PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 creedmore

sharpshooter
03-04-2008, 06:24 PM
I was looking around the other day and I stumbled across this....
http://accurateshooter.wordpress.com/2007/11/07/hornady-introduces-new-65-creedmoor-cartridge/

It looks like a fun cartridge
Any thoughts??

Flocknocker
03-06-2008, 01:12 PM
I don't know Scott. I would stay with a good 243, I just don't see that many pluses with the 6.5. I am having a tuff time deciding what to get for a windy day dog gun myself. I looked at all the 6.5's but I can go 7mm ultra mag and roll my own and have way more gun than any 6.5. Even the Weatherby 257 is way more gun. I even looked at the War Birds. I don't know what to get. I would like a short action but I want all the speed I can get so I'm kinda lost right now. I do know I want to get a Black gun with night vision but we also get a ton of wind here and 224. just don't kick the wind that good. 6.5 would be good but I think stepping up to 7mm is way better. I think the 7 ultmag is going to be around, I had doubts at first but I think it's here to stay. Even the 7 wsm is a better option than the 6.5 in my opinion.

What are your thoughts??

Cliff

The Baron of Bufflehead
03-06-2008, 03:26 PM
The 6.5's are all the rage right now. I hadn't heard or read about that one yet, but I'm sure it would make a fine deer or antelope cartridge. It'd no doubt kill a 'yote too. I uspect it's real appeal is that it comes in those black guns you lucky Americans get to play with in the field.

Wildcats, and other brand new/different cartridge is a lot of fun. If you love guns and handloading, shooting just for fun, testing and retesting, then the odd stuff is a total blast. But if you want a reliable hunting cartridge, I think all the bases are long since covered with more common calibers.

I am quite enamored with the thought of a Kimber 84M Montana in 260 Remington right now. Thanks God I haven't seen one in Canada yet, or I would be out $1,300.:rf:

GANDER D. BANDER
03-06-2008, 05:07 PM
Heres my 2 cents Cliff,
If I can't hit them with a 243 I probably shouldn't be shooting at them anyways. But, I do have a custom 25.06 that I shoot 400 yard shots regularly using a 75 gr Vmax bullet that I can push well over 4,000. But back it down to 3600 to save the throat. I would actually pick the 25.06 over the 243 as a long range gun. Quite a bit more velocity and anymore just about as many options in bullets for it. But obviously not a short action. I do also have a custom 7mm Mag (Howa action, Kreiger medium barrel, Timney Trigger, etc.) I bought it with 600 yards in mind. But realistic I don't shoot that far so it sits in my safe.
I fell into the WSSM trap once with a Browning ABolt 243 wssm. You want to talk about a POS! It was like feeding a square block into a round hole. Not real certain if it was the round or the magazine design of Browning's. But I shot 31 rounds thru it and sold it. It shot very well once you got that short fat case to chamber proper. I will NEVER own another wssm catridge gun. The only thing that MIGHT keep that round alive is a few of the black rifles chambered in it. Otherwise it would fall flat on its face.
The problem I have with any of the wildcats is if I take off on a hunting trip and forget my ammo. There is a near very small chance I will ever find that wildcat. If I were to make a wildcat it would be of the Ackley Improved variety. Atleast then I could in a pinch shoot factory thru it. AI doesn't do a whole lot other then gain you 150 fps. The same thoughts go for this 6.5 cartridge. Try picking it up at a mom and pop shop in the middle of BFE.

sharpshooter
03-06-2008, 09:24 PM
I don't know Scott. I would stay with a good 243, I just don't see that many pluses with the 6.5. I am having a tuff time deciding what to get for a windy day dog gun myself. I looked at all the 6.5's but I can go 7mm ultra mag and roll my own and have way more gun than any 6.5. Even the Weatherby 257 is way more gun. I even looked at the War Birds. I don't know what to get. I would like a short action but I want all the speed I can get so I'm kinda lost right now. I do know I want to get a Black gun with night vision but we also get a ton of wind here and 224. just don't kick the wind that good. 6.5 would be good but I think stepping up to 7mm is way better. I think the 7 ultmag is going to be around, I had doubts at first but I think it's here to stay. Even the 7 wsm is a better option than the 6.5 in my opinion.

What are your thoughts??

Cliff

My thoughts,
I have a Savage model 12 223 varmint, with a 4.5 x 14 Nikon scope and enjoy shooting Jackrabbits/coyotes at long range.
Due to the abundance of Jacks some of the locals are paying me $.40 a jack just for coming to their place and shooting them (please note they came to me and offered this price, which is good for me...more trigger time!) so with 16000+ acres to hunt and 3 day weekends I have plenty of time to practice.
Now to the problem, I want to learn how to hit targets past 350 yds, if a jack is under 300yds I think any one with a fair amount of practice can hit it. My problem is that after that the wind just eats my lunch, I know that part of this is due to the guy behind the buttstock and a little bit of it due to the fact that I shoot 50g ballistic tips. So I decided to step it up a notch and get something a little bigger, I just about had my self talked into a 25-06 and then I found the 6.5 so now I am on the fence again.
On a good night my buddies and I can shoot 120 rabbits in 4 hours, so a gun that doesn't pound you in the ground is what I am interested in. I had a Ruger 7 mag but it would start to get to ya after 15 or 20 rounds so I sold it, one of my buddies shoots a 243 and it is all right I helped him work up some loads for it and it does a good job,the only problem with his gun is that it weighs 5 lbs and has a 20in barrel so I don't shoot it much.
I guess my perfect Gun would be one that weighs in around 12lbs or so and shoots a 80+ gn. bullet at a respectable speed and doesn't cause you to flinch after 50 shots, if it is a weird caliber it's ok because I reload all my rifle ammo. any more suggestions would be great:TT:
And the guy who helps me the most can come shoot Jacks with me and my new rifle:OUCH:

GANDER D. BANDER
03-07-2008, 06:14 AM
You thought about a 22 250 for your rabbit hunts??

sharpshooter
03-07-2008, 09:33 AM
yeah, my brother has one, its sweet....just a little small for the occasional deer hunt

GANDER D. BANDER
03-07-2008, 05:11 PM
Get yourself one with a 1 in 8 or 1 in 9 twist and run heavier bullets. It should also buck the wind a it better. Just a thought.
For your deer hunting.... I have yet to see one surive a good shot to the eyeball.:TT:

sharpshooter
03-07-2008, 06:57 PM
I don't question the killing ability of the 22-250, it is just that the law down here requires a bullet bigger than .224

GANDER D. BANDER
03-08-2008, 08:57 AM
Hmmm..I thought I read where any centerfire was "good 'nuff" in texas for deer hunting.
A couple years back. I had this grand scheme of a 243 or 6mm necked down to .224 by my figures it would do roughly 4500 fps. I did some research on it and found that it has already been done on a 243or 6 mm case called the "224 Texas Trophy Hunter" or ".22-243 Middlestead". I also found that my figures for velocity were off a bit too with. It was actually 5000 fps with a 30 grain bullet. But slowed with a heavier bullet quite a bit but still SMOKIN' fast.

Heres a site you can check out that has velocities and loads for a buncha wildcats. http://www.reloadersnest.com/rifle.asp

Littman
03-08-2008, 02:32 PM
I would hold off a little. The military is close to adopting the 6.8x43mm SPC round to possible replace the 5.56.
Here is a link http://www.rifleshootermag.com/ammunition/remington_0303/

sharpshooter
03-08-2008, 05:57 PM
Thanks guys:TT: :TT:

H-B
03-16-2008, 11:26 PM
The 6.5 has been my favorite caliber since I had my 6.5-300 Weatherby built 8 years ago. Its got a 28" Pac-Nor Supermatch on it and it launches 139 Gr. Lapua Scenars at insane velocities. Its the flattest shooting rifle I own even bettering my 20lb. 32" barreled 30-378 rockchuck gun.
What type of rifle are you wanting to chamber in this round? Another option and one I'll be building soon is the 6.5-284.