PDA

View Full Version : Blaze Orange and Coyote Hunting

Littman
02-08-2008, 06:14 PM
I live and hunt in CT. We have the requirement for the use of Blaze orange when hunting with a firearm. I believe that coyotes see only in black and white. Can any of you comment on the use of blaze orange while yote hunting? Thanks Peter

The Baron of Bufflehead
02-08-2008, 07:35 PM
I have also heard from several sources that coyotes don't see color. Rumor has it that movement and recognition of the human form is what you need to avoid. I suspect you'd be fine in blaze orange - even if you don't feel very hidden.

GANDER D. BANDER
02-09-2008, 05:26 PM
B of B is correct. I read an article (not sure who it was by) that this person set out in a santa clause suit to prove the point that movement is their best friend. I personally have had them come right by me while deer hunting and never bat an eye. I think you would be ok.

salthunter
02-11-2008, 05:50 PM
Ive had coyotes and fox literally feet from me while dressed in blaze orange,...,....just move a bit and they figure you out real fast,

Maybe set up your blind with just a bit of thin brush below shooting level
Must be tough hunting geese with blaze orange:rf: :rof:

2labs
02-12-2008, 04:11 AM
Can you rear the camo style orange that dont seem as bright??

Firehunter
02-12-2008, 05:04 AM
I live and hunt in CT. We have the requirement for the use of Blaze orange when hunting with a firearm. I believe that coyotes see only in black and white. Can any of you comment on the use of blaze orange while yote hunting? Thanks Peter

I also believe you will be fine with blaze orange, but in Ct if you really don't like the orange you only have to wear it between sept. 1st till the last day in feb.

kirsch
02-12-2008, 08:57 AM
I assume coyotes and dogs see things in a similar way. The book, "How Dogs Think" by Stanley Coren has interesting information on this subject. A couple of key points. Dogs only see two basic colors, blue and yellow. According to research, when they see a rainbow, they would see dark blue, light blue, gray, light yellow, dark yellow As an example, a dog apperantly sees orange as a similar color as the green grass. To a dog, they both are yellow and thus a reason why many dog trainers will use Orange when training on grass so the dog uses scent instead of site. So it isn't the dog can't see orange, it is just that they see it as a different color and if two things are both seen as the same color, the dog has a hard time picking it out. See summary of similar topic here: http://www.uwsp.edu/psych/dog/LA/DrP4.htm

A couple of other interesting items. A dog cannot discern a person or object for instance when they stand still if they have no other sense to aid them. They tested this by putting an owner 75 yards away and giving the command to go to the owner, and the dog could not do it. Then they had the owner move slightly, and the dog picked the owner out of a group of people immediately even as they all moved simulataneously.

Tip to the hunter: Do not move or you will get busted. Also the tip is the camoflauge to a dog or coyote probably isn't as good as we think. The camoflauge can help blend possibly into other colors or patterns of light and dark but it may not help that much. Sounds like if you are on greeen grass, an orange jacket might be the best camo. :tn:

Apparently a dog also has much better periphery vision than a human due to where their eyes are positioned so watch out even if they aren't looking directly at you.

There are lots of other interesting facts on dogs hearing and eye sight such as what hz rating on both eye sight and hearing a dog hears and sees. It is ironic that I listen to distress sounds or howling and I say, wow that sounds good. Well, what does it sound like to a dog or coyote? A dog's peak range of hearing gets better as the sounds get higher in fact once it starts to get out of the range of the human ear, it becomes even easier for a dog to hear. Not sure if this is why my belief was always that higher pitch sounds work better but it could be. We blow and blow or play and play sounds and they sound so good to us. I wonder what they sound like to a coyote. I do know one thing, the sounds that I have the most success in using tend to be the ones that get all types of animals wound up. I have a distress sound that I have been literally attacked by cranes in a field, called in coyotes, made cows and horses go nuts etc. It sounds OK to me but it must sound a lot more alarming to the animals and it really, really works.

The more I learn about coyotes/dogs the more I feel it has been more luck than skill over the years to havest them. I wish I would have read a lot more when I was younger as it would have saved me many years of trial and error in the field, not that I don't like being in the field.

If you are intersted in another great read, try http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/icwdm_usdanwrc/530/ , this is a 6 page article/study done on coyotes indicating which coyotes typically defend a territory and why. If you like to howl or use vocalization sounds, this is a very good read.

Another short but good basic read on overall coyote behavior is the following web site.
http://www.bio.davidson.edu/people/vecase/Behavior/Spring2004/holmberg/Holmberg.html
Enjoy

Sorry for the long post.

Littman
02-13-2008, 11:35 PM
Thanks for the info, it is really helpful