PDA

View Full Version : Sold my fur!

Quacker-Wacker
03-06-2008, 03:43 AM
Well I took a trip to the fur dealer yesterday. First time in about 22 years! I ended up with $17 ea for the red fox and only $8 for the coyote. Not bad for doing something I enjoy. The fur on my coyote was thin compaired to some of the coyotes he had. On the other hand he said my reds where very nice and well handled.:uh: I really need to find some Grey fox as he was giving $40 ea!!! I also want to get into some raccoons next year. He told me I just have to skin them and then freeze them, no fleshing or streching ( he prefers to do that himself) and he paid $20 to I think he said $30 max depending on size. It kinda made me mad as I passed a big one up 3 weeks ago during the thaw we had. Dang! thats was an easy $20! It was a very informative trip to say the least. Now I'm better prepaired for next year. :TT:

SSCarnage
03-06-2008, 04:19 AM
Nothing beats getting paid for something you love! And it helps the other guy out too. A little extra cash to spend on toys and ammo never hurts.

duckboy
03-06-2008, 04:46 AM
$20 for a coon. I did not think you could even sell them. It would be no issue to take 150 -200 out of our marsh a year. I just may have to rethink trapping again. Congrats on the sale. The buyer was right, they looked like good hides.

chcltlabz
03-06-2008, 04:48 AM
Pretty sad if you ask me. I remember when a decent red fox brought $75 and so did a grey. Great that you made some money back on things, but pathetic the amounts.

Ah, the good ol' days:VC:

The Baron of Bufflehead
03-06-2008, 04:57 AM
Yeah, fox prices are WAY off were they used to be, but getting anything for the fur is cool since we all love to be out there gettin' 'em. Coon prices are high. I had a look at the fur harvesters auction results from here in Ontario. Coyotes averaged $24 for eastern, $36 for western. I forget what fox were, but coon avergaed $30. Pretty crazy.

Way to go Q-W!! You had all that fun and did not waste the fur. Way to go!:cool: :pl:

Quacker-Wacker
03-06-2008, 06:09 AM
You guy's are right about the good old days. I remember $11 muskrats, $50 coons $80 reds and $65 greys but I'm afraid those days are LOOOONG gone. That was back in the late 70s and back then $100 was a LOT of money!!! I wonder what that would equal out to today? I believe the animal rights people had alot to do with the fall of the fur market.:PO:

chcltlabz
03-06-2008, 07:06 AM
You're telling me. Fox, coon, beaver and coyote populations are out of control, and its only going to get worse when the fur isn't worth anything.

Animal rights nazis have made it so "unPC" to wear fur, everyone's scared to be seen in it. People in general are such lemmings, that since they don't see their favorite moviestar wearing fur, it must not be for them either.

Very sad state in deed. I saw on Fox News that Jenna Jameson is running a brand new PETA ad campaign against leather.:Deb: :uh:

Quacker-Wacker
03-06-2008, 07:59 AM
chcltlabz, You are absolutly correct. I couldn't of said it better myself!!! I had to bite my tounge when I wrote my last post.

SSCarnage
03-06-2008, 08:36 AM
I think Jenna should just stick to what she knows best! lol

I didn't realize what these pelts used to be worth. Its too bad, I would of gotten into fur hunting a lot sooner to make some extra coin to help pay for all my toys!!! lol

salthunter
03-06-2008, 11:08 AM
Prices were hjigh in the 70s because our US dollar's value was so low,
Kind of cool when as a high school kid catchin $500 worth of fur a day. My brother set some traps earlier in the week, he picked up 7 coon the next day, sold them in the carcass for $14.00 average ( Minnesota stained spring boars)

Flocknocker
03-06-2008, 11:49 AM
Yea we used to take ours to the trappers fur sale and make a killin. Heck back then some of the bigger buyers would come right to your house once you got to know them, they had a schedule for this city that day of the month, used to be big dollars in fur!!!

We would wash the hides in shampoo and hang them upside down and dry the fur with a hair drier. Then we would leave em upside down (head down) till we took them to sale. It would make the fir stand up and almost always get us a better grade. Ever watch those buyers snap them furs?? We would also size and grade our dogs in lots so buyers looking for certain things would get allot of what they wanted. Had a buddy who was a big time trapper and he would put my stuff with his and the buyers were always at the door looking for ED's stuff because he did such a nice job. That guy made a ton of money on muskrats, he would wear out a Schrade trapper knife in a year. I think in the good year Ed averaged me $70 a dog. And Bob cats, well you could just about name your price, I sold a few real big cats for $800 to $1000. Them were the days!!!

Paid for allot of guns and toys back then and even paid cash for my 1979 4x4 Ford pickup.

Right now it would just be nice if we could get some dogs with fur on em again, every time I have seen the high numbers like they are we get a jag of mange. Hope this tough winter took care of that. Like to make a few bucks again from what I kill.

QW good job on the fur, not like it once was but it's far better than nothing.

Cliff

salthunter
03-06-2008, 03:57 PM
Paid for allot of guns and toys back then and even paid cash for my 1979 4x4 Ford pickup.

Cliff My 78/79 muskrat check bought me that same truck,. Fox and beaver made my downpayment on two houses,.. bought my lifetime memberships to the Trappers Assn and the NRA

Roy Raymond
03-06-2008, 04:30 PM
The real benefit of knocking these preditor's off is that it'll mean more duck's
and geese for us......The money is an added benefit :uh:

Flocknocker
03-06-2008, 09:04 PM
What??? You mean yotes eat SkyRats??? Well hell I am going to stop shootin em and start raising em.:rf: :rof: :nn:

Cliff