicated to the filming on a stand. communication, camera focus, limiting movement, conditions, lighting, and more make it tough even for two people. Find a buddy to help you.

The Baron of Bufflehead
01-24-2008, 04:11 PM
Filming coyote hunts... at night... at twenty below? Man, you sure know how to make a damned tough sport even tougher Korey! Too bad about the technical miscalculation... cool pics, nonetheless.:TT:

12+ rigs in a day sure is tough competition. Your coyotes must all have their PhD's... Predator Hunter Degree!:up:

GANDER D. BANDER
01-24-2008, 05:08 PM
I got the Sony Vegas and so far I am happy with it! It's seems to be very user freindly. If this dumbarse can do it, it HAS to be EASY! I had some video last weekend of a dawg coming 500 yards across a frozen lake. I had 14 minutes include the kill and a heck of a spin. I got home and forgot what "format the disc" meant and whiped it off the camera. I was SICK!

Flocknocker
01-24-2008, 05:47 PM
I can go days, weeks, sometimes months and never see another dog hunter. I just wish we could get rid of the mange so I could get some rifle money from the pelts. When the prices were up guys would road hunt but you never seen many guys off the roads really working for them.

Cliff

Quacker-Wacker
01-25-2008, 03:29 AM
Hey, very cool pics. Awsome hunt!
PhDs... Predator Hunter Degree...:rof: :rf: :pl:

jimfaststeel
02-02-2008, 06:26 PM
Great pics!! I'm looking forward to that video coming out. Let us know when it does if you could please. Awesome:TT: