PDA

View Full Version : Decoy help.

Firehunter
02-06-2008, 09:25 AM
Hey guys , i just started some yote hunting myself, first time out i had one come in but got wary and backed off never got the shot off. i had good wind and was well hidden. i really felt i need a decoy out there to finish the job. i have looked at many but the reviews vary from good to bad. so i have been reading all the post here and figured i will try for some advice on what works well in the east and in cold weather. i already have a nice digital caller just looking for some motion to go with it.

The Baron of Bufflehead
02-06-2008, 04:45 PM
I've got an Edge Expedite brand "Quiver Critter" decoy and it seems to work well. Not too bulky to carry and good motion. Best part is they're only about $20 bucks.

Firehunter
02-08-2008, 09:58 AM
thanks, it's a tough decoy to find. most places where on back order. For the price it's worth a try. i did find a video on youtube that showed the movement looked good to me. also looked at the mojo decoy as well, a little high in price and the reviews where not the best. i'm so pumped up to get there and do some calling, i know that there are some nice coyotes in my area and they get little hunting pressure.

GANDER D. BANDER
02-09-2008, 05:31 PM
I have used the Mojo in the past, it worked good! The only down side is trying to get the stake in the frozen ground. I now have a jack in the box. They are expensive and have some cool features like the chirping coaxer. I have the ability to control it off the caller via the remote but generally just leave it run. It really doesn't do anything any other decoy on the market does. If you want an inexpensive decoy take a turkey or goose feather tied to a stick with a short piece of fishing line It does the trick also. Just giving them something to focus on thats all.

The Baron of Bufflehead
02-09-2008, 05:41 PM
Good point to make, Chris. The Quiver Critter sits on a plastic stake, so putting it in frozen ground is a no go. Deep snow works well enough if you have it.

GANDER D. BANDER
02-09-2008, 05:48 PM
I thought of deviseing a small PVC stand out of 1/2" pipe. Basically an H that is about 10" wide with a T pointing up with about 10" of pipe to drop the decoy stake in. I would use it for instances like frozen ground or when we hunt the frozen lakes. The more a think about it. I think all said and done. I would stay with the Mojo instead of spending 120 bucks on the JIB. And go with something like what I described. The motion in the mojo is crazy!!

Firehunter
02-11-2008, 06:36 AM
I have spinning goose decoy with a stand just like that, it has a large spring on top that you could push the stake into. glad you said somthing i didn't even think of it.

kirsch
02-12-2008, 11:58 AM
I am very mixed on decoys. Can they work, absoultely?

Most people don't like decoys because they don't like carrying them into the field. That isn't my reason.

My reason is that in order for a coyote to see the decoy, it must be in plain site out in the open somewhere. That decoy isn't magically going to get out in the open, so it requires the hunter to put it there. A coyote sees motion so well that if he is looking, you will get busted putting it out there. It is a risk so you just need to ask yourself which is more risky putting the decoy out or having the coyote hang up where it might come closer if the decoy is out. For me it really depends on the time of year, cover and other factors. As far as good decoys, coyote decoys, Flambeau just put out a nice coyote decoy but it has no movement as I don' think any do yet, and many others have commented on rabbit decoys.

Firehunter
02-13-2008, 11:03 AM
Kirsch, you make a some good points about decoying. I most say i'm not very inpressed with the decoys on the maket right now. well i was plannig on going today but looks like i'm getting rained out. Do any of you ever go out in bad weather? or do you save your time for the nicer days?

GANDER D. BANDER
02-14-2008, 05:29 AM
Coyote hunting is suppose to be fun to me that is MISERABLE! Most of the time they are laid up where it's dry and waiting it out. right after a storm is the best if its snow the 2nd and 3rd day are LIGHTS OUT!