PDA

View Full Version : Magazine options

Justin
03-10-2008, 06:44 PM
Well, the .243 is going to get shipped off soon to become the ultimate carry rifle for dogs. 2" is going to come off the barrel, a mcmillan stock will be added along with pillar and glass bedding, the action trued, trigger honed and all the bells and whistles that really don't mean a whole lot (except psychologically) when you start with a sub MOA rifle to begin with.

BUT, I'm debating whether to go with a hinged floor-plate design or a blind magazine. Murphy's law dictates the more moving parts you have, the greater liklihood of something going wrong.

The hinged plate that came on the gun (rem 700 CDL) is put together rather poorly in my opinion and I have to visually check to make sure its lined up with the catch on the triggergaurd.

Is there any reason (other than slight unloading hassle) NOT to go with a blind magazine? What am I missing?

GANDER D. BANDER
03-10-2008, 08:20 PM
The advantage of a magazine is if you do alot of driving. It is easier to just drop the clip when you go too get in your vehicle. I have dropped many rounds in the snow over a stupid floor plate. I wish all my rifles had a clip. I have a Savage 340 in 222 Rem that has a clip. If I am going to be in and out of the truck alot I usually grab it.

The Baron of Bufflehead
03-11-2008, 04:48 AM
I think it's a matter of personal preference. My Rem 700 LVSF is a blind magazine. Yeah, you have to run all the rounds through it it unload, but that only takes a few seconds. I kinda prefer a floor plate myself, but if you are saying the floorplate you have is not well made you'd be best off to buy a quality replacement. As for clips, I'm not a big fan. Sure, if say you were running dogs and needed to jump in and out of the truck it would be handy, but for a calling rifle I can't ever see a need to be in such a hurry. For me, I tend to leave something behind everytime I get out of the truck, and so a clip would be just one more thing to lose.:rf:

Sounds like you're going to have one sweet rifle when you are done!!:cool: