PDA

View Full Version : barrel breakin?

jimfaststeel
03-09-2008, 10:53 AM
After getting into this coyote hunting at night with a shotgun, I decided to buy a rifle. I've got a new Savage model 16fcss in 22-250 with a 6-18X42 scope, dewey rod, tipton gun vise, lots of cleaning supplies, some Black Hills gold and Nosler ammo, and I'm waiting on the Lucas two piece bore guide to get here.
I've read so many articles on breaking in a new bore, my head is about to explode. I'd like to know what you guys do to break in. I also picked up a box of loaded Final Finish ammo, (fire lapping rounds). Has anyone had any experience with this?
Have never been much into rifle hunting and the knowledge I have would fit on top of a pinhead.
Any info and advise would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks!!

GANDER D. BANDER
03-09-2008, 12:13 PM
Dang man you went all out to do it right! I personally shoot and clean it like I would normally. Weather it has had 10 rounds or 600. you will 10 diffrent answers on this, who knows what the "true secret" is. Just shoot it and enjoy it. Weather its a MOA or a SUB MOA a coyote isn't gonna know the diffrence.

The Baron of Bufflehead
03-09-2008, 02:43 PM
Ahh... the barrel break-in debate. This is akin to the old .30-06 vs. .308 and Ford vs. Chevy discussions.:rf:

My personal superstition (and it may be no more than that) is that "proper" barrel break-in involves cleaning thoroughly after every 5 rounds, for about the first 20. Then after every 10 or so for the next 50. In my mind, this maximizes the rate at which microscopic imperfections are lapped out by the bullets, by making sure any little bumps or scratches in the barrel don't get protected by a build-up of copper. It is logical, but mine is just one of several such opinions.

I have never tried those fire lapping kits (bullets with decreasing grit embedded in them). These kits also make sense and I have been tempted.

Proper barrel break in is nearly impossible to determine or measure, because you never really know what quality of barrel you started with. If I do my method and end up with a barrel that shoots tiny groups and resists fouling, there's no way for me to know the barrel wasn't just destined to be good.

I say do whatever feels right to you. IMHO, you've got a real nice setup there, and you'll be knocking 'yotes over from ther get go!:HP: :cool:

Now that you have let the cat out of the bag, so to speak, we're going to have to see a picture of your setup.:hest: :TT:

jimfaststeel
03-09-2008, 04:01 PM
Sent you a pic Rob. I s%&* at posting pics.
Really good advise guys, Thanks for the help!:TT:

The Baron of Bufflehead
03-09-2008, 04:04 PM
Cool. My e-mail is on my work computer, so I'll get it in the morning. When I pick up the pic, should I post it for you Jim?:TT:

jimfaststeel
03-09-2008, 04:13 PM
Sure, if you would. It's nothing fancy by no meens, just looking to get the job done.
Thanks a bunch guys for the help!!!:TT:

SSCarnage
03-09-2008, 09:45 PM
Congrats on the new rig! I've been cleaning mine after every 10 rounds so far, mind you it has only seen 100 so far. I'm happy with the accuracy so far, no yote stands a chance!

The Baron of Bufflehead
03-10-2008, 06:35 AM
No problem Jim... I'll let you add the story for the night hunt success pic.:cool:

IMHO you just can't go wrong with a stainless/synthetic .22-250 for coyotes. And that Savage will no doubt shoot good.:DR:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y216/thebaron1/Jeffsmoonlightdoubleyotes.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y216/thebaron1/readytobreakherin.jpg

SSCarnage
03-10-2008, 08:14 AM
Greatly looking gun and dogs Jim. Looks like you went all out and treated yourself quite good!

jimfaststeel
03-10-2008, 07:18 PM
Thanks guys. My buddy is in the yote pic. The last time out at night. We should of had two more, but got busted. The bloody one took it to the head at 14 paces. They sure are some sneaky critters.

Flocknocker
03-12-2008, 08:36 PM
Your hooked!!!!! Nice looking rig that will sure put em to sleep, I just absolutely love my 22-250, hope you will as well.

For breaking in I always do a 3 to 5 shot group and then clean real good for about 100 rounds then I don't clean the bore unless it gets wet or dirty. I don't know why but this is the way I was tough when I shot for Team USA as a 10 year old kid. Has worked well for me. But those new break in shells will get any rough spots on the bore out. All depends on how the barrel was made, rolled or button bored and if the button was about to be replace or was new. I have a 7mm mag that still after 40 years still has one rough land in the barrel. The gun will shoot 1/2 MOA so I leave it alone now. I was going to send it back but worked at it with some lapping compound and it all worked out well. But I could never get part of that one land cleaned up. After all the meat that gun has brought home and all the wild places it has seen I think I will keep on shooting it for the rest of my life.

Cliff

jimfaststeel
03-13-2008, 03:26 PM
Cliff your right, I'm hooked and in a bad way. We're already planning a trip out west for some big ol' woolies next January. My next gun will be the same but in a 7MM Rem for our NR Kansas deer hunt this year. Gonna have to get a bigger gun cabinet.
After hearing what you guys suggest, I will be doing the fire three rounds/clean method and going from there. It won't happen til I get my daughter's bedroom all finished up.
Thanks a bunch for the help on making up my mind. I really appreciate the info.:TT:

GANDER D. BANDER
03-13-2008, 05:04 PM
If you want to get into some western coyotes, next year, let me know. I got a few spots that produce fairly regularly. Another option is WY for prairie dogs in the spring/summer. Not sure where Rockwell City is but it's about 10 hr's west of Omaha on I80. Your TwoFity would bring some "hell" on them forsure. I grew up around Tama/Toledo My family still lives there, they come out for our family Antelope "massacre" every year.