PDA

View Full Version : Goose/ Duck Jerky??????

benny boy
01-29-2008, 03:13 PM
Hey guys,
Had a friend of my dad talk about making jerky by first grinding the meat then adding the spices and such and rolling it out. Helps avoid BBs as well as makes good tender jerky. I don't have a food dehydrator and was wondering if this can be cooked in the over or a smoker? Also I need a good recipe so if anyone has something similar I would love to try it! thanks again, the recipes on here are awesome although I haven't been eating enough of the birds I have shot this year I think it is about time! thanks again!

GANDERLANDER2
01-29-2008, 03:41 PM
grinding the meat sounds like a great idea, you wouldnt have to let it soak in a marenade so long. sure you could use a oven or a smoker, but if your going to grind the meat i'd find a fine( 1/4 inch or so) metal grate to keep the meat from falling through though.

AllBusiness
01-29-2008, 03:55 PM
Smoker is your best bet.
Try a dry cure. A little bit more of a "seasoning time" but it's not as messy as wet marinades.
Good luck,
AB

benny boy
01-31-2008, 09:59 AM
Thanks for the imput so far. I am curious if anyone else actually grinds the meat ahead of time, and really looking for a recipe? any help?

disco duck
01-31-2008, 10:57 AM
i just buy a seasoning pack with the cure, mesquite or hickory are my favorite, this stuffs so good i sold it at school last year and made over 200$

i dont grind mine, i just filet it into very thin strips, and i use my oven, i have a smoker but didnt like the way it turnd out.

JZ
01-31-2008, 12:03 PM
You can use a stove, my dehydrator runs at 160 degrees and 50lbs of meat takes about 16 hrs. I cut mine with lean beef and lots of spices

itchytriggerfinger
02-29-2008, 07:29 PM
I like the muscle whole. Personal preference I guess. Most of the ground up stuff that I have had got really dried out and tough. I slice my breast against the grain with a fillet knife about at least a 1/4" thick. I then soak it in whole milk over night. In the morning I dry the meat off. I then season it with High Mountain Jerky Cure. Follow the directions. I also pound the cuts a little bit to tenderize it. I put the seasoned strips in a glass baking dish and cover with plastic wrap and put back in the fridge. I like to mix the strips up about every 12 hours or so to make sure that the meat is evenly seasoned.

I've let it sit for as little as 24 hours and as long as 4 days. IMO, the longer, the better. I smoke mine low and slow. Cook it until it is dried out as much as you want it. One other thing I have started doing is hanging the strips in the smoker. Then I don't have to worry about flipping them over. I just use long wood grilling sticks soaked in water to hang them from between the rack. Good luck

MallardSX2
03-07-2008, 12:06 PM
For those who dont have 1000 bucks for a dehydrator. You can slice your meat real thin. Like .125Thick or thinner and soack in your favorite marinte for 3 days. Place on a dehydrator like this for about 2.75 hours on high power and enjoy the fruits of nature. It is THE BEST WAY to do it. I used to grind my meat. Not any more! This stuff is actually like the jack links you can buy but better and it doesnt cost much to make. I will be buying my own slicer for next year fo sho!! The only problem with my set-up is that I cant do enough of it to keep it in the fridge. haha SLICE-MARINATE-DEHYDRATE that sinmple and its not messy like grinding it then putting it in a jerkey gun. I will never do that messy set-up again!

Dehydrator Walmart-30 bucks
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b220/Mallardsx2/Waterfowl/dec82007002.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b220/Mallardsx2/Waterfowl/dec82007001.jpg

OhioGooseBuster
03-07-2008, 12:31 PM
Below is the recipe that I have used for many years and I will tell you that everyone thinks that my jerky is as good or better than the store bought. I have used the red pepper and it does give it a serious kick, which I don't mind. I have started to cut the red pepper in half in the marinate and have also made what I call the mild without the red pepper. I use a dehydrator and it takes about 12 hours to get it all done. Just check each level rack after about 10 hours and start removing the ones that are done. All I can say is YUM YUM!!

Goose Jerky Recipe
Ingredients

4 lbs goose breast, thinly sliced

2 c. teriyaki sauce

2 Tbsp tabasco sauce

2 Tbsp liquid smoke

2 Tbsp black pepper

2 Tbsp garlic powder

1 Tbsp meat tenderizer

1 Tbsp Mrs. Dash

1 Tbsp Red Pepper

Mix everything together in a large covered bowl, making sure all the goose is submerged. Put in fridge overnight. The next day, remove goose and put in dehydrator or smoker. Cook on medium until jerky is dry, but not crispy. This goose jerky recipe tastes so great, you'll think you bought it at a store!

LukeBlanco
03-19-2008, 06:41 AM
we use an oven to do all of our jerky and we keep the oven cracked ope about an inch because you don't want to cook the meat to fast. also you might want to try them packages of jerky you buy at walmart. that's all we use to mix with the ground meat.

Crazy_Farmer
03-19-2008, 07:00 AM
We've always used just straight goose meat, just finely sliced goose breast for our jerky. Sits in a marinade and then in a dehydrator for a day or two, I like it quite alot and love the taste, chews just like beef jerky but depending on the marinade it sometimes has more flavour then the store bought stuff. I think when we were out on the punt hunting brant three of us ate a bag half full from like 3 pairs of breasts.

AllBusiness
03-19-2008, 09:33 AM
I made 7 lbs last week and had Diggler smoke it for me...He's making more now, I think he said he's got 10lbs going. He use a new techique and flavor...I gotta tell ya, it was a wet marinade and it was AWSOME! I believe sweet and sour...? Much better and different then the typical hickory, HOT....