PDA

View Full Version : Finally Broke the Slump!

The Baron of Bufflehead
02-23-2008, 06:15 PM
I've come up empty the past several outings for coyotes. I put in a couple of dawn 'til dusk days with no luck, then we had some real dumps of snow and conditions got bad. We had a little rain last week, and then it got cold again so the snow hardened up and the coyotes could move on it. I got out this afternoon. It was a beautiful, sunny day. There were tracks in the field at my first set. Sure enough, I let out one lone howl and not 10 seconds later I spot a dog right at the edge of the field near the far end, looking my way (about 400+ yards away). After a minute standoff, I tried a little rabbit and the dog disappeared. I thought either it had seen me coming in/hanging the caller or it was on the way. I had setup along one fence of the field, with the wind from me left. There was a skidoo track running around the perimeter, and then into the bush about 100 yards away to the right side of the field. I tried more rabbit then after about 15 minutes I tried some coyote pup distress. Sure enough, a nice light grey female stepped out on the skidoo trail about 100 yards away. She was looking at the caller and trying to figure things out. She looked damned nice with the sun on her. I had guessed any dog I would see might come out on that trail, so all I really had to do was bring my trigger hand up slowly and put my cheek on the stock. I think she realized I was there a split second before the hollow point hit her square in the chest.:HP: I played ki-yi's for a minute afterward, but I backtracked her and confirmed she came alone. I had the .222 magnum today and this is my first 'yote with it. I was shooting a stiff handload with a 45gr. Wildcat HP (Canadian made, J4 jacket premium varmint bullet). I was very impressed as it totally ripped the rug out from under her. Knocked the crap out her - literally.:rf:

She is a nice dog, and I am considering getting her mounted, or at least skinned/tanned.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y216/thebaron1/08-2-2301.jpg

Flipper
02-24-2008, 05:09 AM
I have gotten several tanned, they look cool, very long when hanging by their nose. Good job and pick!

DANE-G-RUSS
02-24-2008, 06:45 AM
Very nice looking dog Baron!!! My brother (Hitmen) wanted to get a yote tanned a few weeks back but the taxidermist wanted a fortune :up: . We've been too busy to call yotes for a few weeks now. But after the late season wraps up we should be good to go. Congrats again :TT:

GANDER D. BANDER
02-24-2008, 07:19 AM
Glad to see someone killing something! I drove 2 hours east yesterday morning. Got to first stand about 10 minutes late. I hit a couple of lone howls and they LIT UP! all around me. I thought this is fixin to git good. I called for 45 minutes on that stand. But didn't see a dog! It was like that all day. Good job on the doggy!

BRUNO
02-24-2008, 07:34 AM
That's pretty sweet....at least you're getting out....Man I CANNOT find time to do anything this year...

skb20
02-24-2008, 07:38 AM
Dang, SIR Baron, are you sure you are packing enough ammo in that snazzy little stock jock? -- Better get you two of those bandoliers that go across your chest on a diagonal -- a la Pancho Vila!!

Who loves ya, Buddy? Thanks for the call.:tn:

Quacker-Wacker
02-24-2008, 07:41 AM
Glad to see your slump come to an end. Nice doggie! Nice looking rifle too. I was out this morning and didn't see anything.
Hey, is that your first yote without your lucky shooting stick?

The Baron of Bufflehead
02-24-2008, 07:53 AM
Q-W... yup, first dog since I "lost" my lucky shooting stick. :NW: First one with that rifle too. Could be that the lucky shooting stick is only necessary for the .204? Or maybe the .222 mag is only lucky with the store bought stix? Being superstitious is so complicated.:rf:

Joe... you never know when you are gonna get charged by a pack of angry coyotes! No problem on the call... I was actually phoning to speak to the Boss Hen, but you answered so I kinda had to make conversation. heehee. :nn:

Bruno... hopefuylly you'll get more time next fall. So, what day is your flight to Kingston? It was October something, right?:JW: Come a little later and we could hunt ducks, geese and coyotes!:Rich:

DUCKDIGGLER
02-24-2008, 08:17 AM
Yeah Buddy.....I'm glad your afternoon panned out!

She is a good looking dog for sure....neat gray no doubt...I say tan her for sure!

You are getting pretty damn efficient at this game......Right On!

HitmenWaterFowlin
02-24-2008, 09:38 AM
Congrats on the dog Baron. My buddy (DuckBoy) has an awesome coyote mount at his place, I will take a few pics of it and post it up on here for you. I see you are looking for some ideas for mounts, it may not be a cheap mount by any means but man does it ever look awesome.
Again congrats and keep at er'.

Devon

skb20
02-24-2008, 10:26 AM
..... No problem on the call... I was actually phoning to speak to the Boss Hen, but you answered so I kinda had to make conversation. heehee. :nn: ..........

Yeah, you did seem a little nervous when I answered. :up: Well, I find that news to be both shocking and saddening, SIR (just did not take you for the sort of chap who would be patronizing a "Dirty Verbal Abuse Hotline!!")

hooked on waterfowl
02-24-2008, 01:34 PM
Congrat's Baron, nice too see you get another coyote and get out of your slump.All this talk about coyote hunting and my brother wanting to sell his .17 rem. I think i'm going to seriously try this next year.Way to go!

bigredguy42
02-24-2008, 02:25 PM
Sweet Picture Thanks :TT: :TT:

kirsch
02-25-2008, 10:34 AM
Good shooting Baron. Those long stretches can get tough but it is the faith that the next stand or time out will end it. After you kill one, it is like the drought never happened, isn't it?

Great job and keep after them.

Wood Duck Wizard
02-27-2008, 05:12 AM
Congrats Bud
Glad to see the slump break. She is a nice looking dog for sure!!!

jimfaststeel
02-27-2008, 05:02 PM
Great job and she is a nice one!!!

MallardSX2
02-29-2008, 08:04 PM
Looks pretty tame!