PDA

View Full Version : Vermine Hunting

The Spank
03-06-2008, 12:14 PM
Here are a couple pics for all you varmint/vermine hunters out there. A buddy of mine from Kinburn and a few of his friends used to have their annual spring groundhogin' day. As time went on more and more people got involved until it turned into an annual 1 day competition with prizes and a tailgate supper/beerfest.Unfortunately this day is no longer held but it sure was fun while it lasted. These are from the two years I attended, can't remember specifically but one year was 468 hogs and 435 the other!! Teams were allowed 3 members, 2 shooters and 1 runner(usually a kid). The premise was the team that returned with the most hogs won.My buddy who ran the event had his partner po'd when he pulled out his 458 win.mag and started destroying them!!He had a hard time getting a partner the next year but it was all in fun!!!
http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii256/fgood/th_042_42_00.jpg (http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii256/fgood/042_42_00.jpg)
http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii256/fgood/th_041_41_00.jpg (http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii256/fgood/041_41_00.jpg)

Quacker-Wacker
03-06-2008, 12:41 PM
DAMN! Thats the most dead whistle pigs I've ever seen. Way to go!!! :TT:

Flocknocker
03-06-2008, 01:00 PM
Holly smokes, never seen anything like that before, not even close. Man where we hunt them you don't go get em after you shoot em, you would get ate up with sizzle worms. We just have rock chucks/marmots. We kill allot in the rocky cliffs and across cannons but I never seen nothin like them pictures no way!!! That's what I call a major AZZ Whoppin.

I hear they eat wood chucks back east is that true?? We fried a couple of young ones up and they were ok, sure enough fat little pigs.

Cliff

Jubilee
03-06-2008, 01:42 PM
Now those are some big time piles.

If ya'll could get that many in one day, it looks like they need to be thinned out.

But the .458 Win mag would have been funny. I could see it now: "Dammit quit shooting them with that, there is nothing left to pick up"

The Baron of Bufflehead
03-06-2008, 03:29 PM
Daaaaammn!!!:HP: I used to love hunting groundhogs, but a big day for me was a dozen!

I have eaten groundhog... both BBQ and crockpot. The meat is quite tastey, you just have to watch out for the crazy steel like tendons in every muscle. A head-shot young one makes a fine meal.

I have a friend who came up to my home town one spring to hunt bears. His .270 had technical issues day before he came, so he brought old reliable... a Ruger 77 in .416 Rem Mag. We came across a woodchuck in a pile of old logs. My buddy hit just a hair low - hit the log the 'pig was standing on. I've never seen a woodchuck go that high in the air before!!:rf:

franklauzon
03-06-2008, 03:48 PM
Thank you so much for posting that!! That absolutely makes my day!

Bones
03-06-2008, 03:49 PM
Unfortunately this day is no longer held but it sure was fun while it lasted.
Cause you guys done killed all the breeders :rf: :rf:
Wow - have to say that is a pretty impressive few days - not to mention fun!
Bones

hooked on waterfowl
03-06-2008, 04:11 PM
That's crazy!!I've never seen that many dead ground hogs. I would of loved being a part of that though.Shooting a pile of ground hogs and then some cold drinks and a lot of laughs. Sounds like a great time to me!Way to Go!!!To bad they don't do that anymore.Thanks for sharing.

mike2355
03-06-2008, 04:55 PM
you guys are lucky you dont have winter all year long.. I dont think you guys left any to see their shadow? lol.. Thats the biggest kill picture of anything ive ever saw. looks like a good time... theres always 2 or 3 groundhogs around my pond in the spring.. anyone from my area know if we're aloud to shoot em?

The Baron of Bufflehead
03-06-2008, 05:52 PM
For groundhogs, all you need in Ontario is a small game license and then shoot away! As long as you obey all gun rules/by-laws you're good to go.

SSCarnage
03-06-2008, 05:56 PM
Thats a pretty cool pic! Definitely makes for a fun day of shooting!

mike2355
03-06-2008, 07:00 PM
For groundhogs, all you need in Ontario is a small game license and then shoot away! As long as you obey all gun rules/by-laws you're good to go.

open all season?

