PDA

View Full Version : GOOD NIGHT! First blood!

GANDER D. BANDER
03-09-2008, 12:31 AM
The last two times I have been out. I either couldn't find anyone to go or got stood up by a 18 year old "calling partner" that would rather chase chicks then coyotes. Both times I have had dogs all over me. Tonight was no exception.
I did a stand trying to kill the pesky fox that has been giving me the slip all winter. He was a no show so I got ready to leave. As I picked up I hit the howler with a nice long locate howl. The valley below came alive with return howls. I headed over that way and got set up.
I started the caller and had eyes in the light almost instantly. In the time it took me to shut down the caller. The single set turned into two, then three, and were all about a 150 yards out in the field. I began to lip squeek which got them all perked up. I quickly scanned around to see, what was now, 6 pairs of eyes coming. I reached for my shotgun and got ready. They were all at about 100 yards now. The lead dog was bouncing on his back legs like a kangaroo the closer he got. ( My thoughts was alright motha' your first! :st: ) Now they are at 75 and not slowing down a bit. I was holding the spotlight in one hand and getting ready to unload the 3" #4 buck at the first one that got to 50 yards. I could see "bouncing boy" clearly and the old 870 BARK! And that it did. The gun tried to jump out of my hand as it rocked me backwards. Which pretty much put the kabosh on a possible double. The split in about 5 opposite directions. I quickly hit a kiyi on the caller I scanned the area to see a set of eyes about 125 yards out. I held my lil' red dot between his lil' red dots and drilled him with the 204. Not sure of the hit but heard the tell tale THWACK!
I headed out to find the victims and found the shotgun'd dog fairly easy as he didn't run at all. I spent the next 20 minutes looking for the rifle dog. Let me tell you if you have never tryed to find a coyote in the dark. It tends to make you a lil' uncomfotable. Not knowing if the SOB is dead or crippled. If he's gonna come out from under a bush and grab you by the ankle. You mind starts playing games and you might as well be looking for a grizzley bear. I finally found him as I stepped on him laying in the grass. (Yes I can admit I screamed like a girl :rof: ) I grabbed him by the ear and noticed I hit a little off from where I was holding when I fired the shot. I didn't hit him between the eyes. I SHOT HIS EYEBALL OUT! :TT:
What a great night!!! It was the first time I have had a chance to take one out with the 870 "Predator Hunter"

SSCarnage
03-09-2008, 06:01 AM
Congrats on the double! Not too often that happens but its great when it does!

hooked on waterfowl
03-09-2008, 06:34 AM
Congrat's!Great story, where are the pictures?

The Baron of Bufflehead
03-09-2008, 07:59 AM
Right on! That night hunting sounds like a real rush. I have hunted racoons at night and just the idea of being out at night with a gun and spotlight always made it fun. Sometimes the sounds coming out of the caller are pretty eerie even during the day, but I can only imagine at night it must really make the hairs on your neck stand up!

jimfaststeel
03-09-2008, 09:48 AM
Great job and Congrats!!

GANDER D. BANDER
03-09-2008, 10:03 AM
Unfortunatly I didn't have the camera with me I usually don't carry it at night as I try to go as light as possibly. Which is a BIG diffrence from day hunting. 2 guns, video camera and tripod, caller (blind) bag, Trukey vest that has various crap in it. I feel like sanford and son go coyote hunting. :rof: