PDA

View Full Version : another quick question

speckle gut
01-25-2008, 06:46 AM
hey guys.. Thanks for the tips so far, but I forgot to ask:

what is the ideal time frame to hunt coyotes in ? I mean, is it good to get a fresh start at dawn in the morning, or can you go at them at any time of the day ? Thanks in advance. :TT:

Quacker-Wacker
01-25-2008, 07:49 AM
You can call them any time of day but I have the best luck just before dawn.:TT:

kirsch
01-25-2008, 08:06 AM
For years, I have said I am going to start journaling all the details of my hunts includind time of day, sound (s) used, how quick they came responded, day, temp, wind, etc. I just started doing that this year so in a few years, I will give you a more scientific answer.

However, for me I would estimate that I kill more coyotes on the last stand of the day than any other time. It seems I am always rushing to the very last stand and just as you can barely see one pops out and you wish you had a few more minutes of light. That is the only problem with evening hunting is you are always running up against the clock.

Another good time is the morning. I would typically say the 2nd stand of the morning not sure why but I get more on the 2nd stand than the first stand of the morning.

Still as far as ratio goes, night time would have to be the time when your ratio of stands/sightings are the highest especially when using distress sounds. They are naturally hunting. Many times a hunter will never even know one was there especially if not paying attention to the wind as the coyote winded the hunter before the hunter even saw the coyote with limited visibility.

So generally early and late are your best. That does not mean to say that you can't get them all day. When the weather has been extremely brutal, they may hunt all day. Also, when I am hunting not using prey distress calls such as most of the Fall and late Winter/early spring, I am mostly using coyote vocalization and there you are looking to get a territorial/social/parental type response and I found that can be any time of the day. If a coyote's belly is full already it is going to be harder to get him to respond unless you make him/her want to kick your butt or mate with you. :nn::tn:

speckle gut
01-25-2008, 08:55 AM
Thanks for all your help.... Hopefully I can put these tips all to good use.