The Spank
03-07-2008, 10:37 AM
Holly smokes, never seen anything like that before, not even close. Man where we hunt them you don't go get em after you shoot em, you would get ate up with sizzle worms. We just have rock chucks/marmots. We kill allot in the rocky cliffs and across cannons but I never seen nothin like them pictures no way!!! That's what I call a major AZZ Whoppin.

I hear they eat wood chucks back east is that true?? We fried a couple of young ones up and they were ok, sure enough fat little pigs.

Cliff

They taste like beer!! My friend who ran the shoot dealt in injured livestock and deadstock for a living and at the conclusion of the hunt we would load the carcasses into his 3 ton livestock truck and he would drop them off at the deadstock dealer. They would usually fetch enough to buy 15 cases of beer!!:It sure was alot of fun!!:VC:

The Spank
03-07-2008, 10:40 AM
That's crazy!!I've never seen that many dead ground hogs. I would of loved being a part of that though.Shooting a pile of ground hogs and then some cold drinks and a lot of laughs. Sounds like a great time to me!Way to Go!!!To bad they don't do that anymore.Thanks for sharing.

If they ever ressurrect that hunt I will let everyone know, you would love it. Guaranteed fun!!:

The Spank
03-07-2008, 10:42 AM
Daaaaammn!!!:HP: I used to love hunting groundhogs, but a big day for me was a dozen!

I have eaten groundhog... both BBQ and crockpot. The meat is quite tastey, you just have to watch out for the crazy steel like tendons in every muscle. A head-shot young one makes a fine meal.

I have a friend who came up to my home town one spring to hunt bears. His .270 had technical issues day before he came, so he brought old reliable... a Ruger 77 in .416 Rem Mag. We came across a woodchuck in a pile of old logs. My buddy hit just a hair low - hit the log the 'pig was standing on. I've never seen a woodchuck go that high in the air before!!:rf:

Ive got a video of Taliban geurilla's flying in the air like that after being hit by 50cal. from Canadian snipers in Afghanistan!!

The Baron of Bufflehead
03-07-2008, 11:48 AM
open all season?

Yessir! :TT: Whenever you see them, you can shoot them. Best time is usually in the spring before the grass is long or after each cut of hay.

I just remembered my bud's gun was a .416 Rigby. No big difference, jut wanted to make sure my info was accurate.:Rich:

whytey
03-09-2008, 04:29 PM
They taste like beer!! My friend who ran the shoot dealt in injured livestock and deadstock for a living and at the conclusion of the hunt we would load the carcasses into his 3 ton livestock truck and he would drop them off at the deadstock dealer. They would usually fetch enough to buy 15 cases of beer!!:It sure was alot of fun!!:VC:

I think you made the right choice, beer would be my choice also. :VC:

The Spank
03-19-2008, 07:30 AM
Here is an update: Talked to my bud who originally started this shoot and found out why it no longer takes place.
The final year it was held they killed 863 "hogs" ! They were no longer allowed to take them to the deadstock dealer for animal feed so the guy in charge of disposing of them got the bright idea he would just dump them on the back of one of the neighbours farms as bait for Coyote hunting. Well of course it was summer and you can imagine the stench of 863 hogs rotting in that field. The farmer went to investigate and was shocked at what he found. He had no idea who had put them there so he called the MNR and they went to look. They knew exactly who to go see and he was ordered to clean up the mess and fortunately no charges were laid. Had to rent a backhoe and dump truck to remove. He said the only plus was that that smell stayed in the ground for about 5 years and it drew coyotes to it steady. Said it was the best coyote shooting they have ever had.The downside is that they had no way to dispose of so many hogs any more and the MNR said they would be checking to make sure they did it by the book so it brought about the cancellation of the shoot.

duckboy
03-19-2008, 04:17 PM
we kick them back down the hole and return the next day to clean up the foxs looking for a free meal. Its to bad that your event was cancelled but no one said you cant create something of your own.

Cut-um
03-19-2008, 07:48 PM

Damn T-BOB, you sound like a Cajun that forgot to migrate South from Nova Scotia and moved West instead... :rf: :nn: :rf:

Justin
03-20-2008, 08:08 PM
Cut-um,

I thought cajuns were native... I always thought they crawled out of the gulf on their fins and evolved as a distinct species, along side the rest of us.

No more discovery channel for me... liars!