PDA

View Full Version : DOG HUNTIN' ROCKS!

jbaran
02-28-2008, 06:04 PM
WHAT A BLAST! Last week was actually the first time I ever really hunted yotes and let me tell ya it is fun, I am hooked. Sat in a cow pen overlooking a pasture that I had a feeling was active with dogs, messed with some half ass mouth call not really knowing if I was blowing it right and lookee here this 38 lb. female comes walking out.I shot her in the head at 80 yards with my .270. Went out the next am in a blizzard set up on a couple farms nothing but on my 3rd setup out of a ladder stand I call in a bruiser, probably twice the size as this one, to make a long agonizing story short there is one lucky yote and one hurtin' small tree(I swear I never saw the tree with the snow).:CL: but thats hunting. Just when my wife thought hunting season was over, oh well will be back at em' soon. For any of you guys looking to get into it just grab a call get all camoed out and make some calling sequences like you would turkey hunting,or watch a video to learn some tips,these dogs are hungry and if they are in ear shot they will come in, call it beginners luck but if you are hunting uneducated yotes like I am it ain't that hard.Already looking forward to next year (new varmint rifle,calls,gadgets) nothing like a new hobby- I Love It! Have fun!

SSCarnage
02-28-2008, 07:51 PM
I hear ya bro! Just bought me a new dog gun today. Getting it sighted in tomorrow and then putting it to use on Saturday. Hope I get the same luck you did on my first outting.

Congrats on the fine yote!

kirsch
02-29-2008, 06:58 AM
jbaran,

Coyote hunters need very good selective memories. It can be easy as you have been a testament to and it can be very difficult. A good hunting friend of mine shot 4 the first time out and he didn't shoot another one all year. I am not trying to burst your bubble just trying to help when things get tough because if you hunt coyotes a lot, it will get tough.

You are hooked now and that is the best part. My only advice is to keep at it because if you do this long enough you will hit those stretches of 20-30 stands where you don't see or hear a coyote and it is the memories of those first coyotes or great kills that keeps a person after them.

You will learn to have a tremendous respect for coyotes as they always find a way to survive. There are the ones that come in without hesitation and usually die and then the next one that will circle you at 600 yards that you may not even know was there.

Keep at it and keep killing and post your success and welcome to the club.

OhioGooseBuster
02-29-2008, 08:35 AM
The more I read and hear about coyote hunting the more I am getting convinced that I need to try it. This would be a great filler between waterfowl seasons and yet, the wife is gonna shoot me if I start doing it. What is the best time to hunt them?

Jamie-Ohio
aka OhioGooseBuster

The Baron of Bufflehead
02-29-2008, 02:21 PM
Way to go jbaran!:TT: It is a lot of fun. If you stick at it, be prepared for brief but extremely addictive surges of adreneline, punctuated by days (and sometimes weeks) of frustration and feelings of defeat. :rf:

GANDER D. BANDER
02-29-2008, 04:36 PM
SET THE HOOK!!!

Bones
03-03-2008, 11:46 AM
Aw C'mon Jay............your poor family are going to get to see you maybe a day or two around X-mas with this now!!
Congrats - very nice yote!
Bones:TT:

Firehunter
03-04-2008, 07:47 AM
Jay, you should know , hunting season is never over , its just a matter of what season is on, Nice job on the kill. Does this mean we will be having dog kealbasa this year:rf: Also did you find those snow geese yet?

Flocknocker
03-04-2008, 09:27 AM
Very addictive indeed. They are a smart critter!!! Nice to see more guys puttin the smack daddy on em. No matter how many there are they need thinning out, trust me on that one!!

Cliff